Air Conditioner | FerrariChat

Air Conditioner

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hotsauce, Jun 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    #1 hotsauce, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    Ok it's hotter than hades here in Texas, but wanted to ask the group if any one has been having trouble with their air conditioner?

2. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Mine is fine...

3. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Just drove to Vegas and we hit 105% without any air conditioning issues. Worked perfectly, even at 140 mph.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    YIKES!

5. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Mine blew hot air due to a leaky seal which caused all fluid to be lost at 1000 miles.

Its fixed now and is "just OK" at 95+ in Florida. I admit I like my cars ice cold in hot weather and keep it at the 62 min.. My other cars, 575, 430 and even my 512 seem to blow much iceier air. I won't talk about the 328.

The dealer says all is working as designed. "Just OK".

6. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Wow, sounds like a fun drive to Vegas.

7. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    #7 hotsauce, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Just drove around Dallas today in the 458, some was highway, but most was street driving. 30 miles total.

The airconditioner just couldn't keep up. In fact at one stop light the AC just dropped to low fan speed all on it's own till i got up to speed again.

I have been to the dealer and the dealer has instructed us on exactly how to configure the air flow / temp to get the best result (no different than what i was doing before)

I ask again, is anyone having troubles with the AC in this heat? For the record the car read 108 - 110 outside during my drive.

Part of me thinks it's just the overall heat here, the other part is scratching my head because my truck cools down in 5 minutes with no trouble... I know that room is limited on the 458... but still!

thanks in advance

8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    South Australia can be hotter than Texas and I don't recall any problems last summer. The fan speed dropping doesn't sound right to me.

9. jokr

jokr Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    we haven't had enough hot weather here to check, but there have been a couple of occasions where I have taken it out of "auto" mode by bumping up the fan speed manually. If you do that then the fan speed should certainly not decrease on its own.

What I have noticed is that the cockpit does get very warm after you shut down (heat soak), especially compared to my M3. This is probably due to the mid engine configuration, so maybe the air con system has to get rid of more heat than other cars.

10. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    It has been about a 100 degrees here in the midwest with heat indexes from 110 to 120 and my A/C seemed to be working okay for the last heat wave but the very last time I was driving the 458 it did do something weird. The A/C stopped blowing cool air for a about 30 seconds, I think I hit the A/C button a couple of times and then it started blowing cool air again and seemed okay for the rest of the drive.

Unfortunately now the 458 is sitting with a blown fuse so I can't get it started and drive it, so there is no way to tell if that A/C episode was an aberation or whether there is something really wrong with the A/C. I guess I will have the dealer check that while they are replacing the fuse.

11. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Mine works good, but on the hottest days I have to run the fan on high, which is lounder than I wish. I have a black dash and with the angle of the windshield, I guess that is no suprise.

12. flagger

flagger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    These cars have a lot of glass area which has a direct impact on AC capabilities. Had an Acura dealer tell me that auto AC has reached its technological limits. It just can't keep up with all the glass some cars have and the resultant solar heating. Tints help a little, but just look at the size of the front window.

13. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    As I said above, the 458 AC is just OK but not great. I have cars where you could hang meat inside with an icy blast from the AC, not so in the 458.

14. JV458

JV458 Rookie

Aug 2, 2011
    NYC
    Any of your cars have the thermo insulating windscreen? I was told that helps in very hot weather.

15. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Check into Nano-tint as it's pretty much clear but blocks all UV-A and UV-B rays. I have the Side windows and windshield done...I'm in Florida and obviously it gets hot as heck here and my ac pretty much freezes me out of the car!