Need the sleuths' and seers' advice | FerrariChat

Need the sleuths' and seers' advice

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by willrace, Oct 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Anybody know this car? Anybody know this conversion? Haven't been able to find anything on Autowest.
    From further down on the ebay page:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Ferrari-400i-Convertible-by-Straman-40K-Miles_W0QQitemZ180418073181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a01c1525d
    Ran up to $30K in a day with what I call "buddy bids", then pulled before its end date of tomorrow.

----------------------

Then there's this one - Absolutely gorgeous 365GT4
    What's a good number on this one? $30K? $35K? $50K
    Anyone know this car?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Ferrari-365-GT4-2-2_W0QQitemZ330368483989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4ceb7f0295
    Don't know yet if 14,500 was two years ago, or twenty.

Yes, I'm still looking, and these are some good candidates, if they have the right backgrounds.
    If there's good news, it might be time to request a PPI.

I'd appreciate anything you guys have.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can tell you that this car was for sale in October of 2002 advertised with 36,000 miles and for sale again in January of 2004 with 24,400 miles :eek:

3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    lmaaooff!!

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 Ashman, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Yes, from a couple of different sellers in St. Louis and in Florida. So much for the "one owner" claim. More recently offered in May by another seller in CO as a bank repo.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Guess the one owner drove it in reverse for 12,000 miles.

6. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Is this the Autowest-cut 400, or the 365?
    Seller claims the car (400 convert.) was put up as collateral by the orignal owner.......hmmmmm......This is starting to sound like a "story car"..........
    I wonder if the owner was named Cameron.......with a friend name Ferris....
    I didn't get any hits on the 400's Ser.#, but it could serve a dual-purpose: a manual 365/400, and the convertible I've been wanting to add for good weather. It just wouldn't be the carbed car I'd prefer. And then, there's the consistency of its "history".....

Anything on the 365?

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 365 is one of Steve Alderman's old cars. He bought and sold quite a few for a while. It was up for sale in April of '07 at Steve's place in Virginia for $57k with 21k miles on it. I think he sold it in October of that year. I believe he bought it in California in 2006.

8. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Thank you, Dave.
    Soooo, the 14,500 mechanical was at least 3 years ago, probably even more.

From both the appearance, and the inset shield in the pass. door panel, I'm guessing that this isn't the original interior (interesting touch, though, if a little over the top). I like the colors, inside and out.
    The red valve covers (Look, Verne!!! A one-off Testa Rossa!!), and red calipers don't look quite right, either, but overall, it could be a good candidate, and has a few updates.
    Bloated Sunvisor Sydrome........redundant horsie on the console, and a few others to alleviate all doubt.......

Am I missing any more picks to be concerned about?

I'll check on both later today, if I can. Thanks again, guys.

9. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone else wonder why a car with 14,500 miles needed a complete top and bottom rebuild of the engine, transmission and suspension? The only thing that might make sense is replacing suspension rubber bushings because of age but the engine and transmission have no belts or other age related wear items and should last a LOT more miles before needing to be opened up.

Something doesn't compute here. Seller says he has receipts for work so it would be interesting to see who, when, and what.

10. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    It's easy to have rings and valve seals deteriorate if it sits for a long enough period of time, or run it too warm once and the situation is equally bad.
    Tom B

11. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    And the transmission? Lots of unknowns about the history, aren't there?