Transmission buzz | FerrariChat

Transmission buzz

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by RickLederman, Dec 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    There was a thread on this before but I have heard nothing lately. My transmission has been buzzing on & off the last three days. It has done it before once in a while but this morning for example, leaving a 62 degree garage, it made the LOUD buzzing sound on and off for the three miles to work. In 7th it went away but upon downshifting and even stopped it buzzed loud. I have figured out that in 3rd it seems to keep buzzing somewhat, in 4th it only buzzes when I go from foot on the gas to foot off the gas and the reverse so it appears that it happens when selecting a different odd gear. It does it in neutral too.

I will call the dealer this morning but since it appears for now to be getting worse I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem and what the result was.

Rick

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    It's most likely the resonance issue caused by the pump in 'box. A software reflash is usually all that's required if it is this problem. The easy way to tell is does it do it only in auto mode and on downshifts? If it goes away when you switch to manual mode then it's the resonance issue.

3. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #3 RickLederman, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    Thanks, but mine is in manual mode all the time. At one time months ago I had it and had been using the auto downshift quite a bit so I began forcing the downshifts. Lately with all of the snow and ice I have been again allowing it to auto downshift so the RPM change doesn't affect traction as much as a higher RPM downshift would but today I was forcing all shifts in manual, downshifting earlier than the transmission would on its own.

I will call MAG to see if I can get it in for a reflash to see if that helps ... again thanks!

Actually just called them and they are picking it up Monday for a reflash but we will see what it really needs after they get it. A sad day, I will have to drive the S550 after Monday next week! :( Life is sometimes tough ain't it :D

Rick

4. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I had mine reflashed a few months ago and the situation improved alot. Have heard the noise only once since in very low speed stop and go driving (as in Manhattan) in Comfort mode. A couple of quick sprints in Sport and it remedied itself.

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Thanks, and mine is now quiet with a drive home and back. It sure was noisy this morning though, way longer than normal. Hopefully I get it back Wednesday, with another oil change under its belt too.

Rick

6. LarryB4134

LarryB4134 Rookie

Oct 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Larry Bowling
    I'll Do what I can to be sure you have it back as soon as possible.... =)

7. ScuderiaDallas

ScuderiaDallas Karting

Jul 25, 2009
    Allen, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ahhh... another gripe!!!!!

8. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yep, add it to the gripe list :). I drove it to work today and it was quiet. Guess it knows it is headed to the dealer.

Larry, thanks! Hopefully you guys get it back Wednesday or Thursday. We are getting a couple inches of snow late Monday night but by Wednesday it should be somewhat cleared up enough to drive.

9. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    It is back! All seems well. They put new software in the transmission that changes pump pressures at various times. I am a happy camper!

Rick