More toys. | FerrariChat

More toys.

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Jan 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe not toys. Perhaps "inventory" is a better word. This pallet was just delivered to my door. It is a spare drivetrain for my Toyota that came from a car that was stored out in the open on Maui for many years. The car was very badly rusted and almost disintegrated during the move.

Spares for this car are pretty hard to come by, so it is fortunate to find some so close to home.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Was that pallet shipped inter island? If so how much? Mark

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mark

Yes, the pallet was sent from Maui to Honolulu. It was door to door service through DHX. Of course, it went on the Young Brothers barge.The shipping charge was $194.

Aloha
    Larry

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #4 sowest, Feb 23, 2011
    I got the second pallet of parts from the Maui car. The glass was in this very nice wooden crate. It is made from 1/2" plywood (no particle board) with a removable lid. The inside dimensions are 47 1/2" X 14" X 20" deep. Would anyone local like to have the box (free)? I hate the thought of cutting it up and sending it to the landfill.

5. PassTheSpanner

PassTheSpanner Karting

Nov 2, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What toyota does that engine go to? It is very interesting looking. Air cooled?

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #6 sowest, Feb 25, 2011
    Hi Steve

Good eye! Yes, it is an 800cc, air cooled twin. There was a range of very small sedans that used 700cc and 800cc versions of the engine. There was also a very small number of sports cars made. The sports car was assigned as a project to one of Toyota's young engineers, so it it mostly the product of a single man. This engineer was working on a high altitude, pressurized fighter aircraft that was intended to counter the B-29. The war ended before the aircraft saw service. I was lucky enough to exchange a couple of letters with this gentleman before he passed away a couple of years ago.

I have attached a photo of my car that was taken by the previous owner during our negotiations for purchase. The car is called the Toyota Sports 800.

Aloha
    Larry

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow! What a great car! I've never seen or heard of that one! I personally would love a 2000gt (especially if it's left hand drive). I have my 1997 Supra TT and I would like the original Toyota sports car as a stable mate.

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Jay

Thanks for the note. The 800 is a very nice little package.Toyota's reputation is for reliable but kind of boring transportation, but they have done some very interesting cars too. Your Supra is a good example.

I too would love to have a 2000GT, but I am afraid that they are out of my price range now. If you could settle for a Sports 800, they do come up for sale now and then. Too many of the cars have suffered a drive train transplant because of the difficulty of finding parts. I liked the car that I ended up with because it was complete and original. There is a Yahoo group for these cars which is a good source of information and contacts.

Aloha
    Larry

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

More pictures please, side and interior would be really nice. Great car.

10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #10 sowest, Feb 27, 2011
    Hi Glassman

Thanks for your message and interest in the little Toyota. These are the only other pictures that I have on this computer. I will have to do a little work to come up with some more.

Aloha
    Larry

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Very nice.

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #12 sowest, Feb 28, 2011
  13. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Love the license plate Larry! Is that still on the car? I can't recall... By the way, how is the quatroporte, the 330, the Morgan, the Merak and most importantly the GTV doing? :)

14. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Kris

It is good to hear from you. I hope you are well. I hope you are starting to have some good weather so that your Ferrari can come out of winter hibernation.

The license plate in the pictures of the Toyota is California, so it can't be used here. I do have it hanging on the shop wall, though.

I have been making slow, steady progress on the Quattroporte whenever time allows. It all started with fixing the A/C and one thing led to another and another. I am now working on the exhaust....;>) If you ever feel like like wasting some time, I have been keeping a thread on the project in the Maserati section (Quattroporte III A/C).

All the other projects are just waiting their turn. The GTV is doing fine and running well . It seems to thrive on benign neglect....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

15. lanesf430

lanesf430 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    great car....

16. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Thanks very much. Judging from "lanesf430", I take it that you are a lucky owner of a 430, so I take your comment as high praise, indeed!!

17. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    nice little toyota!

18. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Dino

Thanks very much!

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Larry...

Decided to check out what you have going on over on
    this thread!!! Needless to say, I was much surprised and
    I think you are holding out on us!!!

It would be great if you could post some pictures of your
    shop, the QPIII, the Merak (?), 330, Morgan, and of course
    the Toyota (which looks like a really great and unique little car!)....

You have seen my projects so it's time to see yours (projects
    that is!)...

Mike

20. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Mike

Welcome to Hawaii....;>) No, not holding out on anyone, merely a deficit of time and organization. I have accumulated some projects over the years and find that there just isn't enough time to do them justice. They are all packed away in storage with all kinds of other parts stacked around and on top of them. It makes getting pictures very difficult. That is why I marvel at your neat, clean, and organized shop. It isn't that I am messy by nature, I simply don't have enough room so things get stacked in every available space. Getting the Quattroporte assembled and mobile is the first step in my plan to get the projects underway. Anyone who works with cars knows that "Cars taken apart consume a lot more space than cars that are assembled".

Yes, there is a Merak. Of course it has a story. I think it might make for a good thread in the Maserati section.

The Morgan is a Matchless engined three-wheeler. It needs engine work. It is the car that was used in the Peter Sellers movie "The Party".

I see in Kris's post, he forgot the Lotus 7. I have one of the ugly Series IV cars. It also has a story. The nice thing is that this car has the Twin Cam in it. It is hanging from the rafters.

Aloha
    Larry

21. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #21 sowest, Aug 4, 2011
    Hide Food or Leatherique?? I just got these seats. At first, my friend on Maui said that he wanted to hold onto the seats for a project that he was contemplating. He recently contacted me and said that it was unlikely that he would use the seats. Would I like to have them? Yes!! The cushions and upholstery are wasted, but the aluminum frames are very cool.

22. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think you need to use a LOT of both ... LOL!

23. wbc

wbc Karting

Sep 21, 2007
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Upgrades for the Alfa's seats, Larry?

24. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Ron. I too have to laugh when I look at the seats. A LOT of Hide Food and a hide should fix things up....;>)

Hi Bill. It is good to hear from you again. I have to be careful about upgrading the Alfa. I was reading the paper and having morning coffee at a cafe in Ward Center last week. The Alfa was parked where I could see it. A group of Japanese tourists were having a great time taking each other's picture next to the car. It isn't just transportation. It also has entertainment value....;>)

Hi Stuart. You do understand. Cool air without the complexity and horsepower drain of actual air conditioning. There are downsides. The last time that I was on the freeway, headed out your way, I had some plastic bags in the trunk and the wind started to draw the bags out through the holes in the rear fenders.

Aloha
    Larry

25. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    What are those out of?