f430 Manual vs F1 | FerrariChat

f430 Manual vs F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by ANGELINO, Aug 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    #1 ANGELINO, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    I am contemplating on getting a 430. In your opinion, is manual going to be holding its value more than the F1's given everything else is identical. That's what the seller for the manual is telling me. Previously, I owned 360F1 and 430F1 and I probably would be fine with either manual or F1. So resale value could be the determining factor in my case. T/F

2. JoesFun

JoesFun Karting

Oct 2, 2006
    Lockport, IL
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Get what YOU want - don't worry about resale... Which one do you prefer?

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have a stick, but agree, get what you want. Future value is impossible to predict and not likely to make much difference either way.

Dave

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    With all due respect, you should not be worried about resale before you even buy your next ride.

Get what you want. Drive and enjoy. And BTW You WILL lose money either way.

One more thing. Happy hunting.

5. Rsal346

Rsal346 Rookie

Jun 14, 2010
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Richie S
    Wide world ferrari/masarati told me F1 cars bring in a extra 15/20k. I guess there is a reason the 6 speed is now obsolete. Still die hard 6 speeders out there willing to pay. Flip a coin.

6. Speedy2081

Speedy2081 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2009
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    Don't they also cost about that much more to purchase?

7. Robdownunder

Robdownunder Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Same here downunder...F1 sales miles ahead of the stick and therefore in greater demand and more expensive asking prices.

8. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    You're confusing cause and effect. Stick sales are limited by Ferrari. Sure, given free choice there wouldn't be too many more ordered, but the fact remains Ferrari decides how many they want to sell. Meaning you can't just walk into a Ferrari store and order a stick. You have to wait until one is allocated. Many of those buyers get the F1 rather than wait.

Ferrari wants the money from the F1 sales. Same reason carbon brakes became mandatory.

9. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I would think so, if only because the manuals are somewhat rare in comparison.

10. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    Stick gets you pleasure but F1 just a bit boring IMO

The f cars don't produce any more Stick, so u should be expected the price of F430 price will rise in the coming few years

11. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Tough to predict the future. There is a chance a Manual will hold a little more due to the fact that Ferrari doesn't want to produce any more. Like everyone says, buy the one that makes you the most happy.
    Good Luck.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Angelino- One more thing to consider. If you live in an area with easy service available from an independent or dealer with SD3 diagnostic tool available, manual or F1 shifter makes no difference. If you are in an area where service is scarce, any very competent mechanic with tech data can change the clutch for a manual shifter car. Not so for the F1 shifter clutch, which requires an SD3 to set point of initial slippage (PIS). Cannot be done correctly without one.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Simple supply & demand tells us this isn't really true. If it were, there would be a huge spike in 6-speed prices on the used market. We don't see that so there can't be a much large demand for 6-speed cars.

14. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    #14 ANGELINO, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    Thank you so much for your great thoughful responces. I guess maybe I should rephrase my question in my original thread, instead of trying to beat it around the bush. 05 430 Red/Tan coupe 1,500M Manual with pretty standard options(Daytona, Shields), asking 147,000.00. Reasonable or not reasonable? Thank you guys.

15. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

spider or coupe?

16. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually, I think you've confused cause and effect. Throughout production of all 575, 599, 360 and 430 models Ferrari produced exactly as many F1 and manual cars as were ordered by it's customers. Factory "allocations" cover only how many cars a particular dealer gets, not how any cars are configured. Anyone could definitely "just walk into a Ferrari store and order a stick" any time they wanted for all of those models. Ferrari customers voted overwhelmingly in favor of the F1 transmission (apparently approaching 90%) providing little incentive for Ferrari to continue offering a manual. That fact, together with their desire to remain on the cutting edge of automotive technology, were likely large factors in the decision to discontinue offering manual transmissions.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not true. Paddle and stick cars were considered separate models by Ferarri. Buyers did not "order" them like other options. I was the first one on the "list" for a manual 430 coupe and the dealer could not give me any clue as to when it might come in. It turned out to be about the 6th car they got. If I had wanted paddles, I would have had to wait much longer as the "list" was quite long. However, the 2nd guy who wanted a stick had to wait another year even though he had signed up only a month after me initially. I know another guy who waited and waited and finally the dealer said they could sell him a paddle car and could not guarantee another manual would ever come in so he took the paddle car. I'm sure Ferrari tried to meet the anticipated demand but anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere is that some manual buyers went without. They were not built to order.

Dave

18. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Angelino I have been following 430 6 speed for about year ...I can tell you one thing the cars have come up in price

Why I say this is I had cars that where newer then the one you looking at for around the price u are stating....so I can say the price curve is up.

Also I can tell u That I would wait ...I feel u will see prices come back down if the economy goes into a other dip...but that's just my opinion.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Angelino- That is like a new F430, not a bad deal. The price is a bit high, but you might bargain it down a bit. At $135-140K, a pretty good deal for one with mileage that low as long as it checks out. There are a lot of price threads here, and they provide a pretty good overall look at the market, but there are not many sub-2000 mile cars around.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you are looking at a low mileage '05, better check with a local Ferrari dealer and find out if the exhaust manifolds will be replaced under warranty or not. They will probably fail and there is considerable confusion about warranties on these that can vary state to state. The feds only require the cats, OBD, and ECUs be warrantied for 8 years, the rest are 2 years. State laws may vary.

Dave

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There has not been enough time yet.

Give this 5 years or so and the 6-speed will have a higher resale value as everybody else gets sick and tired of trying to fix the F1 system, now that cars are way out of waranty and no longer dealer serviced.

Once you can't get those fancy parts you will be able to buy old F1 cars for dirt cheap ... but the simple 6-speeds will still be good and useable cars that more shops will be able to service.
    Pete

22. ANGELINO

ANGELINO Karting

Feb 18, 2009
    PSK- You make a lot of sense. Most logical explanation. Now, Is 05 red/tan 430 coupe with 1,500 miles for 147,000.00 good deal?

23. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I think it is a bit high. You can probably buy a 05 spider for that price. As you know they command a higher price. I would offer at least 10-12K less as a starting point. That doesn't mean you will get it.

05 spider I looked at in IL last October sold for 152K. I think it had 5-6K miles and it was a red/tan 6 speed.

Bottom line: Don't let a few thousand stop you if you really like it.

24. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Interesting thread here from 5 years ago about F1 vs Manual prices based on what we are now seeing.

25. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    +\- a few thousand dollars on a 150k car - does it really matter at all? As others have stated the most important part is understanding your needs and meeting them. I got my 1st Ferrari ride in a manual 308. So I refused to buy an f1 430, took longer to find but I love my car, 06 red/tan manual. Thought I would sell after I bought a Scud, no way, FOR ME, not having the gated shifter(click clack & rev matching even without going fast) lessens the enjoyment. After you write the check forget about it, consider 1/2 gone, enjoy putting lots of miles on your new car!