Ferrari Built from 12 Photos | FerrariChat

Ferrari Built from 12 Photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275gtb6c, Jan 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #1 275gtb6c, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice article of a rebuilt Ferrari from 1951 (Vignale) that was bought in late 1951 and drove back by the fresh owner all the way to Sweden.
    Car crased (owner unfortunately was killed), the car was rebuild by Vignale (Coupe) and some years back rebuild to the original spyder based on 12 photo's,
    see:
    http://www.tinmantech.com/html/ferrari.php

Any more info of car, whereabouts and quality of rebuilding?

Ciao
    Oscar

ps copyright unknown
    ps2 that search engine of ferrarichat is so hideous that this might be a repost, in that case sorry....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    This is s/n 0238A and it's a complete nonsense to remove an ORIGINAL Vignale coupe body to put a Vignale spyder REPLICA body on the chassis, even if it's true that 0238A was born as Vignale spyder...

3. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    #3 kaisen, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Nonsense? If it was born as a Spyder?

The worst case scenario is that it is now BOTH.... it sounds as if it could be returned to Coupe form if they saw fit. Its not like they cut up the coupe body.

It's like a race car having two tails, one for Lemans and one for a short course. Which is more 'correct'?

I think it's cool, for what my opinion is worth. No harm, no foul.

4. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #4 275gtb6c, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Aardy,

I agree with you that it is silly to remove the body, on the other hand the Vignale Berlinetta body was not destroyed but put aside. Nice story for the discussion of fakes/rebuild/reconstruction though....

For me it is just a very nice action of the new owner to try to get the car back to original specs though. Take some courage to get the (nice looking) Berlinetta body of the chassis.

Did not know the story or the chassis number, I think the car must have been from 1953 rather than 1951....

ciao
    Oscar

5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Am I alone to see a difference between a beautiful 1953 ORIGINAL coupe body built by Vignale and this 1996 Vignale spyder REPLICA thing ??

6. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Aardy-

If this was a Spyder that had been heavily damaged in competition decades ago, only to languish in a barn somewhere, would you restore it to its former glory? Would you consider it a replica if the badly damaged body was painstakingly recreated? No, it would be called a restoration. And if you don't think so, there are a lot of (multi)million dollar Ferraris out there that had 'suffered' the same fate.

Even better, this car STILL HAS its replacement Vignale COUPE body.

When this car was wrecked, decades ago, it was just another used car. They 'fixed' it by fitting an incorrect body to a still-good used chassis. It would have been correct to fit another Spyder body, but for whatever reason lost to time, they didn't. Again, it was just a used car back then.

E

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    In this case, the berlinetta body was made by Vignale a long time ago. So it should be reunited with the chassis. It's like remove the Breadvan's body and put a replica SWB berlinetta body on it. The same happened with #2737GT and others. Not good.

8. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Yes, but the fact is that 0024M, 0036M, 0038M, 0138A, 0196A, 0238A, 0125EL original Vignale bodies were removed and now, all these cars are UGLY with their REPLICA bodies...

9. kaisen

kaisen Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Minneapolis
    So it's an issue of aesthetics! I see......

10. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    I found this car in dissembled state in the early 1980's and at that time, it had with the pile of parts ,a Vignale coupe body from a different chassis, I eventually traded the project with a Swedish friend for something else and he had it redone over a 10 year period to the present configuration that is as close as possible to the first iteration. I have a very current picture just not handy today, will post it next week . What is interesting to me is that it was ice raced in Sweden very early like 1954 and today it back in Sweden in similar trim and being driven in ice and snow (albeit not raced)

jeffrey vogel
    bridgehampton

11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    0238A with a Vignale coupe body from a different chassis ?? Are you joking ??

12. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    nope this was a disassembled project i found in Midwest ,the coupe body was from another Ferrari that had it's body replaced as well. It was more common then you think, My old 250MM
    was first a spyder but when I got it had a closed body similar to TdF , and now the current owner has a part-replica Vignale spyder body on it and it's been crashed twice since ! that was 0296

13. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    0238A, does anyone wanna do some picture trading? I got nothing on this one!

[email protected]

14. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Well 0086E more recently lost its body of what 50 years?. RIP.

15. Lel

Lel Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2007
    #15 Lel, Jan 9, 2011
    The true story of the 340 Ferrari:

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/all.ferraris/Detail/0238A.340America.htm

And this is what it looked like just before the body was painted in it's original red a year ago.
    The car will be back on the road this year.

And who knows? The coupé body will probably be displayed on another italian chassi from the same epoch. The cars are in the hands of the most skilled car restorers in Sweden.

L-E

16. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #16 Aardy, Jan 9, 2011
    Sorry but I don't understand : are you saying the Vignale coupe body below came from another s/n ??

You must be wrong : this was 0238A which was rebodied by Vignale as coupe in 1953 after a crash in 1953.

Removing its original Vignale coupe body was a complete nonsense.

I prefer a car with its second ORIGINAL body than another with its first REPLICA body.

All these rebodied cars have NO SOUL...

17. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    #17 275gtb6c, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Is a beautiful song performed bij Hawkens and of course Charlie Parker, but for a piece of metal? I think it is great the owner converted this car to its beautiful original looks, as I said it takes some courage to do so. He did not ruin any history or art.
    The discussions about remakes and fakes will continue and have not my interesse, but stating that a new body doesnt have any soul is nonsense. Soul is in people, music and art, not in a piece of metal.

So hats off for the people who started this reconstruction as it is now as close as can be as it once was in Sweden, and oh yes I will ice race myself overthere this March.....unfortunately not in a vintage Ferrari, must be great fun....
    Ciao
    Oscar

18. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    0848 was born in 1966 as a 330 P3, not as a P3/412P.

Why not removing the 1967 P3/412P ORIGINAL body to put on the frame a 2011 330 P3 REPLICA body ??

I'm sure you would love it as it's only piece of metal...

19. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Oh yes, I forgot to say I would put the ORIGINAL body of 0848 on a 330 GT 2+2 frame of course as it's only piece of metal...

20. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    http://www.motorima.com/projects.php?id=41

21. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The car was rolled about 30 days after delivery so it was not "just another used car". It was not really wrecked either. Rolled on soft snow and fully repairable but Bjurström decided to have it redone for his own selfish reasons.

I hope story on how this car was rebodied working from 12 old photos is a joke.

Best wishes, Kare

22. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #22 Peter, Jan 10, 2011
    Oscar makes a good point in regards to these remade bodies.

I point to the example of S/N: 0262M and it's recreated Abarth detachable body (remade by, I believe it was Wayne Sparling?). Would people feel the same negative way about this car?

I saw it in person back in Monterey in 2004 (when it was up for auction) and was quite amazed with it. I had only known about it through black & white photos in Abarth books. Without his efforts, that's where that car would remain, in black & white photos in a book...

23. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    0262M had an original 1954 Scaglietti spyder body before the restoration and it's this body that shoud have been saved.

Today, 0262M is just another car with a REPLICA body and if you look carefully, you even would notice several errors in the shape of this body...

24. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    #24 wolfchen75, Jan 10, 2011
  25. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I see the problem : the pilot has two arms...