My 458 is a lemon | FerrariChat

My 458 is a lemon

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vm3, Jun 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #1 vm3, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    I've only had my 458 for a few months but it is proving to be a lemon. Major ailments include:
    1. Front lifter failure. The warning light comes on frequently and the lifter refuses to operate.
    2. Bluetooth fails to dial from phone book and the sound quality is so bad that it is unusable. I had to delete the pairing to use the handset.
    3. Brake calipers leak fluid when driven on a track. The calipers were replaced under warranty but the new calipers also leak. I had to cut short my second track day with it.
    4. After two track days cut short by caliper leaks the total track time was 5 sessions or one full track day. The front pads are still 10 mm thick, one rear pad is 9 mm but the other rear pad is 7 mm. A new carbon ceramic pad wearing 3 mm in one track day is not normal. Furthermore that pad is very dark whereas the other ones are still light gray. At this rate another track day will use up 4-5 mm (the pad wears faster as it gets thinner due to reduced volume for absorbing heat) so the pad will be good for only 2 track days.

Minor ailments include:
    1. The windshield washer fluid bubbles out and flows all over the car on the track.
    2. The door seal came off.

On top of that I think the car is boring except on the track, mostly due to the flat monotone exhaust and the smooth idling engine. I'm thinking about taking my CS out of storage and parking or selling the 458.

2. RyanMinor

RyanMinor Karting

Aug 23, 2007
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan Minor
    Wow that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully Ferrari corrects these issues. What about a Scuderia?

3. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    +1

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    so many things come to mind in response to your problems with your 458...can't wait to see what types you get back from the sycophants...err, tifosi.

Sorry to hear about those issues. The washer fluid and brake caliper leaks have been mentioned by others too...and the other issues (save pad wear) seem kinda minor and I'd say "par for the course" with any new car (luckily we aren't talking about MBZ's of the past 12 years or so...then you could really complain!).

Finally, re the "boring" part...I hear ya! While the 458 is no-doubt fast on the track, I greatly prefer driving a Scud or CS on both the track and the street...the 458 is relatively isolated for a Ferrari...again, relatively being the key word. Its no Nissan GTR, but it made me think of one when I drove it back to back with one and with Scud and others on a track...again, NOT a GTR, but somewhat analogous in the computer intervention, even-a-hack-like-me could drive it fast way it devours a track...

The look of the 458 has grown on me and I'm thinking that I'll get one eventually, but I do hope the "Scud" version that comes is more raw and visceral...that would better suit my tastes in F-cars...

Good luck getting your issues fixed!

And, "HELL YES" take the CS out of storage!

5. PauloSF

PauloSF Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    the further we advance in time, the more usual this will be for these cars, methinks.
    it's probably one of the reasons why they produce a more track ready version after a while. reminds me of what bugatti did with the veyron SS. since the launch control in the standard veyron made the car so composed, owners complained about it. in the SS the car now spins its tyres. inefficient but not so boring.

6. ecks

ecks Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    Chandigarh, India
    Guys, have the front lifter and brake caliper leak issues been rectified by Ferrari via Service "recall" or are these random problems that occur once in a while ? Since my 458 is yet to go into production, I'd like to take any precautions necessary. The Front lifter option isn't really _required_ but would be nice to have, in my case. But if this is a known problem, with the lifter, then I may as well reconsider.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The 458 should be compared to the regular 360 or 430, it is a normal road car and its creators didn't have any track focus in mind. Comparing it to the Scud or CS and calling it boring is missing the point. I think it highly unlikely that the 458 Scuderia or whatever name it will have will be more boring than the 430S. Apples and apples.

Having said that, the problems are highly annoying, worrying, and should be dealt with. It's good to get them out in the open.

Onno

8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    The problem is that you thought you bought a car when in fact you bought a delicate piece of jewlery that you are just supposed to look at.

9. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    In the words of Larry the cable guy-----------"Now thats funny right ther, I don't care who you are, thats funny"

10. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Please, take your 458 to the track on both a wet and a dry day and then tell me its boring. What total nonsense. And I'm a former CS owner.

11. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    I think the 458 road car should at "least" be as good or if not better than the Scud. The simple reason is sales. Why would I buy a 458 if the scud is a better car than the 458. I know the word "better" is interpreted differently by everone on this forum buts lets just say handling,style,hp,transmission,gears,engin,track times,feel are the terms used for better.

Why would Ferrari underachieve its potential sales by producing the 458? Knowing that the Scud is still a "better" car?

12. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    What, you mean like they did with the 360 and 430?

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Reread. He said its boring except on the track.

14. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    can you please elaborate. I am interested in your thoughts in Ferrari strategy.

15. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Thank you for your opinion. I think Buyers/readers need to be aware of all shortcommings and strengths that the 458 has to offer us.

16. ocr

ocr Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Huntington Beach Cal
    Full Name:
    Glenn Morrow
    My lift works great. I've had my 458 for 8 months and use it every time I drive the car. Some guys don't think its worth the money but I would'nt order a 458 without it.

17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    For their last two V8s they've brought out the regular version and then a hardcore version. But for some reason you think this pattern is about to change. Did you not notice that a lot of people kept buying F430s after the Scud became available? Different cars for different people, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

18. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    You are elaborating the 430 to the 430 scud categorie which is well discussed through-out this forum. I am interested in your thoughts to the 430 scud to the new 458 road car being a overall better improved car than the 430 scud. (please no apples to oranges response)

Did Ferrari make the leap from 430 scud to 458 as to the buyer being "i gotta have this car?" when comparred to the 430 scud?

They may have? "vm3" thinks not.

I belive some buyers are expecting to much out of the 458.

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #19 leead1, Jun 24, 2011
    So sorry you are having trouble with your Fcar. Ferrari is usually very good at updating and fixing these cars and the teething process. I will add my dealer has been awesome. just great people to deal with.

I have not had much problem with my 458. I love the engine sound, and the cars apearance.

My only problem is the car does not drive as exciting as other Ferraris I have owned. It may out race them but to be up front I do not race and on the road it is not an exciting car to drive. The cars looks still give people excitment as I drive by but in my view it is hollow excitment for the driver.

I collect cars so as part of a colllection it is worth owning. If I had only one car as my weekend excitment car it would not be the 458.

It is obvious that ferrari is taking their cars in a different design direction. my guess is comfort touring not hard core World class sport car

so sad! I also miss a manual transmission

Lee

20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    You're completely missing the point. The 458 is not a replacement for the Scud, it's the replacement for the F430. The hardcore version of the 458 will be the replacement for the Scud. And further, the 430 Scuderia is not and 'improved' F430, it's a variation on the theme.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #21 TheMayor, Jun 24, 2011

And, it's SPANKING the marvelous McLaren left and right in the press.

22. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    I knew it--------------apples to oranges :)

I think my point is what other buyers have said
    Please do not mis-understand me, I think for "me" the 458 would fit me well. Calm and asphalt ripping when I want.

23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Simple statement of fact.

24. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    That variation in this case is the problem

I believe the buyers of the 458 were expecting a little of the 430 scud in it and not to be so "calm". Maybe its to calm. Ferrari may have missed this.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's fair. Not every car is for every person. I know some that love their Mustang Shelby's and I couldn't drive one if you gave it to me. It scares the hell outta me.

Am I right or am I wrong? I'm neither.