My Dad's Bondurant Experience | FerrariChat

My Dad's Bondurant Experience

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SMS, Mar 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #1 SMS, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The story below is my Dad's email to his buddys following 2 days at Bondurant. He turns 78 years young this April. Thought some of you would like this write up. First pics are of his own Z, foloowed by the track shots.

This week I had the fun of attending Bondurant School of High Performance Driving for two days. I enrolled in the course called Z06 Experience.
    It was a blast. I have written it up and sending it to you and any one else who I think is interested. The Ron I speak of is our friend, now dying of cancer, who was at one time a top-fuel dragster pilot. So here it is:

Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving Feb 22-23, 2011
    The weather was beautiful, but a little chilly. Glad I had a jacket.
    I arrived early at the track, before the office was open, but while walking around the school cars, I was greeted by an employee who invited me into the museum and told me to enjoy it. I read the chronology of Bondurant's racing history, and saw a variety of cars significant to the school. Another fellow, Brian A... from Boulder, CO, had arrived and we chatted until the office opened. We signed in and signed all the waivers. Then joined others in a classroom where we learned techniques, what makes a car do what it does? How and why do braking and accelerating affect turning. Lift, brake, turn in, trail brake, hit the apex, point to the exit, unwind the wheel and accelerate. Your eyes and concentration must be about two steps ahead of where you are. Anticipation is stressed. Expect the unexpected, especially on the streets and highways. Don't get behind a vehicle you cannot see around. People on cell phones are as dangerous as a drunk.

Then we were driven around the road course in Chevy Vans, at speed, and some of the students got woozy. Next was our turn in our cars. I had Z06 #2 for the entire 2 days. We drove the slalom course several times. Then a reaction test, one lane of highway splits into 3 lanes. At about 45mph, each of the 3 lanes has a green light, when without warning 2 of them turn red. You have to react quickly enough to steer into the green lane, without hitting anything. They told us to think of the orange cones as pets or children. Next was an exercise in depth perception, where we had to bring the car to a smooth controlled stop from 65-70mph in a specified distance. That distance was then shortened and the run repeated. The last distance required extreme braking, but we still had to do it smoothly, and without putting the car in ABS mode. Next was an exercise to show us accident avoidance.
    At 65mph, we had to slam on the brakes at a specified point, getting into ABS mode, and steering around an obstacle. It demonstrated that when you cannot stop short of something, ABS still lets you steer to avoid it. The speed and distance chosen resulted in the car being about 1-2 car lengths past the point of impact, but if you did it correctly, you were alongside the obstruction. We all did well in each of these exercises.

At last we had a chance to get on the 1.6 mile road course for a number of laps, getting the feel of the car and trying to remember all we had been told. For the first few laps, our instructor led us in his car, and we followed in line. No passing allowed. Then he pulled off and we enjoyed ourselves. If we caught up to someone, we pulled into the pit lane and waited for the track to clear and went at it again. We had very specific instructions on hand signals and techniques for leaving and entering the course. At the end of the day, Bob Bondurant and his wife were in the office and we were introduced to them.
    Back at home, Mar and I went to J...'s and I shared my day with Ron. He seemed to enjoy hearing about it, and was perked up. We stayed for supper at Donna's request.

Day 2. Another beautiful day. After a short refresher course in the classroom and instructions in how to properly downshift, we made several runs to practice downshifting from 3 to 2 at 60mph. Next we attacked the autocross track, defined by cones on a very large parking lot area. We were to make 1 ½ laps and then exit. In 2nd gear all the time. My first 2 tries, I did 2 ½ laps, because I lost track of where I had been. I started slowly (relatively speaking), but improved my time on each run. My best time of 102 seconds was 2 seconds faster than the guy driving a ZR1. Thinking back, I know I was not using full throttle at times when I could have. Next, we drove that part of the road course called Maricopa Oval. It might be a quarter mile, but I am not sure. One end is a constant radius, but the other end is a tight radius into an increasing radius, (or vice versa, depending on your direction). On one lap, I went into the tight corner too fast and put one wheel in the dirt, throwing up a cloud of dust. Our final exercise was on the "West Track", described as "1.1 miles. Fast and flat, this track is primarily used for Advanced Road Racing and Executive Protection Courses." After taking us around in the instructor's car, he then led us around, as we tried to keep up. Three of us, with 2 instructors. At one point we caught up to the slowest guy, and the second instructor, who has been watching from a parked spot, pulled out and protected the slower car while we passed him. On the long straight, we were able to exceed 100mph, just before braking for a hard left turn. Our earlier braking exercises were put to good use here.

