Las Vegas to Toronto in 308 GTB | FerrariChat

Las Vegas to Toronto in 308 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by brettgagnon, Jul 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    Suggestions on routes to take?

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    an air transport ? wow that will be a long drive

3. viphoto

viphoto Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2010
    Carlsbad, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Years ago I hauled a vintage race car back to San Diego from Thunder Bay. Prettiest part of the drive was thru Colorado and Utah via the I-70 (from Vegas up the I-15 to I -70 then East. From Colorado east was kinda boring until the great lakes and Canada. Interesting side note, the Border station on the Canadian side at Grand Portage was staffed with beautiful woman, on the way back the US side was all men...while doing paperwork on the US side I noticed a pair of binoculars on the desk by the window that faced the Canadian station.

If your looking for speed then the I-80 route further to the north may be the way to go. Watch out for the afternoon thunder storms out west this time of year...the hail can get pretty big.

Have a safe trip

4. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I live in Vegas if you need any help on this end.

5. brettgagnon

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    My wife will fly in and meet me in Vegas next Friday and we are going to do the drive, my two options are:

1. South over hoover and try and retrace route 66 as much as i can, with a stop over at any important or fun site we can find
    2. through Utah, Colorado nebraska, all the way to chicago then through detroit

any thoughts on either or?

6. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    I suggest taking the northern route. It will be a few degrees cooler.

7. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    I just finished reading this about 4 months ago, so I think you can guess which way I'd pick. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Route-66-Lost-Found/dp/0760334927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309543473&sr=8-1

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I admire your bravery :)

9. brettgagnon

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
  10. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Way too hot for south route at this time of year, i drove I90 in July and had a few issues with vapor lock. Are your carbs up to the elevation changes heading north in mountains?

11. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I think I would do the Utah/Colorado route. You may want to look at crosing into Canada at Port Huron, MI the roads are better, people are nicer, not as much trafic.

12. Agsurf5

Agsurf5 Rookie

May 29, 2011
  13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Driving with your wife is very nice but I would consider traveling with a chiropractor.

14. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    #14 FiatRN, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    Brett
    Last summer I drove from Colorado to DC and back, and learned a few things about my GT4 in the process.

1 - you will run lean in the high mountains, and with ethanol in all the fuel starting will be annoying when the engine is hot on a hot day.

2 - the big front windscreen lets in a lot of heat.

3 - if you take middle sized roads, and avoid the interstate, the drive is far more pleasurable. The GT4, at least, just loved "blue highways" for the whole day long.

4 - not sure how much time you have, but ... Enter Colorado from Utah at I70. Then loop down to Montrose, across to Gunnison, across to Salida, north to Leadville, take Fremont Pass out of Leadville and head back to the interstate and toward Denver.

5 - the Peak-to-Peak Highway from Mt Evans (just west of Denver, 14,000 feet tall with a paved road to the top) north to Estes Park is just stunning. Sometimes the speed limit is a bit low, but the views are awesome, the road is fun, and the small towns along the way are great. Nederland, CO is just so wacky it is amazing. Estes Park has a great place to stay - the Stanley Hotel, as seen in "The Shining" movie.

6 - Head out of Estes on another great canyon road US 34. From there you can head north on the plains, or tack north again before the plains on CO 27 and then CO 29 up to the Poudre Canyon (Highway 14). Road 27 and 29 are damn small roads and I'm actually not remembering if they're paved (I'm sure there's a way to find out!). A long bit of roads but some amazing views.

7 - From Fort COllins, CO, head NW to Laramie and more mountains, or NE to Cheyenne on the (boring brown) plains. I don't know WY from there, but it does last a long time!

Best luck. Let me know if you stop in Denver. My schedule is bizarre, but I may be around.

Jonathan
    Denver, CO

15. brettgagnon

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    Thanks Jonathon, some great advice there.

Will keep digging and planning, once I decide I will start a thread and post pictures and updates as we motor along.

16. msouza

msouza Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Milton Souza
    Brett,

If you decide to take the I-70 route thru Colorado's Vail pass, send me a PM, and we will have lunch.

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow. I disagree completely. The 308 has been a great road trip car for me and fits like a glove, no issues at all with long stints at the wheel and the car actually rides and tracks very well. It's possible a carb car might have a few issues with really hot weather but I drove mine across the southern US at this time last year without a single problem. I love all these recent road trip threads! Make sure the car is ready for the trip and you will have a great time.

18. brettgagnon

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    any suggested "road trip kit" I should make sure we have with us?

For example:
    Oil for top up
    Water for coolant

19. marlon308

marlon308 Karting

Sep 4, 2009
    NL
    Full Name:
    M.E. van der Meer

Well I have to disagree as well. In 2007 I did Amsterdam(The Netherlands) to Trondheim (Norway), all kind of roads, temperatures and weather conditions. My 308 (a '76 fiberglass)was very comfy and reliable. No problems at all, while other cars joining me, mainly manufactured near Stuttgart gave trouble after trouble. Have fun driving to Vegas and I hope you post some pics.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Good luck but it's going to be a very toasty trip. It's 110 already in Vegas and most of the midwest isn't going to be much better.

My suggestion... water and one of those cell phone battery boosters.

21. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Spare Alt and ac belt
    Small tool kit
    Ideas of some trusted agent repair shops on the way
    Big drink for vegas heat, 111 tomorrow!

22. brettgagnon

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    Known must haves:
    A/C Belt
    Alternator Belt
    Water
    Tool Kit

Maybes?
    Oil?

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re known "must haves"... The only reason to carry spare parts is if you have the tools and are prepared to actually change them should the need arise. Are you really going to be able/willing to do such repairs on the side of the road? Other than fuses and a spare tire I don't see much else to carry.

24. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Fantastic thread! I love Ferrari road trips!!

25. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think I know a thing or two about road trips. Only must have is a AAA and Credit Card. You will have no room for much other than minimal luggage for two people. Chiropractor references is not unreasonable. You will get pounded on a trip that far. Roads aren't smooth. Don't plan on large daily mileages.

Not understanding how a previous poster thinks you will run lean at high altitude??? My experience is that you will be rich in the thin air.

For my resume check this out: One reason I went with FI car (from 0 to 7700 feet along the way) http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65329