Running barefoot | FerrariChat

Running barefoot

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zack, Feb 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #1 Zack, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone here do it? I am slowly conditioning my feet muscles for it. Managed 3.5 miles yesterday. From the tightness in my calf muscles and the soreness on the outside of my feet, I can tell that it's going to be great conditioning. I am just worried about injuries. Once the conditioning is good enough, I plan to run long distance races in Huarache sandals like these:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #3 Zack, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    That's really funny! When we were learning offensive kicks in my Krav Maga classes, we would sometimes say "This. Is. SPARTA!!!!!" as the attacker came in and we tried to smash our feet through his chest cavity.

Not sure if the yelling adds or removes power, but it looked good if you got the timing right. And no, we weren't wearing the sandals, although our groin guards made us look very well hung!
    :)

4. speedy4500

speedy4500 Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2004
    I don't run completely barefoot, but I mentioned in another thread I've given up on ultra-cushioned trainers for everything. Now just using old old sneakers with minimal cushioning and definitely the calves feel it at first but you'll adjust to it soon enough and I can attest that you'll be able to run longer and faster and more comfortably. I may not be the best authority on running, however, since I hate it. Only time I like to run is when playing sports-- soccer, basketball, football, rugby.

5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I find it a necessary evil because I play soccer and other sports--they are my first love. I don't mind running too much, I just wish I was faster.

I have always admired barefoot runners, and it made sense to me that it would be the best way to run since we are born barefooted. Now the scientific evidence is in and it shows that running barefoot changes your running style so you land on the balls of your feet, flex your feet to absorb impact first, then transfer remaining forces up to your calf and quads, articulating your knee. Your heel barely touches the ground, and impact measurements show that it reduces the jarring forces on your knees by a factor of 3 IIRC.

If you look at animals, they pretty much walk on their toes--it's the same principle. And they can spring and jump far more in proportion to their body weight than humans...clearly they are doing something right.

Link to a bunch of press articles and a Harvard study.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/barefoot-running-harvard-study/

Plenty more on the web.

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I agree with Zack. We are born without shoes but due to necessity or fashion they have become a part of our daily attire.

The problem with footwear is that it allows the intrinsic muscles of the feet to become weak leading to plantar fasciiitis, shin splints, etc.

While I would not promote going barefoot all the time as your body is not used to it and you may develop problems I think there is some good in walking over uneven surfaces to strengthen intrinsic foot musculature.

One way of doing this is to curl your toes halfway while standing barefoot. Now lean forward almost to the point of falling over on your face and hold that position. This will help strengthen the intrinsic foot muscle and decrease the likelihood of plantar fasciitis.

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #7 Zack, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Dan, where were you last year? :) I suffered with plantar fascitis for about seven months, and nothing worked--hot soaks, cold soaks, rubs, massage, stretching, rest, elevation, etc., etc. Of course it didn't help that I continued with my fairly intense physical activities, but even when I tried to rest it, there was no discernible progress. Now, with barefoot running, it took a couple of weeks to get 85% better, to the point where I can feel the body healing on its own.

As for the barefoot running, it's been progressing steadily. I can now run three miles on a treadmill, 2 on asphalt. I had the blisters get infected once, but popping them and flooding the area with alcohol fixed that right away. Now the areas that blister up have gone from 6 per foot to just two, between the big toe and the next one, and on the outside, by the ball of the small toe. I guess these areas take the brunt of the impact when you land, and need the thickest callus, and the most muscle buildup.

And yes, the calves got pretty tight. It took about a week for them to feel normal again, but they are much stronger again...I am actually a little worried about muscle imbalance now, so I am going to build up my anterior muscles a bit--Dan, any advice on how to do this?

I am loving the progress, but the stares and double-takes are getting a bit old. Seriously considering cutting out the soles on a pair of shoes so it doesn't look like I am barefoot to anyone else.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    The easiest way to build up the anterior tibialis muscle is to get some rubber tubing/band and attach it to the bottom of a table leg and then to the top of the foot. Pull your toes/foot towards your knee. Keep in mind you want to increase the endurance not strength of this muscle as it is used hundreds of times while running so endurance is the key. Keep the resistance low and the repetitions high and you should be good to go.

