New USA Lotus Elise Arrived! | FerrariChat

New USA Lotus Elise Arrived!

Discussion in 'British' started by htran, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    #1 htran, Aug 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Wow, I didn't know if they were here yet or not!

What kind of reaction on the street does it get?

3. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To Jonh, I put deposit down 2 years ago. Bug the GM @ Lotus every month thereafter. Delivered from San Diego port a month ago, pick up 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everytime I gas up, people come by and ask ?. Someone ask -is it a new dunebuggy?? LOL, Henry

BTW-I might have the new Ford GT40 coming- w/o waiting list. Post pics when it arrive. I will be in the DOG house for sure (ran out of excuses/stories from wife)/ by then I will have to ask someone closeby to stay over until she cool off.

4. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Great to see current pictures of it here, or some people would never believe (some people have to see all cars at a dealership before they believe). It is indeed a slick car. Being a Pantera owner, I think hybirds are the only way to break away from the "mainstream" exotics--it could be the start of a throwback to the 60s/70s!

5. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Excellent!! Your car looks great. NIghtfall blue color looks very nice. Im pretty sure thats your color. Im sure its a blast to drive. Many have been delivered but many more are still waiting at the port for transport and such. Have fun with the little beast.

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    just saw one on the highway today in yellow....very nice!!! looks better in person....

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Congrats!

The Elise has just about everything I want in a sports car -- it's small, light, is sufficiently powered, and has fantastic handling. Now if I could only get past the OTT design... :)

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just saw 2 Elsie & sat in 1 at the dealer yesterday, Beautiful car but tiny. Much tougher to enter/exit than a Countach or a 512TR

Iam sure they handle great.

That said I kicked the snot out of an Elise at Lime Rock, a tight twisty track, with my big fat 512TR road car :)

I was running very close to the times with the Exige race car

9. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    The Elise is one of the fastest point to point cars on the road, my wife Collette owned one for two years, it was one of the quickest cars i have ever driven on the twisty roads, have a look at this video where an Elise keeps up with a F40 on the track.

http://www.elise.ch/membres/olivier/video/elise-f40.mpg

10. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    henry,

wow...dude,

she looks hot.
    i love the color combo.
    congrats, man.

11. smiffy

smiffy Karting

Feb 7, 2004
    cardiff
    A proper handling sports car! Exactly what Colin Chapman would have made. Takes me back to when i used to sell Elises! If you think the Elise is good, you should try an Exige!!!

12. K27

K27 Karting

Jul 10, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Full Name:
    Lance
    Excellent video, nice bit of driving by the Elise.

13. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Beautiful car. Saw one yesterday. Now if Ford would just get there car out, all will be good!!

14. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Leno has his now, so at least "some" are built and delivered. Are you planning on picking one up? It should be easy to mod to the 700-800 range.

15. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Yeah, Leno has his, and some Microsoft guy, and I think 18 of the "50" have theirs. Received a call from a dealer a couple of days ago, will be in 9/17. Yes, if I can work the right deal. It was offered to me. Red/White. We will see.

16. McLaren_boy

McLaren_boy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    ATL but NOLA is home
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    One of the best decisions Lotus made IMO...it was about time they brought that brilliant car over to the states...I can't wait to see one in person.

htran, do you think you could give us a more in depth post about how the car drives, handles, sounds, & looks in person. I would really like to hear what a real owner has to say about the handling, and maybe an overall evaluation of the car…is it really as Spartan as it looks?

Thanks for the great pictures!

17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Henry,

Great looking car, I can't wait to see it.

Congratulations!

18. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    Are we talking about the GT40 from ford?

What do you think bringing the HP up on that would do to the gas mileage? Supposedly 4 mpg on the track, and 10-11 highway.....

I love the Lotus Elise. Excellent choice of color. The only other one I'd like to see the lotus in would be forest green.

19. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    The green looks great to!

20. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    Just got back for the week-end from SF (city by the bay) a few hours ago, wife and kids tucked into bed, now ready for some leisure. SF weather was perfect 70-75 F, blue sky... Only 1-1/2 hrs drive west from the Valley, the temp dropped from 103 F to 70 F (30-35 F difference!). Enough said. Now let's get to the real story- Lotus Elises. The color I picked, Magnetic Blue, If I have my choice again- I would pick Chrome Orange or Saffron Yellow. Somehow this car look great in Lambo-esque, Skittles, Jelly belly... color. The stats # numbers on this car is incredible!-especially braking distances (beat the Enzo) and slalom (beat the 996TT). I counldn't believed my eyes when checked the road test summary in R&T magazine. The disavantage about the Elises is ingress/ outgress- due to the large/high door sill, need for strengh and the low position small thin padded seat. My waist size is about a 34", and it fits snugly. If you have a 36" waist or higher, forgetaboutit. Outward vision is great, you can see the road 2 ft in front due to the low, short, sloping hood.
    About driving experiences, here are the 2 links you can read about it better than I could ever describe on paper (oops, keyboards). Henry

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=7371
    www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=8202
    For TomF1:
    The only options are: Touring pkg, sport pkg and matching hardtop
    PS. Saw one on cover of this month Dupont Registry, but none are for sale inside, E bay have 1 or 2 for sale. A few are for sale 10K over sticker-just for position only and god knows when it will be in. Some Lotus dealers said its a 1 1/2-2 yrs waiting list. Hmmm, thats make me think???

21. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    htran,

Isn't it an incredible car? I love it also. I use it as a daily driver when I'm in Europe.

I have a waist of 42" and am 6'2" tall. Once seated I have no problem. Getting in and out with the roof up is not a pretty sight, but I'm getting better at it.

22. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    What a video!! one of these day and I can dream drive like that person on the track. Thanks

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My friend who went to the dealership with me is thinking of buying 1, Sweet little car . I'll have to borrow it :)

24. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    Awesome car!

I saw an Elise on the 405, in what was probably Chrome Orange, a couple of months ago. It had Georgia plates on it if I recall correctly.

25. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    I think I saw this car @ Crystal Cove a few months back. As I recall, It have an out of state plate-probaply a Euro version. Henry