Anyone going to the Amelia Island Concours this year? | FerrariChat

Anyone going to the Amelia Island Concours this year?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by nathandarby67, Jan 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have never been to this event, but we are planning on making the trip this year. I would also like to attend one or more of the auctions that are held over the weekend. I'd love to hear any tips, restaurant recommendations, places to avoid, etc from local folks or people who have attended before.

2. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    First trip for me as well.

Looking forward to everyone's responses.

Cheers

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I think I may try and go as well for the first time.

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I'm thinking about going since I hope there will be several GTO's on the lawn. I missed Cavallino this yr and, of course, there were 5 GTO's.

5. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've got media passes for Amelia, so hopefully I can squeeze it into my schedule.

6. FLGT

FLGT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 16, 2008
    It's an amazing Concours - one of the top 2 in the nation (with Pebble). Will be lots of 250GTOs there too ! I will be there with some vintage Caddies.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I'm planning on it.

8. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Just made my plane reservatios. First time also to this event then over to Daytona Bike week, two extremes.

9. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Oh Wow, I only live 2 hours away!

I've never been to a Concours, but I have really wanted to go to one for a very long time.

What types of cars would be expected to show up besides the special classics? I would be going as spectator only...

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Ha....so far looks like a lot of FChat Amelia Virgins will be on hand. We should definitely plan at least one FChat get-together over breakfast/lunch/dinner/drinks/or some combination thereof.

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Really want to make it this year. Didn't get to it last year so we shall see. Would be cool to have a lunch or something.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I have been the last 7 years. I have also been to Pebble Beach.

Pebble is spectacular.

But if you live on the east coast, going to Cavallino, and Amelia, are not only cheaper, but more rewarding.

Amelia is wonderful, it is casual, but it, as is Cavallino, is of international importance. Amelia will attract Pebble winners.

Cheapest hotels are near the Jacksonville airport, about 40 minutes to the event. Get there early, like at 8 AM. Parking is either in remote shuttle accessable lots, or on the street near the show. Be prepared to walk.

The show opens at 9 AM or 10 AM, and there will be a long line of people waiting to buy tickets. So buy your ticket in advance.

Experience Amelia, you will not regret your trip.

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I went a couple of years ago and had a great time. There were so many unique cars. By far one of the best shows I've attended.

I'd be down for an F-Chat get together if I go. Unfortunately, things are up in the air until it gets closer to the date because of school AND work. As of now, the plan is to drive up to Jax to spend the night w/some friends from college and head north to Amelia Island the following day.

14. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    This will be my fourth year in a row and my suggestions are as follows.

1) Go to both auctions.

2) Go to any celebrity talks that interest you.

3) Get to the Ritz early enough on Friday or Saturday to drive the latest Mercedes, Porsches, Jags, and any other manufacturer that is giving free demo rides. I've driven a few Porches, several Mercedes including the SLR and most fun of all, the Tesla two years ago. Your factory rep will let you drive really fast but the cops figure that out pretty quick and they will write you.

4) Be at the concours early enough to watch the field enter the course, it's an epic parade.

5) Let's have an F-chat get together.

6) Great dinners can be had in beautiful historic Fernandina Beach.

7) Spend some time on the beach hunting for fossil shark teeth, they are quite plentiful in the area and fun to find.

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Excellent info Brian....many thanks!

1) By both auctions, you mean Gooding and RM? From what I can find on line it looks like those are the two "big ones". Are there by chance any other smaller auctions?

2) The "Ferrari vs Cobra" panel discussion looks good.

3) Now THIS sounds right up my alley! Are there tickets or anything required for this, or do you just show up? What time would you suggest getting there?

4) I also don't want to miss this. About what time should I get there for the entrance?

5) Yes definitely, we should plan something. Some of you more local folks who know the area better just decide on the best time and place and let us know. I am down for whatever.

6) Yum

7) Cool tip....we will have to do that.

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Is that area generally safe?

Is there any possibility at this point of finding anything on the island itself, or has it all been booked since about 2009? :)

17. Brian Elliston

Brian Elliston F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Brian Elliston
    1) Yep

2)Yep, probably mandatory.

3)Just show up, pretty women will take down your info, put you in a $100k plus car for a nice drive and then give you a gift for doing it.

4)I forget, about an hour or so before the gates open, it's not an official parade but it is fun to hear them all.

5) I'm down for whatever as well.

18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I will be there.

Among the Ferraris which will be in the Concours are:

375 America Coupé Vignale #0337 AL, yellow with cream roof. Painstakingly restored in Switzerland 2009, FCA Annual, Milwaukee Masterpiece and Pebble Beach winner.

250 GT Coupé Pinin Farina Speciale ex-Prince Bertil of Sweden, #0853 GT, lightblue/tan. Restored by Mark Allin of Rare Drive, Inc., shown at Cavallino and Pebble Beach.

Marcel Massini

19. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    Cars drive in at the service road entrance to the left of the hotel's front door and I try to go just around daybreak. The long people line is from the wait to get in for the 9:30 open at the main gate or the same service road entrance.

There is no parking on-site unless you are a hotel guest or in the concours. There is free roadside parking on the roads approaching the show and a $20 lot at the first right turn south of the hotel drive...its on the driving range and a short walk to the show.

The food tent is so-so. I bring some snacks and take a break in the hotel bar.

Fernandina has some good restaurants. Make reservations.

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Very safe, and lots of restaurants. Google hotels on the island.

21. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    If you're going, I'm bringing bear mace. :p :D

22. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I feel like a total retard. I booked a trip to L.A. for March 7-11. I completely forgot about this event. I'm so annoyed with myself. I guess I won't be there this year! :rolleyes: