sheared bolt head in Testarossa gearbox | FerrariChat

sheared bolt head in Testarossa gearbox

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by shaikhzeep_212, Jun 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shaikhzeep_212

shaikhzeep_212 Karting

Apr 13, 2006
    Saudi arabia
    Full Name:
    HAM
    Good day gentelmen,

When removed the gear box oil drain magnet plus found stick to it a sheared bolt head!!!! and swarf metal swarf.

Can any one tell me where the bolt head came from and even tough the gear box runing smooth!!!!

Thanks

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Uh oh, I cant tell you where it came from. Obviously a bolt has broken off in the gearbox somewhere.

I would NOT drive your Testarossa anymore until you remove that gearbox, pull it apart and find out where the head of that bolt came from.

It will/could save you thousands of dollars in damage if you do it now mate.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing more about this.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #3 2NA, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Picture?

There really aren't too many bolts with hex heads inside the gearbox. A few that retain shift forks (8mm, with 13mm heads?) and some 10mm ones (17mm heads?) that the ring gear is attached by.

I agree with PAP, you need to find out where it came from.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Happened to my 308. Turned out to be the head of a ring gear bolt. Must have happened as I was pulling onto my lift to change the oil.

The bolt had come mostly out & was jammed between the ring gear & the differential housing. Had started to gouge the housing's inside. Had I tried to drive further most likely It would have poked a hole thru the differential housing.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Scary stuff! Remonds me of when I had a Lotus Esprit Turbo and drained the gear oil and out with the gear oil came a big piece of gear tooth! There was no magnet so that piece of tooth had been wandering around in the gearbox for goodness knows how long just waiting to get caught up and destroy it! Car ran fine though before and after!

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    +1 on the ring gear bolt head. This is a progressive failure...1 bolt fails leaving the rest to take the load, stressing them further. Then the second one fails, etc, etc. When the last few fail, generally all at once, one of the bolt heads end up between the ring and pinion gears. Get it looked at very soon.