Assistance Needed: 2007 F430 F1 Transmission Problem | FerrariChat

Assistance Needed: 2007 F430 F1 Transmission Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek K., Apr 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    #1 Tarek K., Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
    Dear All,

Recently my 2007 F430 has been having an F1 transmission problem. When slowing down and still in 2nd gear it would automatically shift to neutral and stay in neutral. It won't accept any other gear, not even reverse for a few minutes. During normal driving speeds and accelerating the F1 transmission works normal, shifting up and down as usual. But once I start slowing down again the same reoccurs, namely it would go in neutral. This happens when the car has been running for approx. 30 minutes and does not happen when the car/engine is still cold.

The car has only done 2600 miles.

Any ideas what the problem might me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Tarek

2. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    Well, I have an 07 as well... I emailed and visited with my service advisor just this past Thursday. We got into a clutch wear discussion, and he told me that when you near the end of your clutch life, that the car will just fall out of gear.

He said that it will allow you to drive and shift through the gears, but that it will just drop out of gear at slow speeds...

He said to watch for this, because you can warp and damage the fly wheel and then not only have to replace the clutch, but the fly wheel as well.

I would take it in and have them take a look.

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Matt, I took it to the local Ferrari dealer today and it's there now.

I doubt it's a matter of clutch wear because the car has only done 2600 miles.

4. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    You would hope but the F1 clutch adjustment can be a tricky thing. If not properly adjusted, you can get end of life this quickly.

Keep that in mind when the Dealer calls back...if it is a clutch.

5. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Don't know the answer to your question, but sure would like a hi-res pic of your avatar!

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    The car is still at the dealer. Naturally they weren't able to reproduce the fault. They have sent the matter to Italy and are waiting their reply.

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Hey Tarek... sorry to hear of the problems you're having and of course the car wouldn't mis-behave while the techs had it... why would it be easy?

Please let us know what you find out. I have an '07 F430 as well with around 4K miles and, thus far, no F1 issues.

Thanks,
    Frank

8. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    sigh, I feel your pain... I hate when that happens, hopefully something is stored somewhere reflecting a fault..Least now its documented so if outside warranty window this should still be a covered issue... ?

9. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks gentlemen............they did read a shifting fault on the SD3.

I will definitely post the results.

10. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Hi, I had a similar problem, which is described in these threads:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268458&highlight=F1+pump+relay

Generally speaking, there may be several problems, but the most typical are: 1) worn clutch; 2) failing electrical motor of the F1 hydraulic pump; 3) air in the hydraulic lines, which needs to be bled out. Start checking in this order.
    Cheers,
    Juri

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Juri..............the car is still at the dealer. They are waiting for some answers from Italy.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I had something like that happen a couple of times with different F1 cars, here is what I found out. First the clutch tends to heat up, if you sit it traffic, on a hill in gear, or just drive when it is really hot, the clutch goes into neutal as a saftey measure. In one car the PIS was off in the other it was just me driving like a mad man when it was over 90 out. Not sure this will help.

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Yeah, you dont drive it often enough! :eek::eek:

14. Spar7

Spar7 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2008
    SGP
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Tarek,

it should be your f1 actuator, cant be your clutch unless you use the LC button everytime you're at the lights haha

i had the same problem recently...when coming to a stop at the lights or just slowing down for a speed bump it jumps into N from 2nd 3rd or sometimes 4th gear..

took the dealership and italy about 2months in total to solve the problem..they started replacing part by part at first...sensors pump everything, it got better didnt happen as often as it previously did but still it didnt solve anything..

finally after weeks of waiting for parts and communication between the dealership and italy they finally replaced the entire f1 kit which had been pre assembled in italy... including the pump sensors etc as the actuators have to be adjusted. all the individual parts previously were then sent back to italy

Car has been behaving fine ever since.

15. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    What MY is your F430? It is disconcerting to be hearing this repeatedly from owners of 07's. When I can jump in the market, that's the car I want.

16. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Thanks Justin........they haven't replaced any parts on my F430 yet. Hope they decide to replace the complete F1 kit instead of having to try each new part.

17. Spar7

Spar7 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2008
    SGP
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hey Tarek,

did they manage to rectify the problem? or are you still waiting for parts

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    The results..........

Apparently I had two different problems in my F1. The first problem was the car going immediately into neutral from 2nd or third gear when slowing down and it would stay stuck in neutral. The second problem was that the car won't accept reverse after driving hard for about 30 minutes.
    The first problem was corrected by the adjustment of the actuator tolerance. It was out of tolerance by 1mm and therefore the correct gear was not selected and the F1 gearbox would not select the correct gear when slowing down. The gear selection is governed by a very specific movement of the F1 actuator. The dealer here had to order a special tool from Italy to be able to adjust the actuator tolerance. Once that was adjusted the car now automatically goes smoothly through the gears when slowing down. I tested the car with the service engineer on the highway while at the dealer for about 30 minutes and it was perfect until I drove into the workshop and the car would not accept reverse. They sent the matter again back to Italy, did a few more tests and measurments and Italy decided to change the complete clutch. They noticed from their readings on the SD3 that after approx. 30 minutes of hard driving the clutch overheats and once that temperature is reached it won't shift into reverse. They ordered a complete new clutch (warranty ofcourse) which arrived yesterday and I will be taking the car back for the installtion. Hopefully now the new clutch will solve the matter. Once it is installed I will post the results and confirm if the "reverse gear" matter has been resolved.

19. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Almost 2 months to fix this? I hope the dealer treated you well.

20. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    They were polite..................

21. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    Tarek,

I'm watching this one with great interest.

Any further update on the new clutch?

22. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Hi Donie, I will be taking the car back to the dealer this week to install the new clutch. I'll definitely keep you posted.

23. Judge

Judge Karting

Aug 14, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Tarek

The dealer still has not resolved my '07 430 reverse problem. Same as yours, however I have had it since almost purchasing the car new. After about 30 mins of driving, things warm up and it will no longer shift in to reverse. At first the dealers said it was an adjustment to the actuator tolerance that was needed. I was told, Italy told them to do this. They did said it was fixed and returned the car to me. Still not fixed though. I am taking it back again.

Did the dealer tell you what the reverse problem was?

Thanks

24. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Yes, we went through the exact same process and I have the exact symptoms. The actuator tolerance was adjusted which only solved the "neutral" problem, but did not solve the "reverse" problem. When they investigated further and sent Italy more data, they found that the clutch was overheating beyond accepted limits after about 30 minutes of driving. It was sticking and not allowing for the reverse gear to engage. They decided to fit a new clutch.

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Tarek Good Luck with your latest F1 'adventure' at the dealer. Hope the new clutch is a true fix for the 'reverse' issue with your car! No doubt lots of people are reading of your experience with great interest.
    CH