XC Air Racing Video | FerrariChat

XC Air Racing Video

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Jul 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So what does everyone do when they first buy a plane? Go race it of course! ;)

I heard about these little short XC races a couple years ago, but this is first time I've done it. This one was a 146 nm course with 9 turns in rural area. All FAR's have to be followed and they release planes estimated fastest to slowest. There is some passing, I had a RV-8 tail me and pass at the end. A bunch of fun and everyone very nice.

The 400 held its own, no other 285+ HP fixed gear turbos, but it beat all the 285+ HP RG Bonanzas and a Cirrus SR22 GTS by 9 MPH. I also got award for 3rd fastest factory plane only behind the turbine TBM and Cheyenne.

I kept the engine pretty conservative, didn't let CHT's get above 385. Not sure how much more it can do, but not worth it to find out. It can run at 80-85% power all day long with no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYlVTldSTg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Very cool. I did not know that these types of races existed. You should try to get a speed record - it is pretty easy to do if you choose a course that no one has flown before or has been flown is an aircraft slower than the 400. I was on a couple of Citation flights many years ago where we went for speed records while on routine test flights.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I too, didn't know these existed. Is it similar to a time/distance/speed rally or is it just fastest time wins? are you penalized for deviations off course, etc?

cool video too, I love that song :)

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fastest wins, similar to solo with many cars on track at once and point bys. there are a bunch of classes.

yes, 1 minute penalty for just missing a corner, DQ for more major misses. you are allowed to 360 making sure you hit the turn which is often better than penalty.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    gotcha. looks like a lot of fun....another reason for me to want a plane :)

6. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO