Inexpensive Automatic Chronograph Watch? | FerrariChat

Inexpensive Automatic Chronograph Watch?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Dom, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I would love a nice automatic chronograph watch, but I don't want to pay alot of money. Can you get a decent automatic watch, for say, less than $500?

I currently have a Momo SpeedDesign watch, which I love, except that it is quartz and not automatic. I notice that Momo also makes a really nice watch called the Race Master, that is automatic, but seems to sell for about $1000 (stainless steel) to $1600 (titanium). Since I usually get tired of a watch after a few years, I just can't justify spending that kind of money.

Do you really have to spend over $1000 to get a decent automatic watch?

Dom

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    By automatic do you mean a self winding watch?

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Dom,I may be proved wrong but IMHO there is no way you can a "Decent "chronometer for this price,the reasoning is that to get the Chronometer certification the watch must be able to meet some pretty stringent criteria and for a mechanical movement to achieve this then they are relatively complicated and are therefore more expensive.Good luck and hope you can do it.
    Dave Mc

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  5. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
  6. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I've got two Bucherers that are both officially certified chronometers. They were $80 a piece. Of course they're both from the 70s and I bought them three years ago.

So no, you don't have to spend anywhere near $1000 to get a very good automatic watch with a great movement, but you will generally need to spend more than $1000 to get a new quality automatic watch.

7. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Hamilton Khaki Auto's come in chrono's for around 425 I think. They are very nice.

8. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I just saw an auto watch that came with a winder for <$400 at my local Sam's club this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand. It wasn't a familiar one to me at the time.

Dave

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Matkat, I think he wants a chronoGRAPH, not a chronoMETER. Big difference. A Chronograph is simply a multi-dialed watch that has stop watch functions.

Peter, check out www.timezone.com, www.equationoftime.com, or www.pmwf.com and ask your question in one of the general forums. You'll be amazed at the response.

10. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Jim, all watches are chronometers since chronometer simply means it measures times. Officaly certified chronometers means it tells time well. He wanted a good quality automatic chronograph... typically those will also be certified chronometers.

Also, we were mianly responding to the last question "Do you really have to spend over $1000 to get a decent automatic watch?" Which didn't include the chronograph feature. Though it was probably assumed.

11. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You're correct, I just assumed by the use of 'chronometer' that he was referring to the certified versions, since I don't hear the term used unless it IS certified. I did not get the impression that Peter was looking for something of that caliber.

Peter, look at the Invictas. They have some automatic chrongraphs for under $200. They're not Vacheron Constantin's, but they'll tell time for the price you want.

12. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You can get nice Seiko chronograph's for less than $500.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Check out this site: http://www.rockxwatch.com/curverd2/FORMULA/index.html. I just saw their Scuderia advertisement in Sept issue of ROSSO. (japanese exotic car magazine)

Formula series now has Scuderia model, which is only advertised on some car magazines (not on the site yet) Priced around $350 to 400. It is digital watch, but uses Conolly leather for a strap, and comes w/ red (black stitch) belt w/ red dial, black (w/ yellow stitch) w/ Yellow dial, and black (red stictch) w/ black dial. Between the center & "12", there's a silver Prancing horse embossed.

I haven't bought anything from them before. It's just FYI. In the magazine, they have advertisement of Rolex, P Phillip, F Mueller, etc, and I thought it was odd to see this low priced (almost fake) watch advertisement.

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for all the replies.

LetsJet: I saw that, and am considering it. It's more than I want to spend. I don't know how much I could sell my current watch for, though, since the glass is pretty scratched up.

Dom

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    "Can you get a decent automatic watch, for say, less than $500?"

Yes, purchase this one (ebay) and sell yours.

Do you really have to spend over $1000 to get a decent automatic watch?"

No
    ---------------------------------------

Don't stress over it..........if your not ready, another one will come along. I hope I helped answer your questions

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey, those watches are pretty cool! I think I may buy one. For $29, you can't go wrong.

So, why are these so cheap? I presume because they are not "certified" chronometers.

Dom

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Seiko and Citizen are the first two that come to mind in that price range. There are many manufacturers that produce automatic chronographs. Just do some research on watch forums (www.timezone.com is the best IMO) and browse jewellery stores, asking the people there alot of questions. There's an old saying that goes "Buy the seller, not the watch!"

20. BobbyMR2LS1

BobbyMR2LS1 Rookie

Sep 2, 2004
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    #21 BobbyMR2LS1, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got my Seiko Arctura Kinetic Chronograph 2 weeks back and absolutely love it.. Even though my Tag cost more, I dont even look at my Tag anymore or my Rado. Seiko will soon start advertising this watch this fall. I believe this is the worlds first kinetic chronograph thats Quartz.Here's a pic.. MSRP is 675 but u should be able to get it under 500..model SNL001
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bought one of these watches because it looks like the GP Ferrari watch. I’ll certify that it gains about 6 to 10 minutes a day but it looks sharp.

22. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm confused, how can it be kinetic AND quartz?

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    look at an automatic locman!
    Erik