Won Lamborghini on Ebay but owner won't sell... | FerrariChat

Won Lamborghini on Ebay but owner won't sell...

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Feb 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Gents,
    On February 10th I won a Lamborghini on ebay. So far so good!
    I paid the requested deposit within hours via Paypal. The ebay ad listed full payment via certified check. But I requested from seller if I could pay the remaining amount via bank wire transfer for a much quicker, safer and easier payment.
    Was then told by seller in writing that he should try to get his banking details for me.
    I repeated my request for his banking details several times via personal ebay messages and then after 4 days I received a different return message: That I should just send a check as per the ebay ad.
    So I then took time off work the day after, went to my bank, and sent the check. That was on Feb 15th.
    Now he says the auction is void due to not having received my full payment! He said he also has other interested buyers, probably willing to pay more! He said he would put it back on ebay tomorrow!

My ebay feedback is 100% and I really try doing all my business and ebay transaction as smooth and easy for both parties. I have bought other cars on ebay and have had no problems with the sellers at all.

What are my options here?
    Can he void or cancel the deal?
    I have notified Ebay, so they are looking at it.

Would appreciate any info from other ebayers, maybe with similar experiences! Thanks!

Cheers,
    Bjoern

2. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Might help if you posted the auction # link.

-mick

3. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a REAL problem buying expensive stuff on ebay unless I am willing to travel with cash in hand to the location of the item and play live and in person... That way you get the item (or title in the case of a car) in hand and you get to see the item and drive it to a safe location for shipping... I just don't trust all the scams on ebay these days! That goes for buyers and sellers btw!

Good luck, but if you are not willing to show up at the location of a car you have won with cash in hand (or send a friend who lives close buy to pick it up for you) this is the kind of thing you are going to run in to...

4. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Keep copy of all message, sue him for the entire amount the car cost...

5. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Get your deposit back and count your blessings!

Plenty of cars out there.

6. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    if you want the car call ebay i think your protected?

7. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    lol

8. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The sad truth is if the seller decides to run away with your money, not much you can do, you need to involve e-bay on this, don't know exactly how much but you might have some recourse through e-bay.
    who is the seller, dealer of private party?
    Anytime there is a large transaction on ebay, or for that fact long distance, it's a good idea to clarify with the seller, if they are willing work with a escrow company. My personal policy is if they aren't then walk away from the deal.
    S

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Which car?

10. gamby

gamby Karting

Aug 17, 2006
    this

...and be sure to leave him massively negative feedback

11. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    where is the seller located?

12. ratedx

ratedx Karting
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2005
    Let's have clarity! Yes my car was on E-Bay, started on 2/10, ended 2/17. Listing specified payment within 7 days of auction end by US Certified Check only! Buyer requested wiring instructions. I directed him to follow the listing's instructions. It has been more than 10 days since auctions end and I have still not received final payment. I have 100% perfect feedback and I take E-Bay auctions very serious. 7 days is 7 days! If I ever get the check it will be sent back unopened immediately and buyers deposit will be returned. I advised that the car will be relisted and he will have the same opportunity as other bidders.

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 I may be in the minority here, but terms is terms. You sound like an upright chap - if
    the deposit was stated as non-refundable if the final payment is not received per the
    terms, then the buyer is out that money if the payment wasn't sent in a timely manner
    in the way the seller dictates it must be.

Sellers dictate terms - not buyers. And if they are binding, they are binding. As a buyer, if you
    don't like those terms, DON'T BID. It's not your choice to make how the seller should change just
    to suit you.

Jedi

14. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    As inflexible as it sounds, 7 days is not an unreasonable time to request payment.

Just based on my own experience, I'd cash the check if it comes, and make friends with the buyer. I've always found it best to take the money on the table when it comes to old cars. You could blow a head gasket tomorrow, and then you'd wish you had.

15. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Not only that but the first offer is the best offer, don't ask me why, just turns out that way most of the time.

16. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    ..................................You got that right,I have bought and sold on Ebay more than a few times, the first time the auction runs is when you get the most bids and the Higher bids, but RatedX is completely Right when it comes to the terms of his Auction, unless he was contacted before the auction ended to discuss a different type payment, the listing specified a certain type of payment with a time limit., Although personally if someone who won a auction of mine and called me wanting to wire transfer the money I would go along with it ,allways take the wire transfer , its better than a check and you can allways open a checking account with a hundred bucks + use that account if you want to keep it separate from your usual accounts.But back to basics, the Auction states clearly type of payment , Good Luck to all involved .

17. Terms are terms, unless someone is stalling & not acting in good faith. My gut feeling is a higher offer came along after the auction & seller looks for a out. If the buyer was paying a over the top price, you would see a different song sang that has the words a "deal is a deal".

18. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #18 Peter K., Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    COME ON GUYS. I think you can work this out. Be a little flexible and get the deal done. Sound like the buyer wants it.....because he started the thread and RatedX has been trying to sell for a while.
    Guys, please.
    I'm in Connecticut and the car is in New Jersey, if I can help in any way, please let me know.

FWIW, When I bought my ebay Countach, I wanted to overnight a check, he wanted wire transfer. We worked it out and I wired the money.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Seller, why are you so inflexible with that timeframe? You do realize that once that post-auction 7 days expires, you relist an auction for another 7 days (previous one was 7 days). So now you're out of a sale AND you have to wait at least another 7 days to hope you find a new seller + giving that new high bidder 7 days to pay (14 days delay total). Doesn't sound like you want to sell it for the price the first auction ended with. I would work with the buyer a little more (maybe over phone rather than emails) to get the transaction done if you're actually interested in selling the car...who knows why you listed it.

20. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    this all smells as usual.

21. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    seller, youre exactly right. terms are terms and the buyer did not adhere to them. So lemme ask, if you didnt have anyone else interested would you still be acting this way???

buyer, you should have asked the seller if a wire was ok BEFORE your bid. Also since you paid via paypal, go thru them and walk from the seller.

22. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    buyer said he sent the check on 15th, what happen to it?

Buyer- since the seller has expressed zero appreciation for your interest and effort to buy his car I WOULD definitely back out of this deal, as demanded by Seller, wait till he re-list and bid at lower price hoping to win it.

Wtf? if someone is putting significant money into my hands I will show some appreciation.

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Lamborghinisti,

Sorry ratedx....but you seem like a hard a$$.

How about some flexibility. So the guy was late.....big deal. He still wants the car, has money in hand.....

You're both on Lchat and can't work this out? Given the last thread, you should be happy to have your car sold ( nothing wrong with it....you just wanted to sell )

Oh....a better offer is firmly in hand...right?

Sure.....terms, contracts bla bla bla. We're all people behind all the fancy words...cut some slack and just do the deal.

Roy has been known to facilitate these type of transactions...why not ask? He might even do a "special" given that both parties are on this forum.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

24. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    Agree 100% with this...in my experiance over the years..more times than not...the first offer is always the best and strongets offer..dont know why, just seems to come up that way..

25. roytoy2003

roytoy2003 F1 Veteran

Jul 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Roy L. Cats
    I have to agree with Seller on this one...yes terms are terms, seller has the right to describe what he wants. I can say from experiance, one thing we are missing here..

I have numerous time buyers hit the buy it now, takes the car off of E-bay, then they attemt to "Negotiate" a differnet deal, thinking it will work as the car is "locked" up with theri small deposit. Buyers forget a few things..

1) Now the car, if I have to re-list it cause for questions as to WHY..thought it was sold, what happened..?

2) It costs money to sit on the car, everyday money is not in the bank it looses intrest money

3) It costs money to re-list the car again as well