Also keep stretching pre and post running to prevent injuries.

9. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Although it is "barefoot simulation", a love running a few times a week with Vibram Five Fingers slippers. It isn't as balls-to-the-wall as the tire tread sandals, but you get a lot of the benefit of barefoot running without destroying the soles of your feet. I have no desire to actually trail run totally barefoot, but I have gotten a lot faster since running in the Vibrams.

10. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Yeah, went to try them on today. To be honest, my feet felt too cushioned in them, now that I am used to running barefoot. I can see the benefits, so I might buy them. I didn't today, though. I think they are great. I might go for the sandals pictured above as well. Asphalt does tear up your soles, and I am dreading to think of stepping on hazardous materials such as glass, hypodermic needles, rusty metal nails or tacks, other "sharps" or just plain dog poo. Yuck.

11. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I had a pair of asics that I never felt right running in, so I switched to some saucony's that have much less padding and cushion and they're much more comfortable. I don't think I'd ever go the full barefoot running method, but lately I have been trying to focus on my running technique and land more on the front of my foot rather than heel striking.

I saw an interesting article accompanied with videos that shows people running on a tread mill with a force meter underneath. There is a huge impulse force when you strike with your heel which is what can cause a lot of people's knee problems. I was amazed at how, even in running shoes, the impulse impact is almost non existant when you switch to a forefoot strike. I definitely feel it more in the calf muscles but it's much gentler on the knees.

12. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I run on dry sand. Its a better workout and much easier on your feet in the long run. Either way you will build up the muscles in your calfs and ankles especially.

The problem with running on hard surfaces, like cement is that it takes its toll your knees etc after a while.

13. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #13 bounty, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    I ran barefoot for over 2 years including a half marathon. It all started with a conversation on an airplane. I was flying from Chicago to Kansas City and the guy next to me had just run the Chicago marathon barefoot. They call him Barefoot Rick, and I had no idea at the time, but I had met somewhat of a celebrity in the running community. He even gave me his business card and he was the ultimate salesman because his argument was so strong that I started barefoot running the next day.

Here is the guy's webpage:

http://barefootrunner.org/

He's actually fairly well known in the running community, I later found out - and as you can imagine - stands out in a crowd of 200 dollar running shoes.

After 2 years, here is my opinion -

I ran on roads, paths, dirt, snow...and the most difficult thing with barefoot running is keeping your feet CLEAN. You will be in a constant battle trying to keep them any color except black.

The first few weeks are extremely difficult because and surpisingly the most affected area for me was my knees. They just simply weren't used to the increased impact.

Your running form will improve significantly. Shoes allow mistakes and forgive bad form...barefoot running will punish your body if you have bad form and you either adapt or live with pain.

Your soles quickly build up a hard, solid padding and I got to the point where I could run over glass and not feel a thing.

Watch out for dirty syringes!

Have fun...I definitely felt more "free" and "natural" when running barefoot. I think if anything, it should be at least incorporated into a training regime to help develop better form for runners that lack it. It has a self correcting method that I think is invaluable.

Try to stay on the softest surfaces possible. Concrete is hell on knees. Dirt, grass, sand, asphalt are all great...concrete - not so much.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    We run a mile before BJJ class - barefoot. So I do that 2x per week, plus run 1-3 miles with shoes on when I can.

While my quads aren't really huge, I do have Popeye calves... :)

15. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    bounty,
    thanks for your post. I run on concrete and asphalt, but it doesn't bother me and my knees have actually felt much better since I started running barefoot. Within a couple of minutes I could feel the huge difference in impact forces to my knees if I landed incorrectly on my heels as opposed to the balls of my feet. The first week, my calf muscles were very tight, and of course there were the blisters. 3 weeks in, the calluses are coming in thick and fast, and I can run a couple of miles on asphalt (much more on smooth concrete). I hope to build up to 6 or so within the month.

