Goth Exhaust installed | FerrariChat

Goth Exhaust installed

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Jul 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#1 F355Bob, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We installed the Goth dual valve exhaust yesterday. Took about 8 hours to complete and went very well with no real problems. The detail of Goth's instructions, tools that are included with the kit, are first rate. Definate power increase is felt in all gears at all rpms and we will do a dyno in the next month to verify. The car revs faster and pulls harder. Sound- no resonance at all, deeper idle sound and high pitched when the valve opens but still not overbearing. I hate loud exhausts and this one is just perfect. I will get video and sound clips soon. I've included some pictures of the install and final result. I plan on filling in the bumper original exhaust holes this winter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks great. What are you going to do about the original exhaust outlets on the bumper cover?

3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

They are going to be glassed in and maybe the diffusers extended to the bumper lower edge.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Goth makes VERY high quality stuff!! I can only imagine how nice that exhaust looks in person...

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

The quality is fantastic. I've never had an aftermarket modification that was as complete or fit as well as this exhaust. Most things need all kinds of modification to get to fit or don't live up to their hype. If someone can photoshop the stock holes in the bumper filled in, I would like to see how that looks.

6. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Another fine example of the artwork performed deep in the bowels of Gothdom!

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow! That is AWESOME! :D:D

Thanks for sharing pics Bob! :):)

Way to go Oz!! You're a legend mate!! ;);)

8. FBI

FBI Formula Junior

May 27, 2008
    Calgary,Ab
    Awesome! Gotta get a sound clip for us when you can.

Cheer's

9. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Oz, any feel to how the bumper will hold up to the hear from the exhaust?

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#10 F355Bob, Jul 4, 2010
    I don't think it is a problem. The real exhaust pipe is not what you see on the outside. The external pipe that exits the bumper is not the pipe exiting from the muffler. It is similar to the Stradale exhaust. That external pipe does not get that hot. I'm sure Goth will explain it better when he posts

11. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    #11 S-T48, Jul 4, 2010
    Not too good, but here it is!!

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Great job Goth! It looks fantastic!

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Did Oz do that exhaust exit custom for you? That is the way I like the exhausts. Qz strikes me as a stock appearance kind of guy. How many other 355's are running this through the bumper mod? I think you are on target for an improved rear diffuser this way.

14. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    that's the ticket! Pull the diffuser outlets up into the rear bumper a bit. Will it add downforce? Who knows. Will it look "complete" and purposeful? Oh yes. I think you need something to interrupt the lines of the lower bumper, and this is the perfect way.

BTW, this thread is MEANINGLESS without good video :)

15. ScoobyDoo555

ScoobyDoo555 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Dan Armstrong
    Fascinating ! :)

Not entirely sure about it in terms of positioning though - just because I'm used to seeing the pipes at the bottom of the bumper/fender.

1 question though - as with most exhausts, they get hot. Is this going to be an issue with scorching the rear?

Dan :)

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #16 vvassallo, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    About the unique goth exhaust note... That's what we have been telling you for over a year!!! You described it exactly. Since mine sounds the same way (as did goth's own system), I can picture the way yours sounds too. BTW, goth's exhaust runs cooler than stock, so you will notice less heat. Hopefully at idle you won't fry the bumper especially after a few hot laps on the track.

How would you 348 owners like this bypass for your exhaust, hmm? Believe me I have been thinking about it since I saw this design. Put a splitter precat with the bypass to open at around 3500 rpm, route to inner tail pipes since the outer ones do most of the work - yeow! Not sure if I want the extra weight tho. ;) Yeah, right. :p

FBB, the bumper outlets were customized for the owner who wanted something different. Goth was thinking of using the stock cutouts to extend the undertray diffuser. Have to wait on his design to see how that will come off.

The gothspeed lab never ceases to amaze me.

17. ScoobyDoo555

ScoobyDoo555 Rookie

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Dan Armstrong
    Wow :) Kudos to the OP for going "different" then :)

No pun intended, but it sounds like an interesting alternative to the other exhausts.

As can be seen by my profile, I know FOOK all about Ferraris, but I'm here to try and learn :)

Then the car will follow :)

Cheers :)

Dan

18. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Looks very neat and tidy and the ease of fitment means the workmanship must be very good.

I am not a fan of the exit position though, I am curious if it is in this position due to performance gains or as simply a style?

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Diffusers look very cool in general and work when designed properly. In my own case of a home made diffuser I can't say for sure if it worked or not. When my 348 was a racecar the giant rear wing in clean air could be felt instantly as could the large 4" splitter put on the car a year later. The addition of the rear diffuser I could not feel at all. But with a 355 having the aero undertray ferrari claim 150lbs of downforce the first production car to have real performance oriented aero undertray. There are significant improvements in the rear of the 360 design that was noticed instantly when the 360C started racing. One would think a ripoff of the 360 design could be a good place to start. I also think something should be done to reengineer the challenge grill concept. I think it adds aero drag. Years ago in the 70's p-bug racers used to put holes in the lexan rear windows to vent the cabin while racing. What was discovered later was those holes encouraged flow in the sidewindows and out those holes = aero drag. I think the challenge grill is doing the same thing. Since the gothmuff is running cooler less heat needs to be extracted from the back. Someone needs to work on getting the heat out without piping air into the engine bay and trying to extract it out the challenge grill.

20. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Goth made this exhaust for me. I wanted a Scuderia look and something different. The way the exhaust tips works, it scavenges hot air out of engine compartment.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

How so? How did you determine the flow of hot air in the compartment?

22. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    LOOKS SWEET!!! Waiting for the sound clips.

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #23 gothspeed, Jul 5, 2010
    Great to see :D!! You did a great job installing the tips into the bumpers :)!!!

We bounced ideas as to what exactly Bob wanted. He absolutely wanted it on the quieter side, maximum flow, full F1 sound and a unique exhaust exit location. After bouncing ideas for a while this is the configuration that was settled on ..... :D

The tips in the bumper are indeed separate from the muffler .......... just like the Scuderia :)!!!

That exit tip configuration has an added benefit that has been used on aircraft for a long time. I have attached a simple pic of the bernoulli effect at play with this design :). Also a pic of an actual scuderia tip.

........ and our final photoshop pic which shows the extended diffusser provision in the lower bumper .......... :cool:

24. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Sweeet! How about the GothGrill?

25. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I wondered the same thing.

Goths grille imo is more functional and looks really good at the same time...more so than the OE CH one.