For Sale: 1993 Ferrari 348tb Series Speciale Challenge Race Car | FerrariChat

For Sale: 1993 Ferrari 348tb Series Speciale Challenge Race Car

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Interian, Mar 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    #1 Interian, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Car is listed on FerrariAds.com.

1993 Ferrari 348tb Series Speciale Challenge Race Car
    Serial # 94502
    Number 37 of 100

You are looking at the most original and complete numbers matching 348 Challenge race car in existence. This 348 Challenge is one of the last in a long line of Ferrari GT cars that you could race and drive home at the end of the day. The car is titled for the street; and as a documented Challenge car, this car is eligible to race in Ferrari Car Club of America (FCA) Historic Challenge Races and the Ferrari Club Racing Championship Series.

The car has a clean CarFax, Autocheck and race history. I have owned this car for several years and it has always been garaged kept. Currently the car has approximately 42,000 documented miles, an average of about 2,000 miles per year.
    The car's most recent engine out major was complete in October of 2011 less than 500 miles ago. The car comes complete with all the original Series Speciale and Challenge parts together with all the maintenance records dating back to 1993. Maintenance records have been scanned and are available for review by serious buyers. Please note that the records total over 28MB of information.

This car was originally sold and converted to a 348 Challenge car by Shelton Ferrari in 1993. It was later raced in the 1996 Ferrari Challenge series group B (348 group) by Neal Heffron as car number 64 for Gaston Andrey Ferrari. The car was raced at a total of 4 (Texas, Lime Rock, Moroso and Montreal) events and comes with complete documentation including time sheets and professional photos documenting its race history. The documentation also proves that the car was never involved in any race incidents.

To convert the car to a Challenge car, Shelton Ferrari removed the Series Speciale black leather carbon fiber seats, seat belts, computer chips, A/C belt, power radio antenna, interior rugs and the black leather trim that runs along the back of the passenger compartment. Shelton Ferrari then installed the Challenge package which included the Challenge race seats, exhaust, roll cage, pedals, computer chips, tow hooks, fire extinguisher, 6 point harness, fog light covers, battery kill switches, Challenge rear deck badge and Challenge steering wheel. In 1994 and 1995, 348 Challenge cars raced on stock 348 wheels, but in 1996, with the introduction of the 355 into the series, the 348s were allowed to use the Speedline Challenge wheels. So, since this car only raced in 1996, Speedline Challenge wheels are included with this car.

Today the car sits as a race car you can drive around town and to the track. It is titled and tagged to run on the street. It sits with the challenge package installed minus the front half of the roll cage for easier ingress. The complete bolt-in roll cage, including the 1996 roll cage update, is included with the car. The A/C belt of the car has been reinstalled and the A/C system has been updated to 134a. This is a very important update if you plan to use the A/C and if the A/C ever needs to be serviced. The car is mechanically excellent. Everything works as it should and there are no fluid leaks. All lights, the tachometer, speedometer, clock, radio and A/C are working correctly.

The car has been properly maintained its entire life as documented by the service records. It has had several engine out major services with the most recent engine out major service completed in October, 2011. The most recent service included new seals, gaskets, timing belt, tensioners, valve adjustment, rebuilt water pump and upgrade to IX Iridium spark plugs. Only top of the line Redline racing fluids have been used in the transmission and engine since I have owned the car.

The car does have some relatively minor cosmetic issues. As with any car this age, the car has had cosmetic paint work at times. The hood, bumper and the mirrors on the back side show some stone chips and the windshield shows the usual pitting. In addition, the driver side taillight has a small circle where the brake light bulb sits from the heat of the light bulb.

The interior of the car is also in excellent condition. All sticky parts have been addressed by Stickynomore.com. The slow window issue has also been addressed. The Challenge seats have been professionally recovered with a black material that is much more durable than the original thin red material that deteriorated over time. The door panels do have a couple of scratches and a small indentation where the roll cage sits when it's in the car.

The car has a basic Sony CD/Radio. This car has never had any alarms or radio upgrades. This is an important point with 348s because of their limited electrical system and additionally important with Challenge cars that ran the smaller alternator choice.

