IF I DID IT AGAIN | FerrariChat

IF I DID IT AGAIN

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by LARRYH, Apr 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    With all the inquiries from potential buyers of new cali's I thought I would start this thread of the one or two items I did not think i would want but wish I added to my car.
    In my case I wish i added the rear back up camera and CF drivers zone . I have had my car 8 months and drive it everyday THese are the two items I would add if I ordered again. Hope it helps someone.. THe camera is the single item I wish . It has all the standard options (listed for around 240 new)
    Larry

2. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Amen to that. I don't even have my car yet and I already regret not adding the CF driver zone. I hemmed and hawed and by the time I had to finalize the order, I just omitted it. Didn't think it was worth it at the time...

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Cruise control and backup camera, in that order of priority. But they should be standard. Memory seats should also be std., since unlike other Ferraris, Californias tend to be driven by more than one person (by my wife as well as me, for instance).

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Darryl, easy fix for the seats is Celeste gets her own Cali!

Keith

5. mlad1101

mlad1101 Rookie

Jan 20, 2012
    I got CF on almost everything possible, but I too wish I had gotten the camera. I have the sensors but camera would be much more useful.

6. ultracar

ultracar Karting

Oct 24, 2011
    For me reverse camera was a must so got that and find it really useful..

- However I wish I got the CF upper zone - as I really don't like the silver/plastic look of the stereo surround.

7. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Your dealer can install a backup camera. I am getting that put in next week. Same with most of the CF. The price is not far from the original option cost, and you can pick and choose on the CF pieces.

8. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    I am surprised so many people miss the camera. It was such an expensive option and most cars more than 5 or 8 years ago never even had backup sensors, much less the camera. I guess only time will tell if I miss it...

9. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I was really unimpressed at first with the camera and opted out, but now I guess I miss it. Compared to the BMW camera it was (is) a joke. The BMW camera makes you feel like you are in the cockpit of an F22 - grid lines, turn radius angles, center point marks, cross hatch markings in different colors. I think my 6 year old could park that car :)

10. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    good to know there is the option to add later if I can't live without it!

11. jasonrhcastle

jasonrhcastle Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    My california camera has grids...

J

12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    The backup camera is really a good one. A couple years ago most everyone on the California threads was saying don't get it ... I got it and it is perfect and I am very happy to get it.

My mandatory list includes:

1. Magneride
    2. Cruise Control
    3. Camera and sensors
    4. Carbon driver's zone with LED steering wheel
    5. Stitched Cavallinos :D
    +++++

You can pretty quickly get $50K in options without getting heavy into carbon ... I know as my 2012 has about that much in options.

13. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Mine too...

Question though.

With the CF race seats, can you get them in the same leather pattern as the 458? You know, instead of one big swath of leather?

Thanks!

J

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I am going to check with My dealer, anybody have a dealer installed camera in their car?

15. mlad1101

mlad1101 Rookie

Jan 20, 2012
    #15 mlad1101, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    Agreed, I have ~$70k($22k in carbon) in options and don't even have everything I want in hindsight.

16. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    My guess is that the "dealer installed camera" is a custom device that mounts to the license plate frame...I could be wrong though.

17. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My mandatory list:

Carbon fibre vents and sat Nav surround ( is that described as CF Driver zone?) the entire interior and gets rid of the silver plastic which cheapens the interior
    Carbon fibre wheel with LED's and paddles
    Leather A pillars
    Magnaride
    front and rear sensors or camera

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  19. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I don't have it and wish I did. It's just hard to back up without itl its verynhard to just use the mirrors and the tail is quite big and high. CF driver zone is great. I'm also a huge fan of the aluminum foot rests and as Rick said...I wish I had stitched cavallinos. Next time.

The leather headliner isn't a must but it's mice to have. Options can get high fast. I bought my Cali used but the original tear sheet has 50kish worth of options and no rear camera.

20. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    I think I would trim a few things...losing cruise (I never go on an interstate where I am), ipod, the moving headlights, the color matching console and the foot rest thingies. But, I would definitely add back-up camera and front sensors...two years later I'm still surprised how I underestimate the length of the front overhang. Oh, and I love my vintage grille!

21. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Yeah the GTO grill is a must and very expensive to have installed by dealer afterwords. I have first hand knowledge of that :) But still love it.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You have the Vintage grill or GTO grill? If the latter, post some pics? I'd love to see it on an actual car (there are pics in the factory brochure, but there're not like the real thing).

23. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    I thought the "vintage" grill was the GTO grill, now I am befuddled. i thought the GTO grill was a replica of the 250 grill.

24. jasonrhcastle

Aug 27, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Jason RH Castle
    Me and you both... Me and you both...

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The GTO grill I'm referring to resembles the mesh one on the 599 GTO.