Another Case of Dissolving Rubber in the 550 Gas Tank | FerrariChat

Another Case of Dissolving Rubber in the 550 Gas Tank

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by strongx, Aug 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    #1 strongx, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After a couple of cases of losing power at high rpm in my new 550 Barchetta I theorized I had the not uncommon case of deteriorating rubber bits clogging the fuel pumps. Sure enough, removing the fuel filters showed very small pieces of black stuff on the inlet side. Fortunately the filters were working and the gas was perfectly clean on the outlet side.

It’s quite easy to take off the trunk carpet and the shield over the gas tank but it’s nice to have an impact driver because there are a lot of fasteners. Then I was faced with unscrewing the rings that retain the fuel pump caps. I was going to get a spanner wrench, but no one had them in stock, so I got busy and in twenty minutes I’d made one. I simply drilled and tapped an aluminum bar (½” x ¾”). The rings holes are on a circle with a diameter of 116mm. I screwed in some 6mm bolts, 70mm long and put nuts on them to make them extra secure. Then I cut the heads off with a cut-off wheel in a die grinder.

With the newly-made tool the rings unscrewed easily. But it wasn’t so easy to pull the caps out as they were pretty well stuck and I was aware that they are expensive and maybe not even available and I didn’t want to crack one. I used the bracket that holds the two gas lines and held it loosely on with the nut. This gave me a place to grip and I pulled moderately for half a minute or so and then they came out.

I had let the car get well into reserve to use up most of the gas, but I still siphoned over 6 gallons out. It’s tricky to pull the fuel pump assembly out – you really have to get everything lined up and squish the plastic can one way or another. Once they were out I looked for the anti-vibration plate that goes under the assembly. It was nowhere to be seen until I realized that a couple of small pieces on the bottom were all that was left. Amazing! At least, other than these few bits, the gas tank was very clean and shiny

Taking the fuel pump assembly apart the rubber gasket thing that holds the pump was incredibly deteriorated. One of the pumps had a nice chunk near the inlet that was probably the culprit and had slowed the flow under certain circumstances. I’m lucky my pumps hadn’t totally been toast. I think, before putting them back in, I’ll run them out of the car to make sure they seem fine. If you undertake any of this you should have a fire extinguisher at the ready, as it would be embarrassing to burn up your Ferrari while also burning down your house.

My car only had 6,000 miles on it and reports suggest this problem is more likely if seldom-driven. One would hope that materials had been changed so that this wouldn’t happen again, but I highly doubt it. So I plan on checking things in 5 or 6 years. Who knows then if parts will even be available, but I imagine I could make some if needed. In contrast to the rubber parts, the fuel line o-rings and green seals under the caps looked brand new. I’m replacing them anyway (even though they’re the world’s most expensive little seals) because it’s silly to risk a leak and have to tear it down again.

These kinds of Ferrari quirks are quite amusing to my friends. They ask what I did over the weekend and I reply “Took my gas tank apart to fix some rubber pieces that were falling apart. They wryly say “But isn’t that the car you just got and it had such low mileage?” “Yes,” I say, “but you put up with things in a Ferrari that you wouldn’t in a Hyundai.” They wander off, not feeling so bad that they don’t own one. But then, when that engine starts…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Nice work! I am looking to do this on my 456 one day as well, I am pretty sure they won't be in better shape. Are you going to use parts from Ferrari or the Alfa 164?

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    My F40 was even worse when we Re-commissioned it after it being in storage. The modern fuel with ethanol does not store well and destroys the rubber parts.

4. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I just ordered the parts from my Ferrari dealer and they should be in this week. I was a little worried because past threads on the subject and my dealer indicated that in the past some of the parts have not been readily available. But it looks like everything is in stock. So you might want to tackle it sooner rather than later. Besides parts availability, the sooner you do it the better it is for your pumps - my dealer said they've had this issue with several cars and sometimes the pumps also had to be replaced.

It's not hard to check if you have the problem. I followed the advice of several others on the forum. Take a rear wheel off and remove the forward plastic wheel well shield. The fuel filter is right there. Take it out and dump gas out of the inlet side. If it is a dark color and/or has small rubber bits in it you have no time to lose. If it's clear you don't have the problem.

5. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    Have you the n° parts for the Alfa 164 ?

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009

7. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    My 456M GT is with Brian Crall right now for this. I've been having misfires and have been playing with injector cleaning and replacement but am convinced I have junk and deterioration in the fuel system and Brian thinks it could be this.

I only drove a few hundred miles last year due to relocation and even though Stabil is used I've noticed it's been rougher running and just started throwing codes.

Damn corn politicians...

I'll keep you informed.

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    60572049 apparently. I bought them but haven't fitted them yet so cannot comment on fitment.

9. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
  10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#10 Cribbj, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Be careful if considering purchasing that gasket for a 550 application, as that Alfa P/N fits only the 456's fuel pump, not the 550's.

They are two completely different pumps with different technologies, diameters, etc. The 456 uses the "old" style roller cell technology as is used in the famous high output Bosch "044" pump, while the 550 pump is the newer turbine style.

Here's a couple of pics showing the difference in the pumps. From left to right are the Bosch "044" pump, the 456's pump, a BMW pump similar to the 456's, and the 550's pump.

Note all the pumps except the 550 are the older style roller cell technology, and look at the differences in their sizes.

Both the 550 turbine pump (Bosch P/N: 0 580 453 443) and the 456 pump (Bosch P/N: 0 580 464 990) are rated to flow 110 l/hr, but the 550 is rated to flow that much at 4.0 bar, while the 456 is only rated to flow that at 3.0 bar, meaning the 550 pump can probably well outflow the 456 pump at 3.0 bar.

It would be interesting to know if Alfa used a similar pump and gasket as the 550 in some of their later models.