Freshened Interior: 328 | FerrariChat

Freshened Interior: 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robz328, Nov 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
  2. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Nice looking leather, and carpeting. Nice looking Mustang as well!

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What happened to the top row of knobs on the console? :confused:

4. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I removed the AC system; it was discharged when it arrived, so I removed it so that I could work on the engine when necessary. I do plan to utilize AC later, but with newer technology. Also, I removed the cigarette lighter since it is the wrong size for powering current 12V items, and, of course, poses a fire hazard.

Anyone want to buy an AC system?

5. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    nice machine!, care to share any more info on what u exactly did?

Cheers

Paul

6. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Really Nice !!!

7. treventotto

treventotto Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Alicante
    Full Name:
    Benjamin
    Nice!
    Working on the black interior of mine, will post pics soon.
    Noticed your inner door opener is not in the same place as mine.
    Do you know which parts are genuine leather and which are not?

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Basically, this was a full reconditioning. Here's the list in no particular order of importance:
    1. crafted / installed a set of custom carpeting with corded piping;
    2. recolored the leather with Leatherique;
    3. fabricated the speaker panels with red covering and speaker grilles;
    4. made the block plate on the console (I will be putting a Ferrari script on it when it arrives);
    5. installed a set of aluminum pedals and shift knob;
    6. repaired the spring-loaded envelopes on the door panels;
    7. reconditioned the insides of the door (after cleaning/lubricating, my windows operated faster);
    8. reconditioned/rebuilt the AC vent registers (I still use the vent fans as desired, even though the AC is removed);
    9. recovered the parcel shelf items with black vinyl material (like the dashboard);
    10. replaced the interior center light above the windscreen;
    11. cleaned/lubricated the seat mechanical items;
    12. cleaned the seat belts / actuators.

I most certainly did not want to simply replace everything due to the high cost: spending 20% of the car's value was not my goal. I feel that my skills in restoration are acceptable for this project. In all, I am generally pleased with the finished interior. Also, I am still deciding how I want to restore the targa top...any ideas?

Thanks for all the fine comments.

Rob

9. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #9 Robz328, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    I forgot to recall for the last post, an earlier effort as well:
    13. replaced the steering wheel (MoMo Montecarlo), including adding a 1" spacer;
    14. completely rebuilt the steering column switch;
    15. completely cleaned/insulated the interior electronics, including replacing relays and cleaning the relay panel and all connectors;
    16. removed the third brake light (obstructed my rear view);
    17. replaced the rear-view mirror and vanity mirror glass.

Thanks again,
    Rob

10. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Good luck with your black interior. Just spend quality time with everything and, if your skills are good, you will have a beautiful interior. With regard for leather, all the items in tan are real leather; all black and red are vinyl. BTW, I custom-built the red door panel inserts; these would usually consist of carpeting.

Don't know about any differences in the interior door openers.

11. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can I see a pic of the rear shelf? I'm debating recovering mine in vinyl as well.

Did you replace the rear view mirror with an OEM piece, or aftermarket? I've got a universal fit mirror that doesn't quite fit between the visors. I'm not excited about spending $250 for a used Ferrari item.

12. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Pep Boys and epoxy for mounting. Looks close to OEM and I save 10X in cost. BTW there is a thread for using black for the parcel shelf...also has a nice 308 close-up of new leather:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237990&highlight=parcel&page=6

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Heck with all that - tell us about the Mustang! :)

14. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Same here. Enjoy the ride (in both cars)

15. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #15 Robz328, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Interior of the Stang is gorgeous.

17. LuigiVee

LuigiVee Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2007
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Volpini
    Are you certain its a '65? I ask only because the gauges are '66's. The odd scary thing about this stang is:
    A) I had this EXACT (GT & color combo) fastback. it was also a '65 but i changed out the gauges as I liked the '66 better. Also converted it to a 4-speed.
    B) I sold it after I 'restored' it (and I use the term loosely) 27 years ago.
    C) I used the money for an engagement ring, wedding & honeymoon.
    and
    D) Its for sale...hmmmm
    I still have the same wife, but if i brought home yet another car I might not. And I know that today, it would cost me a lot more to replace her than the price of the car!
    good times. good times. Thanks for sharing!

18. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    definitely a 65, but with upgraded stuff. I saw a pic of the interior in a book and loved it, so I installed that (66 blue/white); same for the gauges and pony stuff.

More details on the craigslist ad I published:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1447136693.html

Sorry for deviating from the spirit of the forum: I am truly enjoying my 328, and plan to be doing much more with it. I completed the Mustang a couple of years ago, and now have entered the "Ferrari challenge:" since Ferrari parts are so expensive, I am challenged to complete the restoration work with a reasonable cost; thus I need to be much more inventive with the Ferrari than with the Ford. I am selling the Mustang since I enjoy the restoration work more than attending car shows; It's my hope that someone would enjoy taking the Mustang to shows; I only drive it to keep in in good shape.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Rob

19. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    #19 Robz328, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All,
    Attached are some pics of the parcel shelf, especially taken for viper_driver.

Also attached is a pic of my billet aluminum pedal covers.

Also is a pic of my freshly-cleaned engine bay. For the detailed-oriented viewers, you will notice that all the stickers are missing. I plan to replace them, but only after I find a replacement metal AGIP plate; I had to mangle it to remove it, since the rivet pins were loose. So, I don't want to finish until I obtain the very important plate.
    Any recommendations?

Again, thanks for the comments.
    Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Rob,

Do you have any pictures of the rear shelf without the material or maybe the process of removing and replacing the material?

I am considering my options on replacing the material on my rear shelf and I would love to learn as much as I can about the process of removing and replacing material in that area and just get a general idea of how that area is put together.

If you don't have any pictures, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. For example, what was the hardest part of the job, what part of the job surprised you the most, things like that.

Thanks a bunch,

-F

22. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    ICP only had the AGIP plate for Ferraris up to 1984. It's a different size than for our 328's.
    Thanks for your excellent search efforts, though. They do have all the rest of the labels.
    Birdman has a few as well.
    ...still looking.

To reply to furmano, I did not take pics of the dismantling. Basically, you rip off the old stuff, prep the parts and glue on the new. All parts but the part just below the rear window were metal and could be prepped with sanding. The part under the window is fiberglass and is bolted through the fire wall. You will need to remove it from the engine bay. The nuts are behind the heat shield. The glue I used was spray adhesive and CA thick. Also, only get material that is NOT FUZZY on the back...should look like fabric for vynil backing and leather should be bare. The fuzzy stuff will not adhere and be smooth.

Good luck all.
    Rob

23. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thanks for the description. Though I am working with a 328, any and all information about the construction of the rear shelf in either the 308 or 328 is helpful.

I think the 308 and the 328 are a little different as I think the vertical piece below the rear window is a separate component, finished in the same material as the shelf but with a different piece of material. If I do refinish the shelf I will do it in the original corduroy material.

Thanks again,

-F

24. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Oh I didn't realise that they were different..when I was looking at it though it was for the GT4.I thought they were the same...I must go and have another look

25. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Furman,Rob is working on a 328 so it should be the same as your car.I'm not sure if there is a difference between the GTS and the GTB though