Will check out the link to barefootrunner, thanks.

16. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Ok, just checked out that website. The guy's a jesus freak. Sorry, I don't do religion. I got the hell out of his website before I read any of his crap. I don't preach to him and I don't need him to preach to me.

17. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #17 bounty, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
    I'm not a Jesus freak either and hate those that preach, and I didn't even notice the religious stuff on his site. No big deal, I just read about the running stuff because he has a lot of experience and some good barefoot running information on his site. I'm not offended if he wants to put the religious stuff on there too - it's his site...I just kind of mentally overlook it. Its okay to share common ground or interests with people with differing views, ya know :) - really...it is. I talked to the guy for 3 hours on the airplane and not once did religion come up...strictly talking about running.

He may be a religious nut for all I know, but he's also a nice guy and a person who raises money to help provide wheelchairs for the impoverished and disabled in developing nations - so I could tolerate a little religious garble on his website when I was doing research on barefoot running - especially when there are few resources available to the sport.

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    There's a lot more stuff out there about it now, from Harvard studies to youtube videos with force analyses to newspaper articles to blogs. It's easy to get the knowledge without having to swallow the religious preaching now.

The guy could be super nice, but plenty of other people manage to be super nice without dragging religion into the picture. I am very sensitive to people preaching to me. I just don't like it...probably the result of a childhood where I was force-fed religion, and having seen what it does to society and how the most evil hypocrites seem to cloak themselves up in religion or use it to justify their misdeeds. It just seems like a way of controlling you, and I ain't going anywhere near that, ever.

Anyways, back to barefoot running--I am going for a run on concrete today. I will be carrying some watersocks with me, in case it gets too uncomfortable.

19. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Bounty,
    how long did it take you to build up the calluses on your feet where you didn't feel anything?

20. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's probably the part that took the longest, but it's also the most amazing. I think it's one of those things that gets better the longer you're at it. I had good padding on my feet after a couple of months...but I remember one time I was running down an alley in Chicago after about a year and I didn't even notice that I had run across a broken bottle until I heard the noise. After, I stopped to examine my feet and there was no trace that I had just stepped on glass.

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #21 Zack, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Awesome. I am coming up on a month...it's getting better but it's not entirely comfortable on asphalt yet. I am not at the point where I can forget about where I am stepping and concentrate on speed. I can go for a minute or so on the treadmill at 12mph, then it starts burning up.

What did you do to build up? Did you have a routine or special place/surface to practice on?

22. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It just naturally happened. I live in Chicago right on Lake Michigan and they have an excellent running trail that is a mixture of asphalt, gravel, sand, and concrete. I think for the first few months I concentrated on running with the best form possible to minimize impact and then once I was comfortable with that I started focusing on foremost distance, and then lastly speed. I don't exactly do anything special though.

People in Africa that don't wear shoes have unbelievably tough soles. Their feet can withstand all sorts of punishment without pain.

23. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #23 Zack, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks. I am working up to it. Btw. Your barefoot Ted guy is
    mentioned in a delightful book I amreading called BornToRun. Page 138 and especially from page 150 onwards. Small world. I may revisit his site. Heh.

Sorry about the typos I am doing this on my phone. Did your calluses stay hard after you stopped running barefoot?

24. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
  25. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I'd rather not. For centuries, man has been barefoot. Before glass, there were sharp rocks and thorns. I really don't think there is too much danger as long as I keep a sharp eye on where I place my feet. In another month or less, I hope to have a formidable callus.

Your warning, while well-intentioned, reads a bit like the state department travel advisories. Usually their only purpose is to cover the govt's butt and they do not accurately portray the situation on the ground. As with the state dept's suggested remedies, I appreciate the concern but I don't agree with the recommendation(s).

There is nothing wrong with going barefoot and it's not a given that something bad will happen if you do.

Thanks anyways.