Ouch! Somehow cracked a wheel. | FerrariChat

Ouch! Somehow cracked a wheel.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Impounder, Jul 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    #1 Impounder, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't know how but I cracked my drivers side front HRE wheel. Has anybody had any issues with these wheels cracking? I know for sure I didn't hit anything hard. Tried to contact HRE but they are to busy to respond so I took it to a local company that supposedly does great wheel repair. I'll know by tomorrow if they are as good as I hope they are.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    low profile tires + crappy CA roads = bent wheels.

I had the same problem on my 911; switched from 19s to 18s.

btw I don't know if I'd trust a wheel that had been cracked and repaired; certainly not under hard driving (high speed, track or canyons, etc)

3. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Its a multi piece wheel, so the integrity should still be fine. The rim half can just be replaced, its a simple procedure.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    IP- They will have more time for you when you tell them you want to buy a new rim only for your multi-piece wheel. That rim cracked from hoop strain, and I would want a new one for a Ferrari.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. Driftracer3

Driftracer3 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Only problem is that style isnt made anymore, so it would be a no go. New set or rim half replacement.

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I had a similar crack and was advised that a new wheel was the only option if I wanted to drive my car in the manner that it was intended with the peace of mind that the wheel would not fail. I bought a new wheel.

7. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Have You tried e-bay & Craigs list? yet! ;)

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would think HRE could help with the spun hoop, it's the center castings they change from year to year????

9. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    #9 Impounder, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    Actually I just got off the phone with HRE, the guy was great and said they would be able to replace the inner piece and if I am lucky they may even warranty it for me. Their factory is only 45 minutes south of me. So if this weld doesn't hold, which he told me most likely it won't, then I will take it down there.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    IP- That crack is in too high a stress area for a weld to be completely safe. Likely to be dangerous driving it. Why not just put it in one of your other vehicles and drag it down to HRE? The gods are watching over you by having HRE so close. No sense tempting fate.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    ^^ what Taz said. Get it exchanged.

This is one of the reasons why I am not running large rim sizes anymore - I drive in Belgium on a regular basis and the wheels can't take it :D