This car needs nothing to get in and go. Brake rotors, pads and tires are all in excellent condition. I also added a Momo D shape steering wheel with a 50MM extension for easier ingress and digress. I also commissioned the remaking of all the standard Challenge decals in vinyl. The lower portion decals are currently on the car and can be removed if desired. The upper portion decals were place on magnetic backing and can be placed and removed on car as desired.

Car comes complete with:

The following 348 Challenge items:
    • Seats recovered in black
    • Speedline wheels in white
    • Steering wheel
    • Exhaust
    • Pedals
    • Tow hooks
    • Battery cut-offs
    • Computer chips
    • 4 and 6 point harnesses
    • Brake ducts including rear underbody panel
    • Fire extinguisher
    • Fog light covers
    • Full Roll cage with 1996 update
    • Window net
    • Copy of 1996 rule book
    • Copy of Challenge parts manual
    • 50 professional digital race pictures
    • Copy of all time sheets and race results
    • Ferrari Challenge pit sign

The following Series Speciale items:
    • Set of Series Speciale carbon fiber seats finished in black leather
    • Rear carpeting that is currently not in car
    • Original floor mats
    • Rear leather trim
    • Ccomplete set of seat belts
    • Ppower radio antenna
    • Front spoiler
    • Rear open lights
    • Exhaust
    • Computer chips
    • Badge on radio cover
    • Stock wheels
    • Painted lower body

Binder with all maintenance records
    Pdf with workshop manual and parts manual
    2 Ferrari original folding keys
    2 aftermarket keys
    Complete tool kit with SS computer chips inside
    Ferrari manuals in leather case

Once you take inventory of all the original items that come with this car, you will agree that there is not a more complete example remaining in existence. The car is located in Miami, Florida and is available to inspect. I will assist any serious buyer with completing a pre-purchase inspection at the buyer's cost. There are many competent Ferrari mechanics in South Florida to chose from. Buyer is responsible for shipping.

More pictures are at:
    http://photobucket.com/F348_SS_CH
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That looks great. If I were in the market, I would consider it.

3. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Gorgeous car!

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Having owned two 348 Challenge race cars (094285 & 098791) I can say that this is a nice one, and the seller is a good guy- hope it goes to a good home.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Just Beautiful, and you are an excellent photographer! These pictures make me fall in love with the 348 all over again.....

6. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Good luck with the sale. Nice car and big marketing campaign prior to listing. Luv the pic on the track. If the future buyer decides that he doesn't want those awful cf Challenge seats, let me know. ;)

7. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    How much??

My favorote color!!!!

9. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Car is listed in FerrariAds for $55,000 including all the extras listed.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I found it let me run to the Bank and discuss it with them.....

"Clean used car, only driven on Sundays"......:D :D

I'll report back what they say!!!!

I really like your work on the interior, that OEM red fabric lasts about 15 minutes, in use.....

11. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I have one of the used red covers in the box and you are being generous at 15 mins. It is so thin and flimsy. I guess it was a good way to sell you a cover every race.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It really causes problems, for the long term F40 owner.

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Actually on the f40 the fabric lasts well. It's the padding underneath that breaks down. After a few thousand miles you're sitting right on the carbon fiber, just about.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good point...

15. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Interior looks great.

I'd love those SS seats if they get separated from the car. Would look good in the 40.

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Beautiful car, beautifully presented. I wasn't in the market for a 348 Challenge, but when I look at your photos ....

This is how one sells a car.

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    This is a nice looking 348. I have seen it in person myself. Folks it won't last long.

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hey, man...don't be lusting after my seats...:D

Bank window was closed tho........:(

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is top of the crop, fo' sure!!

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    That is really good looking. Cant do it just yet but definitely noted if it comes up again down the road.

21. TxEddie1111

TxEddie1111 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2011

^ what he said ^

22. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Beautiful car. This is a car with a soul that is dying to be adopted and let loose in the CCR Championship this year. I hope we see it out this year.

23. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 I never understood why someone selling a high end car would take what are essentially cell phone shots of their car for the ad.

24. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I agree and I always thought that providing such poor information led to people either ignoring your ad or making low-ball offers. Well let me tell you that posting complete information and pictures does not stop low ball offers. . . .

25. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    This really IS a nice car- someone should ante up and buy it.