The 2 days were over much too quickly. The ZR1 driver(Dr Mike H. from Dallas) was in for a third day, so only 2 of us stayed for the presentation of our certificates and plaques. My grade was 3.0 on a 1 to 5 scale. Good enough for an almost 78 year old. Our instructors were absolutely first class. All professional racers, with numerous driving titles, and one, Cory Hosford, is a Hollywood stunt driver also, with several movies and Miami Vice TV shows to his credit.
    They were kind and patient with each of us even when we made mistakes.
    Bob Bondurant was there to talk to us at the presentation of the certificates, and told us no one will ever get a 5. He has given NASCAR and Indy drivers 4.5. Made my 3.0 sound better. Earlier in the day, Bill Elliott, NASCAR driver, was there with his young son Chase, and I told Bill Elliott I would like to meet his son. Someone said he is 15, but I would have said 12 or 13. When I pulled out a pen and my driving manual, Bill started to reach for my pen, thinking I was asking for his autograph, but I pulled the pen back and said "No, I want Chase's". Bill smiled, and Chase said "You mean me?"

I was the last to leave the office, after saying goodbye to the remaining staff, and went to my car. Then I decided to go back and ask for a copy of the Driving Manual to give to Ron. When I told the receptionist, Randi Abbott, about Ron, she handed me a booklet and asked his name and how to spell it. She then went upstairs and in a few minutes returned with a poster of Bondurant in an old racing picture, signed "To Ron J...., Cheers, Bob Bondurant". Randi then asked if I thought Ron would be up to visiting the school, and if he was, Bob wanted to give him some "Hot laps". Kind of a perfect ending to a great experience.
    (note: Ron’s visit with Bob B is now scheduled for March 3)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #2 SMS, Mar 1, 2011
  3. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    #3 rydermike, Mar 1, 2011
    Great story ! I did the advanced gran prix class in july and had a great time , cars were well maintained , with some getting new brake pads after each 1 1/2 session !

4. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Great story, but good Lord, open face helmets???? Haven't we learned anything yet? (See: Dale Sr.)

MB

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i went with my dad for the gp course a couple years ago. it was a blast!

6. Perkman87

Perkman87 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 23, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale FL.
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Perque
    Great story, nice plate!!

7. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I personally think you can see better with open face helmets. I have both, but prefer the open face when driving in heavy traffic situations.

8. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    At the school they like the open face for easier comunication , and there is a VERY generous runoff area there , Even turn 1 on the long course , where I spun twice at 100-125 ....no harm no foul & they didn't even pull you off track to ***** at you .

9. Bullitt44

Bullitt44 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Westlake, OH
    Full Name:
    Jon Sabo
    looks like he had a great time!! Track time makes smiles!

10. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #10 m5guy, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    One of the great things about Bondurant is the talented instructors they retain. Quite a few of today's professional drivers have supported themselves earlier in their careers by instructing at Bondurant. I went through their 2 day school back in 1994. My instructor was.....drum roll......Darren Law.

Other famous former instructors include Johnny O'Connell and Terry Borcheller.

11. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Hi Bill (and Dad):

Great writeup: As a driver only two years senior to your Dad, I have not had track experience as oriented toward racing - we drove our own street vehicles but still had to hit the apex on the corners!

It proves, however, that age should not be a factor in judging driver qualifications. (for the street, especially, since that is where we spend our most vulnerable driving time)

I offer the following proposition and solicit comments and additions. In particular, drivers from across the pond seem to have better driving skills/habits, in general. Why is that? Should we emulate their training and testing?

ALL drivers should be required to pass some relatively simple vehicle control tests to get a license. This should start as driver training in High School. The numbers of teenage and post -teenage deaths are unacceptable.

Implementation of such a policy would not be easy.
    1) There would be considerable resistance from the schools and the licensing agencies. It is sad to say that many driving instructors could not pass even a rudimentary version of such a test.
    2) Cost: A multimillion dollar track facility is not needed for driver training to start in school. The lane choice test, braking tests, and handling tests could be set up in any large parking lot. I would also add (you know why if you lived in the rain/snow/ice part of the country) a wet and dry skid pad test.
    3) Convincing the public that such a program is effective. Too many would see this a encouraging "wild" driving. Or they may think that that all-wheel drive with the various stability features make driver skill obsolete.
    4) Choice of vehicle. This would be the most complicated. If a driver is tested in a modern Passenger car, much less a sporty vehicle, I question whether the handling of a jacked up SUV or Pickup truck is relevant.

A personal note.

I have been to driving events at 3 different tracks, last year the most recent, one of them a formal performance driving school, and I sent my teen age daughter to performance driving school. She agrees with me now, some years later, that it increased her safe driving skills in a major way. (it was also great fun).
    If I had any more teenagers learning to drive, they would have to take such a course as soon as their mechanical driving skills were good enough.

Cheers
    Warren

12. DC Motors

DC Motors Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 23, 2011
    Full Name:
    Nicole
    cool... we are big on doing track stuff and think everyone who drives an exotic should take a driving school. if not for skill, just the camaraderie of the group together, it is very rewarding.

13. FerrariRFan

FerrariRFan Karting

Mar 1, 2010
    Basking Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard Fan
    Bravo to a cool dad. Great story. Thanks for sharing.