Any Delorean owners? | FerrariChat

Any Delorean owners?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 355dreamer, Oct 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I know, I'm crazy but I really, really want a delorean. I know there slow, odd and generally under appreciated, but I think those things are part of why I want one. Personally, I think they are icons, not only from a historical perspective (John Delorean was quite the legend) but also from a design perspective (lotus chassis, Guguario design)

Anyway, if anyone here owns one, I'd love to hear your thoughts. (yes, I know they're slow)

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 Michael B, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think your nuts, but my Son has an appreciation for them. He took these photos at a Survivor Car Show Series event this summer. This car was from the Chicago Illinois connection to the manufacturers that remake the DMC out of parts (that is if someone wants a new one for sixty grand). This particular car was a low mile survivor and was a sight to behold. I think he said thirty thousand would have bought it. I also have an acquaintance that has not one - but two of these. One is in terrible shape and is rarely driven (sat outside a repair facility for 7 years.. untouched), the other is just a shell that I doubt will ever be assembled.

But, I admire your enthusiasm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is there an upgrade/engine swap to make them a) less slow and b) more reliable?

supercharged GM 3800, perhaps?

4. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    That's a beautiful example.

I have found that real money these days is low 20s for a great example, and mid to high teen for a good one.

Come on! I thought you at least would appreciate the irony of these cars! No need for a swap. A turbo maybe...:)

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think it's a cool car, and I get the ironic 80's cheesiness, but I just couldn't drive anything that slow. or unreliable.

7. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Are they that unreliable? I drive a Ferrari for god sakes! Can it get any worse? ;)

Anyone with first hand experience?

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they were built in Ireland, for cryin' out loud! of course they're unreliable!

:p

9. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I'm going to look at a local car this weekend and will likely make an offer. :)

Now, I just need to figure out how to tell my wife that our 2 car garage might be taken over by two of my toys and her Lexus will have to sleep outside with the Murder Wagon.

I need a lift....

How's that for impulsive!? :D

10. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    I live by the factory, should I stop by and say hi on the way home tomorrow?

You can now either get them to restore an original car to original condition with factory parts, or buy a brand new one. To be honest, I've always lusted after one too for its historical and cultural heritage and contributions to pop culture, but unfortunately they are just too darn ugly even for a fan like me.. ;)

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Right. This isn't a problem, it's a prime opportunity to improve your car storage systems.

12. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    L.C.,
    I own a 1982 DeLorean. I love the design and it's a pretty smooth ride,lots of leg room as John DeLorean was 6'4. Parts and upgrades are very easy to get,besides DMC Houston there are a bunch of other vendors out there reproducing parts. DMC Houston is like Ricambi,they get the parts out fast,and hardly ever make a mistake.
    That said,they are VERY quirky cars,and a NIGHTMARE to work on.I find my 308 is a very well built,thought out designed car,where the DeLorean is more of a mix thrown together with a touch of British electronics.For instance,just to get to the dist cap,you have to remove half of the top end of the motor.Again,think 80's British cars,if you have experience with 80's Lotus Esprits it will help.
    But,at the end of the day,I LOVE it.It's an iconic car from the 80's,a piece of history.I think it's an awesome design,and the stainless sets it apart from anything else.Sitting next to todays cars,it still looks futuristic,it was way ahead of it's time.
    If you're serious about buying one,feel free to ask me about any concerns you may have and what to look for.

13. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    UGLY?!!?? No way. Is the Pantera or Countach ugly? Same designer...

I need a single post lift, and to install one, I need to contact my builder to find out the specs of my garage concrete.

Thanks! I'd love to see pictures of yours.

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I've always loved the design but not sure I could handle all of the back to the future comments. I would definitely do a drivetrain swap.

Same thing with a 58 Fury. Love the car but would probably hear "Christine" 100 times for every time I drove it.

Wouldn't stop me from buying either one but one more thing to consider.

15. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Is that a trick question? :D

I am more of a Miura girl.

You mean, there is another reason to buy one?!

All joking aside, I do want one. I called DMC a couple of weeks ago, they are open during the week until 5 and I drive past them every single day but haven't been leaving work early enough to stop by. Maybe this thread would be the needed motivation..

16. manta147

manta147 Karting

Sep 7, 2006
    seekonk,mass
    Full Name:
    carter petter
    Well yes,the Back to the Future comments are just as annoying as the "Hey Magnum" comments I get with the 308. I always get the " Where's the flux capacitor?" question and "Did you find any cocaine in it?". I realize the cars are famous from tv/movies but it does get old. What I get a kick out of is each time someone says it,they act like they're the first ones to come up with it lol

17. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Actually, the Countach was designed by Gandini while at Bertone, the Pantera was designed by Tom Tjaarda at Ghia, the Delorean was designed by Giugiaro at Ital Design.
    Gandini did do a facelift on the Pantera called the 90si in 1990.

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where else would you find a thread titled...

Awesome!

For the record, I'd love to have one but only after I get a F car or three.

My oldest son's initials are DMC...coincidence...I swear. :eek: ;)

19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #19 4re Nut, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    1.21 Gigawatts!!!!

22. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    THIS: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8d48RYgBo[/ame]

More reliable? Well, that part may be a small stretch...

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I find it cruel and ironic that they chose the Delorean to be the time travel machine in Back to the Future which requires faster than light speed.
    Perhaps someone in Hollywodd has a sense of humor.

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well, it was 1985...

In addition:

25. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    as a Volvo. They were already using the same engine in the 262, 264 and 265 (world's first $10k station wagon according to Road & Track magazine). Oh well! Hi Dave, Wade.

KevFla