"Slow Down" flashing on the 360 | FerrariChat

"Slow Down" flashing on the 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by ThreeSixty, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    It has happened a couple of times in the last three weeks. Ironically, I wasn't even driving it hard when this occurred. In fact, I always wait until the oil temp hits the line before I start "driving" it. After a few minutes, it goes away. I've heard that this may be due to the computer that detects the catalytic converter. What do you think? Any input/info will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Schumi76

Schumi76 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Did you recently installed a aftermarket exhaust system like a Tubi or X-Ost ???

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    When I had my360 the dealer told me this light comes on when the car is run hard and fast. It is a sign of over heating.

I never hsd the light come on.

Lee

4. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    I get that all the time on my CS. But it's usually something flashing on the outside.

5. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    It's had the Capristo for a few years now...

6. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Wondering what happened on your cs -"something flashing on the outside", can you please clarify, Bill?!

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Im thinking the long arm of the law :):)

8. technician F

technician F Karting

Sep 15, 2009
    May be engine problem cause high temperature at the catalytic convertor,failure of the catalytic convertor ECU or the earth of catalytic convertor ECU resistance too high.

9. RC33

RC33 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2005
    Garden City
    Full Name:
    RC33
    Is the "Slow Down" light flashing Red or Orange?

Orange flash is problem in the e-diff or transmission. This happen to my ride before after some hard high speed driving and upon further inspection at the dealership, some component in the F1 transmission was leaking for quite some time but we did not know it was dripping on the rear diffuser under tray cover. Fix the leak, filled up the fluid and the problem never recurred.

Red Flash is a problem with the Exhaust/Cat temp being too high.

10. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    To add to Avantegarde's comments. I recently had a leak in my F430's F1 gearbox bleeder valve. The result was the slow down light and intermittently the F1 gearbox warning light flashing. Well the first time it was taken in for diagnosis the result was the dealer tightened up the bleeder valve and replenished the gearbox fluid and the lights stopped coming on.....at least for a while. The lights and symptoms returned and this time the diagnosis was to replace the valve and the pump for the F1 gearbox.....7 grand later the car runs perfect and yeah it was out of warranty by the time the second diagnosis occurred. Be sure to have them run the tests related to the F1 gearbox and how much the pump is running during shifts, that should tell you a lot about what is actually going on. Unless it is just a Cat acting up and in that case never mind.

11. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    @ Avantgarde - Now that I'm trying to imagine it, I'm not sure if it's in Orange or Red... my best guess would be Red.

@ Street&Track - Good insight; however, mine is a 6-speed manual. Would that still relate to what you're saying?

12. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Had this happen to me. Dealer searched for a year with no conclusions until I did some investigation myself. I fould a small vacuum hose on one side of the air intake manifold disconnected. That`s all it was. My Slowdown was also intermittent.

13. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Thats my thought as well...LOL

14. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    It is not the pump for the F1 gearbox since you don't have one. It could be any number of things up to and including a software glitch or just a hot cat or even just low oil pressure, which could be any number of causes. Keep tabs on it and good luck, I assumed you had a F1 paddle shifter.....my bad.

15. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    What's the oil temp gauge say when you see the slow down warning light?

16. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Flashing slow down light indicates the ECU believes a cat temperature is well above normal. This will NOT happen under hard driving if everything is OK.

It is either: bad cat, bad temp sensor, or bad temp sensor ECU.

If the mixture is too rich for some reason, the extra fuel overloads the cat and causes it to overheat. Do not ignore the problem, get it sorted. It could be something simple (the 355 ECUs are notorious for failure) but it could be a significant problem.

17. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    This happens when the engine's cold. This morning, I took it to my Ferrari mechanic. I was still driving out of my community at 10mph when it started flashing. I just got off the phone with him, and he said it's not the cat. He's not done checking... so, more updates to follow. Hopefully nothing major for my own sake :)

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    have you had any of the 2 cat ecu sensors ever replaced?

19. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    well, that means you are driving too fast through a residential neighborhood. The Ferraris are very advance cars that can detect residential speed limite, and when you are going too fast it will flash the slow down warning light.

20. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    That's the 355 failure. The heat cracks the case and moisture (or more heat) screws up the ECU. I just swapped mine out last weekend, had a flashing slow down light. I was pretty sure it wasn't the cats, since my car doesn't have them.

Angus ferrier likes this.
  21. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Have him check all the ground wires. I think there are 3. On my car one of the sleeves was loose inside. Same symptoms as yours. Took us forever to find it.

22. scarlet38

scarlet38 Karting

Jan 24, 2007
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Happened to my previous 355 and also my current '99 360. In my case, the heat in the engine bay cracks the Cat ECU case and caused the malfuction. The replacement Cat ECU appears to be an upgraded part with better and stronger casing.

23. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    drove my friends 360 eng was cold driving slow in neighborhood than slow down light flashing for about 2 mins than went away ?

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #24 Need4Spd, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    I seem to have the blinking red slow down light, but only when driving it hard, and not all the time. It seems to happen most if I stay in a relatively low gear, and am on-throttle, off-throttle at lot at relatively high RPM, as you would driving fast on a back road. Perhaps the high vacuum is sucking extra fuel into the exhaust and overheating the cats, but that's purely a guess (and that can't be "normal" I would think). I suppose I'll need to have the codes read (if there are any) and the issue checked out, but if anyone's had this issue or has an idea what it could be, please post. Also will add this is only when fully warm and driving for some time.

25. 4EverRosso

4EverRosso Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I've had the light pop on intermittently for about a year now. No real rhyme or reason but generally it's after i've been running at low RPM's for a while (like following a truck in 6th on a crowded 2 lane HWY going 55). If I downshift and give it some gas, it turns off.

It sounds like yours pops on when you are actually hitting it hard in low gears when the car is likely running at its hotest so it might actually be a temp problem in your cats.

shirazzzy likes this.