Removing Old Coolant 360 | FerrariChat

Removing Old Coolant 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, May 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I proceeded with a coolant change yesterday in my 360 and was only able to remove 11 or so litres compared to the 18 specified as a total capacity in the car. Draining from the plugs on each rad. was not enough, I also unplugged both supply and return hoses on the front manifold to get more out. Am I missing a step in being able to remove enough to get close to the 18 litres? The WSM only states draining from the two rads.

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Remove the plugs located on the both sides of the block. On the Ricambi site Table 1 parts 10 and 11. You will need to buy new copper gaskets.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I didn't get it all out but it probably doesn't matter. Particularly if you change coolant with any regularity. It didn't just go bad; by changing most of the fluid you will be achieving the same thing that adding AF does in the first place.

As for the missing fluid: I think part is in the block, part is in the radiators (despite the drain plugs), part is in the lines. I guess you could use compressed air to clear everything but to what end?

4. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    John,

did you ever measure how much coolant you were able to retrieve on a change?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes and I made notes but they are at home. I will post tonight.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is true in any car but 360 is one of the worst, you just cannot remove all the fluids. As stated though it does not matter, you are changing the majority and mixing in new. If done on schedule it will be OK. One area I do disagree with the schedule though because of many bad outcomes on cars that went with Ferrari schedule, the trans needs a change every year. More often if it gets more than 5000 miles a year. The drain plug is no where near the bottom of the trans and the gearbox in those cars cook the oil.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I always have my Ferrari cooling system "power flushed" which removes all coolant and crude and replaces the coolant in one step. Most radiator shops have power flushing machines and will do it while you watch and wait.

8. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I agree totally about the trans fluid. I changed mine this year after 18 months and 3000 miles, and whatever the dealer put in there turned dark and smelled horrible. I've gone with the Redline 75w90NS and will be changing it every year. My other question is, seeing that I live in the great white north, should I be doing the fluid changes in the fall before storage or in the spring? BTW I think I'll be doing yearly coolant changes also.

9. BAD360

BAD360 Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2004
    Albany/Colonie NY
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I would follow the motor oil guideline and would suggest in the fall so that clean fluid is sitting in it during the winter storage.

10. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  12. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    hate to be devils advocate .. but are you sure they even changed it that last time ?

i know you paid for it, but did it actually get done ?

cough cough ... btw, i'm not insinuating anything here .... :(

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    His experience is not uncommon. We see it all the time.

14. CarloZ

CarloZ Rookie

Nov 11, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    You will only be able to extract a little over 1 gallon from both left and right radiators. You won't get much more out of it.

if your trying to empty it out and put in fresh coolant your probably better off flushing it 3-4 times with fresh coolant. The best way to do that is to get 4 gallons of coolant mixed, flush the first batch out, pour in new, run the car for 20 minutes with high heat and then drain the coolant out again. doing this 3-4 times should get you close to 100% of fresh coolant.

15. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's why I'm doing it myself. Not for the money, I just don't trust anyone with my car. I cannot believe that this is a reality with these cars!

obertRo likes this.
  16. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sounds like a royal PIA. Doesn't seem logical. Will change coolant yearly and I'm sure it will be OK.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My point was not that it went unchanged. It was that his oil turning to garbage in one year is common.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    Whats a royal PIA?

Every car built since Gottlieb Daimler invented the stupid things is the same.

Where is the illogic?

You don't think just because you pull the plug everything comes out, do you?

As far as trust goes, maybe you should trust someone because there is a good chance they will actually know these things and be qualified to work on the car.

We do it every 2 years.

19. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sorry, misunderstood.

20. CarloZ

CarloZ Rookie

Nov 11, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    you can also use a coolant tool if you have a compressor handy. Uview Airlift 550000 makes a decent one for coolant flushing. also I always add one bottle of Redline water wetter.

21. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks for the input Carlo. I guess I'll be trying your flushing procedure next time.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That is a great piece of equipment but it does not flush anything. All it does is refill an empty system.

23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I tried that, and I found it made zero difference.

24. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    IT JUST REFILL AND PURGE THE SYSTEM. WHAT ELSE YOU WHERE EXPECTING

25. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #25 AceMaster, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    I don't understand what you are trying to say here :confused:

What I meant was, I put in a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, yet the temperature remained the same as it did prior to putting in the Redline Water Wetter (according to the instructions it should run a little cooler, which I found that it did not)