Affordable Ferrari Service | FerrariChat

Affordable Ferrari Service

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferrari DLR, Apr 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    #1 Ferrari DLR, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys, as a fellow enthusiast I spent several months figuring out how to create affordable service on certian models that require the heaviest of service.

Here is the dillema, Older classic cars are very valuable so it is ok to spend more to maintain them (most of which need speical care and often a full restoration). And the newer cars have much lower costs to maintain them mainly because of the change from iming belts to chains which do not require the costly service. Also, the newer cars dont require an engine out maintenance. Therefore fluid service is easier to perform.

That leaves the following cars lost in limbo: 308, 328, mondial, 348, 355, 360, 456 TR, 512, 550, 575 and 612 Models. While these cars are still highly desirable (in fact the average owner is more of a true driver than some of the new cars and puts thousands more miles per year in the vehicle), the maintenance costs to value ratio is astronomically higher.

So here is what I came up with as a committment to those drivers:

A COMPLETE MAINTENANCE PROGRAM. I purchased all original Ferrari parts in bulk and created a full maintenance menu with no tricks or gimmicks. The plan is to make sure that you leave with a reasonable bill (not just get a reasonable quote). That means that all addiitional work is performed with similar discounts.

Attached is a preview. I hope you enjoy. Keep in mind that this program includes all Ferrari official parts ( many "cheap" services use aftermarket bearings particularly because the cost difference is in the thousands.), Factory trained and experienced techs that you will be able to ask questions of, a comprehensive Mulit-Point Inspection (with full color report) and of course local pick up and delivery is available with our valet service.

Come feel the dedication.
    Garrett
    Owner of Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale, and Ferrari of Long Island
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Those prices look very good, hope you are a roaring success! :)

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Garrett,

Thanks for posting.

I have heard about too many Ferrari dealers who insist that the engine has to be removed on the 308/328 to do the belts and other service items when in fact, it doesn't. Based on the pricing difference between the major service on the 308/328 and the 355 and 360, I'm wondering if that's what's happening here.

Your pricing for the major service for the 308/328 may be good, I don't know. But is the major for a 308/328 really higher than a 360?

I guess what I'm getting at is, do you expect the engine to come out on the 308/328 to do the belts?

-F

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ? me too.

5. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #5 red3555gtb, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    I'm wondering why the 355 major service is listed at only just over$400.00 more then the 308/328!

6. 89 FERRI

89 FERRI Guest

Jul 31, 2010
    Cold Spring Harbor ,
    Full Name:
    Elliot Siegel
    Will these same prices be offered at L.I. Ferrari ??? Thanks Elliot

7. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Your prices are very much in line with what independent techs charge. For a dealer that goes a long way.

8. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Garret,

With all due respect how can you charge $300 bucks for an oil change??

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #9 furmano, Apr 28, 2011
    Actually, I'm not sure that price is too far off, especially for the V12 models. How many liters of oil do they require? I spend around $50 for just the oil when I do the changes on my small 328.

Before this turns into a price breakdown from the peanut gallery I would ask people the consider the costs involved in running a shop.

My point was more directed to how a major service is performed on a 308/328, specifically if FoFL or FoLI insist on removing the engine.

-F

10. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Let's not start a pissing contest here.

He is listing $295 for a 308 oil change. That is allot of money for oil, an oil filter, and 20 minutes of labor.

Would you pay 300 bucks for an oil change in a Honda Civic? One is as easy to do as the other...

Am I missing something here??

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #11 texasmr2, Apr 28, 2011
    Oil change,fluid change and brake service can be done by you why flush $$ down the drain?? Get yourself a service manual and if your not mechanically inclined I'm sure you know a mechanic that will help you for free beer and barbq.

12. beans-n-icewater

Sep 24, 2006

Nope...you have some common sense

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

At a dealership or mechanical workshop, you would charge a minimum of 1hr to do this task.

We used to charge $60 for 1hrs labour back in 2001 for an oil change. Included in that $60 was the cost of disposing the old engine oil. Averaged out at a couple of bucks per car.

By the time you bring the car in, lift up on the hoist, drain oil etc.etc, we both know it takes longer than 20 mins from start to finish. :):)

I am changing the engine oil on my 348 next week myself, at home. It cost me $120 for Mobil 1 oil and $58 for the oil filter.

Add 1 hr's labour at a workshop @ $120 p/h and there is your $300 348 oil change. :):)

I assume the 308 oil change would use less oil so probably should be cheaper. :):)

I will let Garrett explain that one.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #14 Jdubbya, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    I agree the prices seem to be pretty well in line with what I've seen from independents. I also agree that's probably a pretty big step for a dealer to take. I say good on you just for posting the prices out in the open instead of making it a guessing game like a lot of dealers do. Thanks for that!!

The thing that has always made me wonder though is why service seems to be MUCH cheaper in Great Britain than here. Take a look at the prices any of the big shops over there put out there...QV London, Superformance...etc.

Not dinging on the OP, I'm not even close enough to take advantage of any great deals you guys might come up with, this is just something I've always wondered.

15. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim

Hello F,

There has always been a confusion about what a simple belt service is and a major service. we decided to err on the safe side and include everything as there is no such thing as a belt service. You can change the belts but that is not a full service. While the FUll Service includes the belts, bearings, all fluids, spark plugs (depending ont the model)., water pump (in some models) and changing of the seals and gaskets. Plus the 308s and 328s have points to be changed not to mention it can take up to 12 hours to perform a carburerator adjustment or fule injection adjustment since it is not electornically controlled. In many ways the 308/328 is much more complicated to work on than the 360. Also, in order to do more than just the belts you need to remove much of the car including the air/conditioning systme to reach this part of the motor. ALl that means that it takes at least 20 more hours of work to do a FULL MAJOR SERVICE on a 308/328 than a 360 (plus parts cost abot 20% more in total. That is the major difference. But you are definitely correct that the motor does not have to be removed to peform the major service.

I hope my long winded explanation answereed your quesiton. if not feel free to repost and i will try and clarify any additional points.

Garrett

16. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    Thanks

17. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    #17 Ferrari_Michael, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
    Fantastic explaination. People are far too fast to jump at the chance to find fault. For a main dealer this is fantastic, the conversion into £GBP the value is almost as good, in some cases better than specalists.

People do not realise the specalists can source parts from elsewhere, use alternative brands of oil, different suppliers, not to mention do not have to conform to Ferrari regulations, this all = £££/$$$

How much is a full Ferrari main dealer history versus a specalist worth in respect of re-sale???!!!

Good work, good luck!

Regards
    Mike James

18. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    As you can see we were very aggresive. We took into consideration a lot of factors including parts pricing and labor hours required. While the 355 requires more dissembly to get to the engine it does not require carbuerator adjustments, points etc. Retail pricing on 355 that most delaers charge has always been higher on a 355 than a 308/328. When we paired it down as our committment to THE DRIVERS we went as low as we could go and we simply could not reach the price of the 308/328. The 355 requires almost as much time as the 348 to perform the full major service. Keep in mind once you get that deep into the car you are crazy not to perform the valves and seals. AGAIN THESE PRICES ARE FOR A FULL MAJOR SERVICE not just a belt change. The bearing alone costs around a thousand. The goal here is not to just get you in with a cheap price but to get you out the door at a reasonable price so you can brag how "WE REALLY GET IT!!!"

19. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    Yup available at both of our Long Island and FOrt Lauderdale locations.

20. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    Not offended at all. i am not sure what car you have but as you know oil changes for Ferrari are not cheap and this is a severely reduced price. Many of the models require removal of parts of the car to obtain access. We only use Ferrari oil which as we all know costs about 100+ (alternatives are cheaper but we will not compromise just to give a lower price).

We are quite aware that this is not just free and many of our customers want many more services than just the oil change but we have lowered the price immensely to make this happen. SOme days even I wish it was as cheap and easy to maintain and F car as a honda but what fun woudl that be. HOw many 1982 honda owners that you know have there own community to chat with??? haha/

Hope that helped. and FYI look out for our official launch of this program. We will have a one day party on June 11th at both locations to launch this program with a $99 oil change for that day only. HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES? Please come by and enjoy.
    Garrett

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A Honda Civic doesn't require 12 litres of oil.

The cost per litre of oil for a Honda Civic is about $3, not $15

An oil filter for a Honda Civic is about $5, not $50

I am presuming that the bulk of that $295 is for the cost of the oil.

22. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    YOu basically did the same analysis we did. But to make it simple we decided to charge one price for oil change and averaged it out. Trust me no one is getting rich doing an oil change even at $300. Keep in mind that mobile1 is not approved by Ferrari so the oil is even more expensive. But to be my own devil's advocate teh oil on a 308/328 is acutally cheaper than the newer cars.

In short, this is a severely reduced price for an authorized dealer. JUst look at all of the jobs. This is a complte program not just an oil change. And once again you are all welcome to come to our launch on June 11th where will have a one day $99 oil change. Please make appts as we will have to take reservations as this will be a crazy day.

See you all soon.

23. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    YUp your math is right on. This is not a winner for us. It is our way of keepign the drivers driving and allowing them to have authorized service (increased value) without having to overpay to get it.

I hope everyone appreciates that we are not hiding our pricing. but by putting it out there i am welcoming the comments. SHOWING YOU THAT WE ARE DIFFERENT. NO TRICKS> WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. Keep in mind i am not a mechanic but a Ferrair lover and the owner of several dealerships. I too am putting myself "out there"

Garrett

24. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Garrett,

I wish you luck and hope that your business is a big success!

In regards to my comments about your $295 oil change...keep in mind that I change my own oil (Castor 20/50) and filter (Baldwin) in 40 minutes tops...with this in mind, 300 bucks sounded crazy to me.

I do however understand that this is your business and it must make a profit.

Again, good luck!

Frank

25. Ferrari DLR

Ferrari DLR Karting

Mar 20, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Garrett Hayim
    Frank,

Please dont misunderstand i welcome the comments. I completley understand and i view it as it is my job to try and explain and perhaps educate. YOu are correct other oils and filters are cheaper but they are not recommended and in some cases i have literally seen catastrophic failure (most of these came from using an after market bearing but still). Please keep up the bantar as it is good for the discussion.

Keep in touch,
    Garrett