Driven: the MP4-12C | FerrariChat

Driven: the MP4-12C

Discussion in 'British' started by Pav, Aug 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Had the opportunity to get myself behind the wheel of this amazing automobile thanks to the Swiss brand manager of McLaren.

I'm going to get to essentials about the vehicle and the general feeling this car gives to the driver, so don't expect a long story.

For a start, I can tell you that, because of its versatility, the car has no match in its price range, and probably as a whole, the MP4 is something completely new when it comes to sport GTs, even supercars.

Desgin
    It does look good in flesh, much better than in pictures, the rear of the car is kind of special, but as a whole the lines have a certain harmony that is very different from what the competition has to offer. That means, a signature design, like Lambo has, or like the SLS has. And the MP4 looks mean with the doors up.

Disappointment for me is the automatic door system: there are no doorhandles, you have to pass your fingers under the louver in the door to get it open. I had the habit to pass my hand really touching the door - which didn't make it happen, and couldn't get used to the fact that you don't need to touch the door "properly" to open the car.

Interior
    Amazing. There is more room than in a 458, I'm 6ftsomething (191cms) and I fit perfectly in the vehicle. Feels spacious, and well finished.

The disappointment: power buttons for the driver's seat are located on the right hand side of the seating, in front of it, not on the side. Quite disturbing BUT the seating position and the comfort of those seats compensate everything. I don't know how McLaren managed this but although the seats look raw, seating is similar to a 911 997 when it comes to comfort.

Driven
    In the city, it's a charm, all auto both manettinos (handling and engine) on normal mode, it's really effortless, and comfortable. Speed bumps are a joke to pass, feels better than in a regular car, think VW Jetta.

I'll explain the manettinos
    3 positions for the engine: normal / sport / track-race
    In the normal mode, the car feels and accelerates similarly to a 997.1 turbo with automatic, it's very fast, very nice, once only the automatic double clutch gearbox didn't understand what was going on which is really nothing compared to PDK, or DSG gearboxes. The engine makes a very nice noise but nothing more.
    In the sportmode, it's probably similar to... GTR mk2(?) and SLS AMG. Fast, terribly fast.
    In the track mode, it's a devil on wheels, so so quick on the 40-200kph that probably no other GT could match the MP4 on small backroads. You just smile too fast when in full throttle. A friend's feedback was that it feels faster than the Veyron on the intermediate 2 and 3rd gear full throttle. The noise is amazing, the exhaust stays open all the time. It's not a Ferrari V8 but the turbocharged WRAAAAAAAAAAP is so so so amazing, so different, less raw than the Ferrari V8, but also less tacky.

For the handling, the feedback you have on the front wheels is insanely precise. In the normal mode, the only issue is the feeling of everything else than the front is a tad too neutral, you just don't feel how fast you can go with the electronic aides on.

It feels you can go very far with the car with the precision of a razorblade. I had the feeling I was at 25% of its abilities.

Paddles are probably necessary for a track use, and if you are to drive fast with the normal setup on both manettinos. On the other side in the track-race mode the auto gearbox is probably faster than you are.

As a conclusion I can tell you that this is NOT a Ferrari, it doesn't feel like a Ferrari, it doesn't sound like a Ferrari, it doesn't give you this stupid smile when you revv up the engine, it's not a bloody dolce vita but it is so versatile that it can be a SLS, GT-R, 997 turbo, Audi R8 in one - and do the job better than them. And I guess - faster than a 458 italia, in a totally different style, that can also make you smile behind the wheel.

2. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks for the write up Michal

Slightly off topic, but your signature. I'm guessing that's from a song am I right? I saw the video years ago while bored staying in the Kosmos hotel. I sadly never caught the title or artist but remember it as a fun song, do you think you could remind me of the name? Thanks a lot!

3. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Realised the post above is kinda messy. I still hope you got the general idea out of it. I'll upload some pictures soon. I am surprised there isn't more talk about the MP4 on the boards ;)

the song: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFURc_YkJjk&feature=related[/ame]

4. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    nice write up.

5. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks again Michal

6. Falb

Falb Karting

Mar 14, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Rav, Thanks for the write-up. Well done and objective, appreciate your thoughts.

As a 12C buyer and non-tifosi, it is much more productive to discuss this car someplace other than f-chat. Initially, this was the best source of information but as you can imagine a bespoke McLaren site is now well followed. Also, I believe McLaren simply refers to manettinos as switches. :)