How to remove door trim panel on a 308 (with pics) | FerrariChat

How to remove door trim panel on a 308 (with pics)

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigodino, Apr 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1 bigodino, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I needed to replace the window runner chanel on my passenger side. Because I've learnt so much from this great forum I decided to take some pictures while I was working on the door trim panel. I noticed that there weren't any on the 308 (I have a 1978 GTB but it also works for a QV).

Thanks to Alun Wilsher of Alsa Automotive I was able to do the work. He sent me pictures beforehand (I will post them too for reference) and also the needed runner chanel (at no charge!) Thanks Al! :)

First you unscrew the door lock knob. This can be done with a screw driver but also by hand. It's screwed onto a long threaded 'wire' (well, it's actually thicker than a wire but I can't find the proper English word right now).

Then there are four Phillips screws located around the outside edge of the door panel. Two at the back (see picture), one at the bottom and one at the front.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #2 bigodino, Apr 10, 2010
    Next you'll have to remove the arm rest. On a 1978 GTB it's secured by two screws (S) and two nuts (N), on the QV there's only one screw and two bolts.

When you look from below up to the door panel you can easily see both screws and nuts. The nuts can be unscrewed with a 10mm wrench.

In the picture I've also marked the door lock pin with '1'.

Once you've removed the arm rest you need to pull the trim panel upwards. Beware that you need to move the door release pull (H) in it's most rearward position to make it easier to move the trim panel away from the door.

It's not necessary to disconnect the electric wires for the window switch. There's enough wire length to have the arm rest and door panel out of the way from the door itself.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #3 bigodino, Apr 10, 2010
    On the 1978 308 GTB there's one more screw hidden behind the speaker. Remove the speaker by unscrewin its three Phillips screws and you'll see the hidden screw (see pic).

4. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  5. stev4266

stev4266 Karting

Mar 24, 2010
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    steven gregson
    What was the problem with the window? My window is loose, would what your doing fix that problem? Thanks for the pics and keep them coming.

Thanks,
    Steve

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    A note on reinstalling the door lock pull knobs: If you screw them too far down, your door won't lock. Install knobs, push down to lock door, THEN screw knob down to desired height.

Doug

7. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for that. I noticed after reassembly that my lock is indeed harder to engage. I'll screw back the knob enough to have a smoother locking.

8. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The felted rubber strip that seals the window pane was worn. I had to replace it. Is your window loose when it's closed or open? It might be that your strip is also worn but I doubt it. Probably your problem is related to the pulley system (you can see the wires in several pictures). Maybe one of the nuts that connects the window pane to the wires is loose?

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #10 bigodino, Apr 10, 2010
    Here's a picture of how the window pane is fixed to the wire system that operates the window (see arrow). According to the parts catalogue there are only two fixations at the bottom of the window pane. The one pictured is easy to reach, the one at the front is not.

10. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Excellent Post..

11. shashi27

shashi27 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2006
    Long Valley, NJ
    Full Name:
    Shashi
    Thanks for the write up. It was very helpful when I upgraded my speakers today. Not sure why but door panels always give me problems no matter what car. Arrgh!

12. MyGTS89

MyGTS89 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    David P Finkel
    I need to remove the outer lower panel on a 308 to repair a rust bubble. Once the interior door panel, etc. are removed, how would I remove the outer lower panel?

13. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Need some help, trying to take the door card off. All screws and nuts removed. There's one item holding the card in which I can't identify. Please see attached pic and hopefully one of you out there has an idea.
    83 gtb drivers side, looking up the door.
    Problem is to the right of the bolt/nut. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-S918U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck