599 GTO test mule? | FerrariChat

599 GTO test mule?

Discussion in '612/599' started by SouthernThunder, Dec 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Karting

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    #1 SouthernThunder, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    It was spotted my marchettino a couple of days ago testing.
    Possibly a test mule for the 599 successor? He said it had no ferrari badges, different led headlights,and raw front and rear air intakes,different exhaust, etc.
    What do you guys think? Video link down below.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_5t1buOcI&feature=player_embedded

2. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Headlights look like California ones, probably just temporary although I'm sure the replacement will have LED lights of some sort. Also appears to have a double-clutch trans, this car is going to be crazy fast.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Thought I heard the DCT as well

4. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It sounds really beefy, it's got a full tone to it. I can't wait to see what comes of it, direct injection, dual clutch, and still 12 cylinders it sounds like. Awesome :)

5. MarchettinoYT

MarchettinoYT Karting

Jul 10, 2010
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for posting my video. The spot is not 2 days old, it's very fresh, i took the video this afternoon. I think this is one of the initial tests for the 599 replacement. When Ferrari made the first tests for the 458 they used the F430s with under the 458 mechanical components, maybe they're doing the same.

6. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Ferrari tends to do that as do many other manufacturers. Your videos are very impressive Marco

7. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    ... Interesting. Car is equipped with DCT imo.

Marchettinno ... whenever you post vids you have my full attention ;)

8. MarchettinoYT

MarchettinoYT Karting

Jul 10, 2010
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
  9. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Or the 612 replacement..?

Gr. Martin

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Martin- Probably not the 612 replacement chassis, because that will have a considerably longer wheelbase than the 599, I think. 599 wheelbase 2750 mm, 612 wheelbase 2900 mm. 150 mm longer is a little less than 6" (5.91").

They sure are getting big. The Maranello only had a 2500 mm wheelbase and the 456 was 2600 mm and that is a 2+2.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Karting

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    agreed..sounds similar to a 458 shift

12. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    There's no reason for that to be a 612 replacement. That test mule correspond to initial testing phase. When they test gearbox, engine and other important components on to the last car base. So the car looks like a old generation with minimal changes. At this step is this test mule for 599 successor.

Next phase is the prototype car close to the real production car with as much new components as they can put in to test. It look like a heavy disguise camouflage car. In this phase was seen 612's successor.

The last phase is a almost lane production car almost 100% the car that will be released. Few things will be changed from this point. It obvious look like a finished car with camo over its body. We probably see this tipe of car being 612 successor on the next period.

The 599 successor will be for sure an evolution. just like the 575 was for the 550. More like a facelift.

Im sure the car will be faster or close to 599 gto.

13. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    It's going to be the same story as 458 vs. Scuderia, the replacement will be faster in lap times and 0-60 etc.. but people will argue it's not as visceral and raw as the GTO/Scud. If no major breakthroughs occur in the near future I have a feeling Ferrari is going to hit a strange plateau where all cars will be too subdued and they will have to start taking steps backwards. I certainly hope that is not the case.

14. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    #14 Ferrarista3, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Ferrari already announced that the 599, unlike the Maranello, will not be facelifted/updated. It will be replaced by a completely different car at some point in 2012.

They're going to have to adopt some interesting solutions in order to respect future emission standards. Chances are that they will use hybrid technology, DFI, start&stop, KERS etc...

15. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Difficult to tell much regarding how the styling will be but the sound is intoxicating!
    Great video

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The 612 replacement is due to show in March. It would be testing in a much more production ready guise at this stage.
    With the 458 we saw a huge number of "leaked" photos in the run up. With the 612 almost none. Is security suddenly that much better? Interest that much lower? Or is it just not part of Ferrari's marketing plan this time around to tease?

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Carlo- I agree. The HGTE and GTO were the M versions of the 599. With production beginning in 2006, the car will be 7 years old by the time replacements start being delivered. Plus with a new engine with direct injection and a new transmission, I am betting they also follow the California and 458 lead with a multi-link rear suspension.

So a new car is in the works. If they do to the engine what they did to the 458, a simplistic formula of 6.0/4.5 x 562 gives 749 hp. Leaves room for an M version later with 800 or so hp. Need that to keep up with Lamborghini.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It may indeed be an evolution and possibly as fast--at least nominally--but I guarantee it'll never be a "GTO" :)

19. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

As far as I can tell, this is a GTO body with a few modifications.

Why do you guys think that this is a test mule for the 599 replacement?

20. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    because its sounds different, so both the engine and the gearbox changed. SO it has different engine and gearbox.

Also the headlights are from california.......

TrojanHorse@ Its just me but I think ferrari could build a better succesor for 599 than gto is.

21. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They'll always be something faster--I've been around long enough to know that tru-ism--but better, that's a different animal! Surely faster, but is there something better than a 250 GTO? An Enzo? F40?

Time will tell :)

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- Better car, sure. Better Ferrari, maybe not. Nothing makes a better Ferrari than a 250 GTO, except a 250 LM, but then I am prejudiced. GTO very easy to drive on the streets, LM a bit more requirement for skill using the dog clutch transmission.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

23. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    :) Indeed but that is sometimes hard to relay to somebody who doesn't actually own and drive such a car (no intention to offend anybody with this statement)!!!! Yes, there will always be faster Ferrari's as time goes on but only a handful have that special feel, I tend to call it "soul" and that is what makes these cars truly special.

24. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    550/575, 599gtb,599gto, 599successor.

Which one of this have more soul? Because the performance scale is for sure like the order I wrote them, but by soul...it may be opposite:p

25. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    Absolutely correct,
    this is a Mulotipo of the new F152, the 599 Fiorano replacement, testing new engine and transmission.
    Date of the new car (that I have red in a Ferrari purchasing office comunication towards suppliers) are:
    Process verification : August 2011
    Pre-series : November 2011
    Job1 : March 2012

If there will not be delay in the planning, I suppose first pictures of the car will be showed within next year.
    Cheer