High Museum, The Alllure of the Automobile | FerrariChat

High Museum, The Alllure of the Automobile

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by andy308, Jan 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    For those of you that may be interested, the High Museum in Atlanta will be having an exhibition 3/21 - 6/20/2010 entitled "The Allure of the Automobile", the following is lifted from the High website:

The Story of Allure of the Automobile
    From Exhibition Guest Curator Ken Gross

Last year, the High's Curator of Decorative Arts Ron Labaco contacted me to help develop a new concept for an automobile design exhibition. Conceived as the first exhibition to consider the stylistic development of automobiles in the context of prominent design movements like Art Moderne and Post-war Modernism, the sections of The Allure of the Automobile will trace the evolution of the motorcar in the Golden Age, from 1930 to 1965.

To locate the cars, I drew upon my experience as the former Executive Director of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles; my background as a Pebble Beach Concours Judge for twenty years; my extensive automotive literature collection; and for over 55 years, my personal research as a keen hobbyist, who has always been interested in fine cars.

Created for the privileged few, these luxurious, custom-built automobiles embodied speed, style and elegance; they influenced and were influenced by contemporary art, architecture, fashion and design. The artistry and craftsmanship shown during this era of auto-making is remarkable. Many of the automobiles that will be on display are one-of-a-kind or were built largely by hand and in small numbers.

Our lenders include many noted collectors: Bob Bahre, Chip Connor, Sam Mann, Bruce Meyer, Peter Mullin, Jon Shirley, and others. Some automobiles are on loan from automakers' company museums, such as General Motors, Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, and others come from renowned museums and collections including the Petersen Automotive Museum, the Collier Collection, the Cofer Collection, and the Blackhawk Collection.

The Examples in Allure of the Automobile

• 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow
    • 1934 Packard Twelve Runabout Speedster, formerly owned by Clark Gable
    • 1935 Duesenberg JN Roadster, formerly owned by Clark Gable
    • 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster
    • 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante Coupe
    • 1937 Delage D8-120S, Surbaisse, formerly owned by Louis Delage
    • 1937 Hispano-Suiza H-6C "Xenia" Coupe
    • 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C2900B Touring Berlinetta
    • 1938/39 Porsche Type 64 Coupe replica
    • 1953 Porsche 550 Le Mans/La Carrera Panamerica Coupe
    • 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SLR "Uhlenhaut" Coupe
    • 1957 Jaguar XKSS Roadster, formerly owned by Steve McQueen
    • 1961 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato
    • 1961 Ferrari 250 Short-Wheelbase Berlinetta, "SEFAC Hot Rod"
    • 1948 Tucker Model 48 Torpedo
    • 1954 Dodge Firearrow III Concept Coupe
    • 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham
    • 1959 Chevrolet Corvette "Bill Mitchell" Stingray Prototype

2. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Sounds like a good reason for an F-Chat gathering. Maybe 3/27, meet about 3 pm check out the exhibition and then dinner at 1280.

Just throwing out an idea, any other suggestions, especially for dinner, are more than welcome!!

3. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been waiting for this one ever since it was announced - can't wait.

4. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    +1

I found out about it months ago and can't wait!

And for any architecture buffs, they currently have a John Portman exhibit on. He designed much of downtown Atlanta as well as several famous worldwide buildings including the Renaissance Center in Detroit, where GM has its headquarters. I haven't been yet (going this weekend) but it looks neat.

5. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    From your list, a 1961 is the last year. Are you going to have later models?

6. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    1930 to 1965 is the time period covered. I do not know any other cars than what were listed.

7. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    I have already started the process to get advance tickets...as I've said before, I am and always will be a lifetime member of the High! We are truly lucky to have a world class museum here to enjoy these priceless works of art.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  9. kevinmosleyI

kevinmosleyI Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Mosley
    The 250 TR is Bruce Meyer's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keAnMnAxkew&feature=related
    :D

Does anybody know if they allow pictures/video of this exhibit? I know their normal exhibits are o.k. to use cameras in, but I wouldn't think they would allow it on their special events. What a great lineup of cars, though! -kevin

10. sprio

sprio Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    I should think photos would be allowed. We went to the MFA in Boston when Ralph Lauren's collection was on display, and everybody had cameras.

11. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I think so, although one of the last special exhibits (I think it was the impressionists) did not allow photographs... though for more obvious reasons.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They might allow cameras, but perhaps not the use of flash -- better check and see how your camera does at ISO 800 or 1600.

13. kevinmosleyI

kevinmosleyI Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Mosley
    Just bringing this topic back to the top. The exhibit starts on the 21st of March and ends on the 20th of June. It may be a bit early, but we should kick around some ideas about an F-chat get-together. Also, here is an interactive page which displays some of the exhibit's highlights:
    http://www.high.org/autos/get-in-gear.html
    Not sure if it has been on there, but I think it is a recent addition to the site. -kevin

14. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    When I was at Caffeine and Octane this weekend I met the "Sr. Manager of Special Events" and mentioned to him that a bunch of us wanted to come down and see the exhibition. He did say we could have some upfront parking.

So when do we want to do this? I know that 3/27 was mentioned but do we want to try a date in Mid April to give people time to plan and maybe some warmer weather.

Let me know and I will email him.

15. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Andy......I'm in.

Probably not a bad idea to find a later date, something before it ends, but, not at the beginning when the "newness" will have the place packed.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They also have a current show about John Portman, the famous architect who invented the atrium lobby, like the one at the Hyatt Regency, and I want to see that as well. That show ends on April 18, so sometime before then would be ideal. But I'll be out-of-town on March 27.

17. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    I am totally going to this.

18. Samir

Samir Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    The local British Car Club is planning on going to this too as a day cruise. Sounds like a great event.

19. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Can't wait. My wife and I are going Monday night to a Patron preview but I plan on going back to take my son and if there is a group from here.

20. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I was lucky enough to be among the very first to check out the exhibit tonight, as my employer, Porsche Cars North America, got a sneak preview since we are a sponsor. I was delighted that they let us take all the photos we wanted - they will follow momentarily. :)

21. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #21 ddemuro, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As promised, attached are photos from the event. The cars are:

- 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow
    - 1934 Packard LeBaron Runabout Speedster
    - 1935 Duesebnerg JN Roadster
    - 1937 Bugatti Type 57S Atalante (six exhaust tips!)
    - 1937 Delage D8-120S
    - 1937 Dubonnet Hispano-Suiza H-6C Xenia
    - 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
    - 1938 Alfa-Romeo 8C2900B Touring Berlinetta
    - 1938-1989 Porsche Type 64 (body shell)
    - 1948 Tucker Model 48 Torpedo
    - 1953 Porsche 550
    - 1954 Dodge Firearrow III
    - 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SLR (plaid seats!)
    - 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham
    - 1957 Jaguar XK-SS (ex-Steve McQueen)
    - 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray
    - 1961 Aston-Martin DB4 Zagato
    - 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SEFAC SWB

The exhibit is really nothing short of fantastic. I'm not much of an older car guy, but seeing these unbelievably beautiful cars here is really something special. They also do really feel like pieces of art, and even I felt privileged and excited to be among such wonderful vehicles. And I'm someone who couldn't tell a Packard from an old Cadillac! Some of the design and detail work - like the windows on the Delage, the interior of the Bugatti and Pierce-Arrow, and the entirety of the 540K - is truly beyond words. The Corvette Sting Ray looks like a Hot Wheels brought to life. To me and among the others I spoke to, the general consensus was that the best car was the 540K, whose presence was absolutely astounding.

There are also neat laminated cards with facts about the cars you can borrow while you look at the car, which are fun as they give engine, power, and top speed data. In addition, the plaques in front of each car very appropriately present information, background, and specs about the cars in simple but still car-guy appropriate language.

My photos do not do these vehicles or this exhibit justice - I hope everyone enjoys the exhibit as much as I did. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Outstanding!

Thanks Doug.

Ciao,
    George

23. Samir

Samir Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    Fantastic! It looks well worth the trip. :)

24. Lanikai

Lanikai Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Will Campbell
    That's one of the nicest SWB's in existance. That car was consigned throuogh Adrian Hamilton some years ago and spent a brief pre-Cavallino stay at our store. Truly a time warp example of that period with a fantastic pedigree. Love the two vintage Porsches and the Jag.

25. kevinmosleyI

kevinmosleyI Karting

Apr 30, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Mosley
    Thanks for sharing, Doug! Just so you know, your "DB4 Zagato" link is actually a link to a pic of the Bugatti's exhaust tips. ;) -kevin