Pierre Bardinon in memoriam | FerrariChat

Pierre Bardinon in memoriam

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Nembo1777, Aug 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Those who were a part of the Ferrari racing and collectors world early enough know how important his legacy and his collection were and still are.

I do not believe it can be argued that he was the most important Ferrari collector there ever was and -I feel- there ever will be.

I felt like a little priest visiting the Pope when he hosted me on May first 1998 yet he received me in the most gracious way.

My condeoleances to his wife Yann and his sons, one of whom I met at Le Mans Classic just weeks ago in early July.

I want to say very humbly that even though I met him just twice I was very much aware of his significance to the Ferrari passion and all those who knew him should share their experiences so that those who simply see Ferraris as assets or commodities can be made to sit back and understand there is more to it all than that and even more importantly so that enthusiasts may understand and enjoy what he stood for, who he was, posthumously.

Mes respects Monsieur et merci.

MS

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A very nice and respectful tribute, Marc.

3. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Couldn't agree more. I would have liked to have the pleasure of meeting him once.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What a life well lived.......R.I.P.

5. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I met him at his home in 1997. Was fortunate to have breakfast with Pierre and Jean Bajol in the kitchen of his grand estate. It was unforgettable. I had read all about Mas du Clos for many years in the English FOC periodicals and it was more impressive than I imagined. Aside from the Ferraris that have been well chronicled here I was shown an impressive collection of French automobiles. He was very much the ultimate car guy.

6. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    There was something pure about his passions. He was more than a gentleman. He carried himself in a style and grace that just fit the word ‘’legendary’’. Truly an inspiring man.

7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I am sad I never met the man and that I got into the Ferrari vintage passion too late. But his legacy was ringing loud and clear through the people that did have the privilege of sharing his passion.

His passing is a sad moment for us who understand the significance of vintage Ferraris, but we can honour him by carrying the baton, whether we are collectors, owners, or enthousiasts.

Onno

8. dinoSP

dinoSP Rookie

Jul 19, 2011
    I was so sad when i read the news yesterday, i'm a French collector and i remember reading an interview of Mr Bardinon in french magazine Sport-Auto in 2003 (i was only 14).
    I was very interested by this anticonformist character... And tried to have information on him and his car-life during last years...
    My aim was to meet him and his cars with a friend unfortunately the Mas Du Clos collection was closed to the public and he has become sick...

9. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    #9 etienne, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I totally agree, Marc. Très bel hommage...

Never met him, even when I get to the Mas du Clos with FCF few years ago...I thought of him recently when his son and grand-son were with 5573GT on the 50TH GTO Tour ..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I was fortunate enough to attend several events at Mas du Clos, to sell him a couple of cars, and most delightfully to have dinner and spend the night at Mas du Clos (with my pal Chuck Queener). I was also blessed to have dinner with Pierre and Yanne at their Paris home on the Rue de Rivoli. What charming, elegant and educated people! As we all know, Pierre was a hard-core enthusiast, with impeccable taste in cars as well as everything else that civilized people value. There have been many great Ferrari collections, but I think most of us agree that his was always at the top of the pile. He was a walking encyclopedia of things Ferrari, and although he led a very busy life he was never too busy to chat with a fellow enthusiast. Those of who had the good fortune to meet him can count our blessings.

11. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #11 Ed Niles, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #12 Nembo1777, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Etienne I had not realized that was Patrick, I spoke with him briefly in the pits at LMC on the Friday after their track session and to his brother in the Chapal stand the next day who both said their father was getting better...

Ed very nicely put and a rare photo of the man always discrete, I regret not doing an interview bio of him years ago.

I will share a few stories I have read or which he told me that blessed day of May 1st 1998 during that lunch with his wife and one of his sons but am not sure which one it was (and we certainly did not recognize each other 14 years later) but just a short one for now due to time constraints. As best I can recall here it is.

He said that one day in the very early years on his circuit he had planned to drive one of his front engined open Le Mans cars, don't recall which, so he started lapping and then as he approached the corner at the top of the main straight he had a sudden pain in his right ankle which caused him to miss his braking point and go off slightly into the grass doing a little light plowing with a rather expensive lawn mower.

It was a mouse in the footwell expressing its dissatisfaction with its teeth!

