Ferrari getting on my nerves | FerrariChat

Ferrari getting on my nerves

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scude, May 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    I'm guessing this is the right section because it's all in relation to my 458. A month back or two I had an issue with a speaker so I took the car into service. While I was picking back up, service manager tells me about a "campaign" for the power steering fluid. No idea what he meant but I said ok. He says he'll call me when he finds out more. I NEVER received the call.
    Well couple days ago while driving, power steering malfunction icon lights up and steering gets real stiff. Thankful I was just cruising at the time. Got where I was going and when restarting to leave, light is no longer on and steering seems back to normal. Remember, this is a brand spanking new car, 2011 spec'd out new, only lil over 400 miles. So was a lil annoyed at the fact and planned on taking the car in the following day.
    Next day I follow through with bringing it in and service says "it's probably the "campaign"." I thought, OH the one you were supposed to call me about to bring back my car and never did. So I said call me later and when it's done so I can pick up. Never got the call again so I called and got the story that the "campaign" was done and that a couple errors popped up that they need to check with FNA about, won't know till the next day, that they'd call me in the morn.
    Well, never received the call again, so... I called.... again. Another story about how they don't seem to know what the errors are about and that they put a notice in to the Factory in Italy and have to wait.... till the next day (tomorrow).
    I'm so annoyed rite now. WTF is a "campaign" anyway? Sounds like another way to say recall without catching the negative publicity. Brand new, 300 F-ing thousand dollar car and this is what I gotta deal with. I don't appreciate being told you (service) are going to do something and then it not be done. Not the kind of customer service I'd expect for what I had to friggin pay.
    Feel like saying F**K Ferrari and jumpin ship.

Please forgive me if I've overstepped any boundaries. I guess I needed to vent and it just happened to have come out on Fchat. I appreciate your listening (reading). Any feedback or light on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Or, a different perspective.

2. itwizard

itwizard Karting

May 23, 2010
    Ferrari sales is notoriously known for going to amazing measures to satisfy their clients.

Ferrari service on the other hand, is notoriously known for doing horrifically botched jobs on pretty much everything.

There are few exceptions to this, in particular the cases where service departments are proxied through sales departments.

All I know is that while I was at the Porsche dealership picking up my car after its 20k service, there was a guy in there who was trading in a 458 for a Turbo S and was complaining about how he doesn't want to get anywhere near a Ferrari service center again.

#1 rule with Ferrari service, try to get to them via the sales department.

3. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Totally depends on the dealer. In Atlanta, we are lucky to have a dealer with a fantastic service department. Ferrari as an organization, however, are not always customer centered. Lexus they are not.

4. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    I know what you mean, I always try to go through the dealer. I have my sales person contact service for me. I guess in that sense, they get me in right away.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Try turning the wheel of a 512TR while its parked to see stiff steering LOL

6. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are you dealing with Newport or San Diego by any chance? I have found both to be very responsive when dealing directly with the Service Manager(s). I have taken the time to get to know them in an attempt to "personalize" the issue(s). As someone said, I do find it easier to work with Porsche (I own a new Tubo S) then it is with Ferrari and allot cheaper. I feel your pain. Best wishes.

7. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

Ferraris are like women - if you're expecting perfection, you're going to be disappointed. Like a woman, if you can roll with some of the challenges that come with exotic car ownership, you'll be much happier. :)

The world is full of people who suck and unfortunately, some of them run Ferrari service departments. Your car is only going to be at the dealership a few days each year. Don't let these few days and your dealings with the service people ruin your Ferrari ownership experience. It's not worth it. Deep breaths and venting helps. ;)

8. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    #8 nizam, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
    Sounds like you have an issue with the Service Manager at your dealer. Can you escalate up his/her management chain?

From your location, you may have a choice of dealers so you're not necessarily pinned to that one dealer.

9. gdhodge

gdhodge Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Houston
    We as owners are part of the problem. We allow ourselves to accept bad service because it's a Ferrari. For me, No. I will complain to management then to FNA direct. If they are truly trying to broaden their markets, they will not do it with no regard for customer service. Well, as long as we do not set back and keep our mounths shut.

10. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Ferrari of Tampa Bay (Also Ferrari of Central Florida... same owner) has a terrific service department. They don't miss a beat. GREAT people!

I've heard that Atlanta is also good, but I have not worked with them.

Don't blame the brand for the people's foibles. ...it's the dealer, not the car.

11. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    a "campaign" is a service bulletin which requires the car to have some unscheduled service where a "recall" is a federally mandated safety required service.

12. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    So many things to reply to. Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, Newport Beach is the dealer. I don't know if the guy is the service manager or just a service coordinator. I guess I can inquire about who is the manager. As for perfection, the 458 itself, has been darn close so far... until the pow steer went out. And realistically, I may add a Lambo or switch to a Lambo until a new Fcar comes out but i don't think I can really "jump ship". :)
    As for campaign... So it's pretty much a recall. "Campaigning" to upgrade something in all the cars BEFORE sh*t hits the fan, or should I say, goes up in flames and an official recall is needed. GOT IT! Thanks guys. FChat saved me a couple hundred bucks in venting to a shrink... Just kidding.

13. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    thats normal.
    but i love ferraris too much, so i call them up and often.

14. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Hmmm...you need to see if you can find a different service coordinator there. Your current person is useless and,a I think, beyond repair. Enjoy the car, it is a work of art. You are a lucky man.

15. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    As a psychiatrist, I hate that the forum saved you money from going to your shrink. We need the business to help pay for the Ferraris. LOL

16. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    He's a really nice guy, maybe not the best service coordinator. I'm usually never the type to complain to superiors or management. We'll see what happens today though.

LOL! Keep diagnosing, and prescribing those SSRI's & Mood stabilizers. I think you'll be fine. hahaha.

17. CoolGirl

CoolGirl Rookie

May 2, 2011
    Sunset Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Jessica Sinclair
    I have had so many horrors at Beverly Hills Ferrari, they are the worse at service do not go there.

18. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    #18 Street&Track, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Scude,

I am not saying you should, but there is a way to register a complaint or rather register a request direct to the Ferrari factory.

But be careful what you wish for, because a recent experience shows that pooh really does roll down hill and one of the fastest ways to alienate your dealer is to have both FNA and the factory call your dealer about a customer that is having a problem that seems so bad that they are asking the factory for help.

Anyway, if you go to Ferrari.com and click on Contact at the bottom of the page, as a Ferrari owner you can register your request or complaint direct with Ferrari spa.

Again, I personally would recommend that you try to get satisfaction with your dealer first and only use this as a last resort.......maybe as a final resting place for your dealer relationship.....but hey that's me....some people like to stir the pot and watch the shah hit the fan:)

19. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    Thanks for the heads up. Yea, I really don't wanna do all that, not at this point at least. That would be something I do the day I put in my "resignation" as Ferrari owner. 458 is way too nice to do that over a service slacker. ;)

20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    This Orlando dealership is wonderful. Head mechanic Bruce is awesome. The rest of his team is also very nice. he even fixed my Mosler. I was at a car show and brought the Mosler and my 458. The dealer had my 458 for service and was nice to deliver it to the Festival of speed car show. When my Mosler would not start they offered to take it back to ther dealership. Now both cars are wonderful.

Having owned three of these cars I agree this brand had problems, but I must say they are much improved from the past and are great cars in all aspects.

Lee

21. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    If it makes you feel any better I get the same crap from my Dodge dealer;-)

22. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    So once again, I contacted service myself. The response this time was:

"More Tests. Checking power steering fluid, consistency, and pump operation. They were thinking electrical issue. The battery failed a static test. We're replacing battery under warranty"

So, if this "campaign" was taken care of yesterday, and wasn't the campaign about the power steering fluid, then whats the need to check all that? Guess Ima have to speak to GM tomorrow and see what happens from there.

23. 4EverRosso

4EverRosso Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It’s sad to say, but when it comes to vehicles/boats my experience has been the more expensive the item, the worse the service department. Best service we’ve ever received has been from Lexus. BMW, a little worse, Porsche even more so, Ferrari has breached the annoying border and marine service…….forget about it. Unfortunately, I’ve had to lower my expectations to rationalize the treatment. I’m sure I initially harbored a bit of the “entitlement” syndrome in that I inherently expected higher ticket items to warrant better service standards but years of failing to see that realized have curbed most of that. It’s disappointing that the dealer customer service aspect detracts from the ownership experience, especially when it’s something as simple as proactively returning customer calls.

24. Scude

Scude Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Scuderia Ferrari
    Yea, I'm starting to realize that myself. Today they actually contacted me first. But thats where the good news ends. More tests and more things to look at as they can't seem to figure out why the power steering had gone out. Its ridiculous thought that after every set of tests they have to send a report... to NJ... then to Italy. Then wait to hear back which eats up another day, and run more instructed tests etc. And do the same cycle over again. So no 458 all week and looks like no 458 for the weekend since they have to wait till tomorrow to hear back, run the tests Ferrari wants them to, send a report, and wait to hear back which won't be till monday i'm guessing. WACK!

25. redzone

redzone Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 31, 2007
    Beach
    Full Name:
    John
    LOL my 348 is no joy to park at that. If I had intermittant power steering I'd be happy )