"Report: Euro tuner king Uwe Gemballa missing in South Africa" | FerrariChat

"Report: Euro tuner king Uwe Gemballa missing in South Africa"

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 4re Nut, Feb 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    link: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/15/report-euro-tuner-king-uwe-gemballa-missing-in-south-africa/

snippet: "...reports indicate that Uwe Gemballa, founder and head of the namesake aftermarket tuner, has gone missing. According to the reports, the 51-year-old Gemballa was on a trip to South Africa when he went missing. The suspected site of his disappearance is Johannesburg, long known as one of the most dangerous cities in the world due to the rampant violent crime rate in its downtown core..."

2. xeneize

xeneize Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    That's horrible, hopefully he turns up ok.

3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    wow hope he comes back okay. I remember being a kid in the 80s and drooling over his cars.

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    It all sounds pretty bad right now, hopefully it turns out OK.

5. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    http://jalopnik.com/5472919/gemballa-owner-not-missing-just-hiding-from-government

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I was going to ask how his company was doing when I first heard of this but thought it'd be taken as disrespectful. Gemballa is running with the Impala's ;)

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    cool story brewing here!!!!

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Interesting..........

9. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #9 4re Nut, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Wasn't he backed by a bunch of Arab money like Ruf also is ?

11. wendys is good

wendys is good Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2005
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Any updates... will the the people who had their cars at his shop get them back or are the screwed?

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Update: Uwe Gemballa Kidnapped in Johannesburg

snippet: "...multiple sources have now confirmed to us that Uwe Gemballa has been kidnapped...he asked for help and his wife should wire 1 million euro ransom money to a certain bank account. No details on whether anybody has been in touch with Uwe, or the kidnappers, have been released. It’s also unclear if Uwe was lured to South Africa in an attempt to kidnap him or if he was at the wrong place at the wrong time..."

13. Forgedwheeler

Forgedwheeler Rookie

Apr 10, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Michael Burroughs
    The Gemballa facility is in full operation. Mrs. Gemballa is running the place in her husband's absence. The German police did show up to inventory things as is standard practice when the owner or CEO goes missing. NO CARS HAVE BEEN SEIZED OR IMPOUNDED.
    Our company is a vendor to Gemballa and things are normal from a business perspective.

I hereby condemn much of the muckraking internet press for "Olympic" conclusion jumping.
    Shame on all of them.

Sadly, Uwe Gemballa has been kidnapped in South Africa and is being held for 1 million Euro ransom.

We should all pray for his safe return.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 4re Nut, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for the update. Sad topic for your first post; hopefully your second post will be about his safe (and soon) return.

Best wishes to the Gemballa family.

15. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Wow! Crazy world we live in that these things happen!

I was never a huge Gemballa proponent (especially after the 'Vanilla Ice' connection, which I believe damaged the company's rep in the US) but this is sad news nonetheless.

Hope it all works out for Uwe, family and business, and will be watching this thread for updates.

Best,

-Tad

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 4re Nut, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    It gets "cooler": Big wheel missing in SA

snippet: "...Sources with knowledge of the incident say police are investigating the possibility that a fugitive businessman from the Czech Republic, who is believed to be in South Africa, might be linked to his disappearance. Radio Prague reported in 2005 that the High Court in Johannesburg had turned down an application for the man's extradition. The billionaire businessman has already been sentenced in absentia in the Czech Republic to six-and-a-half years' jail for tax fraud. He is facing charges for a variety of other crimes, including conspiracy to murder, counterfeiting, extortion and abduction."​

Quick Google search for "Czech Republic billionaire" found this from '07: Fugitive Czech billionaire arrested in South Africa

snippet: "...Radovan Krejcir, one of the country's most notorious fugitives, who was finally apprehended at the weekend after spending nearly two years in exile in the tropical Seychelles Islands..."​

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 msdesignltd, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where'd Uwe Go? New Gemballa company reportedly formed under mother's name, founder still missing

snippet: "...the latest reports suggest – verified by public records – that Uwe Gemballa opened a second company, with his 79-year-old mother as the sole stockholder, and had his wife (to whom he granted power of attorney) register the existing company for bankruptcy. And the kicker? The last time Uwe updated the company records was on February 5, only days before he vanished to Africa..."

20. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    any updates?

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    None that I can find via Google news.

22. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Despite ForgedWheels support, I think it's all a big hoax. He's hiding out somewhere in South Africa or one of the neighboring countries, enjoying cool drinks with other people's money. His company is bankrupt and he has done a runner.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but that's what I think right now. Sad, my cousin used to have a Gemballa Porsche and my brother was thinking of buying one from him.

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    You're right... that is sad. ;) :D :eek:

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Missing German may have staged own 'kidnapping'

25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It says: "The possibility that Gemballa may be lying low in Angola, where a successful franchise of his company operates, is also being investigated."

There's a Gemballa franchise in Angola?