Interestingly he explained that he designed the circuit (or had it designed) so as to put the least possible strain on old drum brakes i.e. the uphill slope into turn one which is a faster curve than one would think, mind you I just did one lap in a Peugeot with one of his sons that day, period, so I can't judge!

Next I will tell the tale of the impromptu visit of F1 world champion Denny Hulme and of his record runs to Paris in his 250LM.

I hope others can share tales no matter how small.

best regards,

Marc

13. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    Yes, What a gentleman!

On this picture, you are talking with Pierre, his mechanical engineer, if I remember correctly.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While I never met him, I always felt he was one of the flag-bearers of the marque. The passion he showed for these cars is extraordinary, and, in another life, when I win the lottery, I would only hope that I could do half as much.

Merci, Monsieur Bardinon.

CW

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #15 Nembo1777, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Ah wonderful to see this thread begin to lift off:

I really don't think there will ever be anyone more significant in the process of collecting historic Ferraris, slightly more meaningful than analysing Pebble Beach prices.

As mentioned here is the tale he told me during that lunch May 1 1998 about Denny Hulme.

At some point in the 70's or early 80's there had been a discussion about a visit by Japanese TV and Denny Hulme (1967 F1 world champion).

Somehow this information/appointment had been lost/botched/forgotten/improperly announced.

It does not matter whose fault it was, put it down to culture shock.

The end result was that one day there was a ring on the intercom buzzer at the gate of the chateau in St Avit de Tardes.

The family on the inside was surprised. Those on the outside too.

Thankfully since those on the inside, particularly the man himself were equipped with the right mindset and feelings, i.e. were enthusiastic and positive, the gate was opened.

Pierre Bardinon and his family were, out of the blue, faced with a Japanese TV crew, a rather strong willed team leader/journalist lady and...a very different person; the laid back New Zealander who had been hired for the day's intended program: driving the 1962 Le Mans winning 330 TRI #0808 on camera for the show. No messing about, Japanese precision.

This was however as far from Tokyo as you could get.

The announcement of the vist had been truly botched so most collectors would have said sorry....no.

But PB was different, he was intrigued so they all had a big French lunch during which he let the Japanese lady convince him while DH watched in amazement. After lunch Hulme did get to drive the car on camera around the circuit and all were happy.

MS

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The Ferrari Market Letter just published a very fine obituary which subscribers will enjoy.

I would hope that other can contribute memories of him, I have more but feel awkward being the only one posting them since I only met him twice.

In any case: when he once bought two cars out of the US one was a derelict and one was in much better condition and he had the greatest difficutly explaining to customs that the derelict was more expensive than the other because it was a Le Mans winner! He was laughing in retrospect when telling that one!

He never ever visited the USA by the way.

One statement he made has been a great guideline to me and makes a lot of sense: he mentioned that cars should be compared like wines, that the sum of their ingredients gives them a persona, just like a wine in your palate reflects all that was put into its creation.
    This makes a lot more sense to me than numbers and statistics the endless analysis of which often seems sterile and obtuse.

Finally he mentioned that in his view when a GTO or any other model won a race all GTO's or all cars of that model won that race, that it validated them all, not just one hence the endless chassis number hairsplitting was in his view excessive and showed a lack of down to earth judgement.

MS

17. 375VignaleAmerica

Sep 11, 2012
    Dear Pierre,
    I am saddened with the news of you passing :( I have informed aunt Kathy who is also taking it with sadness.
    I was one of the lucky one's to have been able to see his private collection of cars. Free to roam and enjoy in Awhaaa! His collection was and is the "Best" of anything i have ever laid my eye's on.
    I was so fortunate to have met him. We met him back in the late 1980's when he wanted to purchase my aunt's "Steve Mcqueen" Ferrari 0301AL 1953 Vignale 375 America. Charles beat him to the punch, but asside from that i and my family will forever miss you.

Thanks for letting us enjoy the race track, the Collection Mas Du Clos, and Yanni you are the best buddy..

Valentino

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, Valentino!

And thank you so much, for your post here.....

Marc,
    There are several threads, perhaps submit a request to merge them all?
    I put up a wonderful photo I had found, but it must be in one of the others.

Again a warm welcome, to those joining us here for the first time in honor of this great gentleman.

19. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Marc,

He didn't come to the US, having received many invitations, because he was afraid to fly. He had many friends in the US and would have been treated as royalty.

CQ