Front Suspension Bushing Replacement (OE or Aftermarket?) | FerrariChat

Front Suspension Bushing Replacement (OE or Aftermarket?)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by lilviv, Sep 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    #1 lilviv, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Hey Everyone,

I've made a handful of posts on here, but I've been waiting to formally introduce myself until I have my car fully sorted. I'm nearing the 10 month mark right now. I'll tell my full story soon. Long story short, I overpaid for a car . . . and have spent 10 months and over $35,000 bringing the car back to the state it deserves to be in. This next repair blows me past the 6 figure investment in this car, but I very much want y'all's advice here at this stage (and, I did search previous threads without finding what I was looking for - including on that long one that turned into a discussion of spring rates and shock mounts):

I was putting new tires on it, and we noticed there was play in the left wheel . . . and, we saw a bushing that was blown out. I took the car to James Patterson @ Norwood Performance to give the front end a full review. All joints and everything for the most part look pretty good, however all four bushings on both sides pretty well need to be replaced. They look like the OEM ones from 1997 with most pretty catastrophically blown - particularly on the left side (driver's side).

Obviously, these parts are very expensive, and I don't mind spending the money here . . . hell, I'm in this far and might as well do it correctly. The job with replacing all 8 bushings (4 per side), the labor, and a 4-wheel alignment comes to around a $3K plus or minus job. Hopefully having all these new bushings will last quite a while going forward.

My question to you all is about aftermarket solutions like Energy Suspension bushings here. They are less expensive and would likely be tighter, but do they really wreck ride quality and take away from what you want out of a 550 - grand touring? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with these? Are they better than OEM ones, do they last longer? Do they perform better? Is the ride quality prohibitively degrading? Hypothetically, if a car is offered for resale - is having aftermarket suspension bushings a negative?

Any advice/feedback here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys.

2. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    livliv

I can't answer the OEM vs. aftermarket "upgrades" from personal experience, but a friend with an unrelated brand of sports car tried the aftermarket type and thought they were to stiff. He replaced them with OEM's.

I am not trying to spend your money for you, but I would vote for the OEM for a GT car. I think you would like the ride on tours better with the OEM.

Jerry
    DRG

3. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #3 166&456, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    $3k for 8 bushings?? I assume it's bushings no 3 and no 23 in the picture? I would go OEM style. Hard bushings have nothing to do on a streetcar. Superformance in the UK has bushings that are very good and well priced, look at the prices here: http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-v12m/suspension.htm. Sorry to say but it sounds like you're overpaying for your repairs too. I think a reasonable price for that work should be in the area of $1k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Let me clarify. The estimate is as follows:

$329.31 for a 4 Wheel Alignment.
    4 Pcs. of #169326 @ $280.6775 ea.
    4 Pcs. of #163038 @ $166.95 ea.

Then, the labor is 7 hours @ $108.00 ea. complete. After 6% shop fees ($45.86) and 8.25% for tax ($151.46), it comes to $3,072.64. Yes, it sounds steep - but sounds like mostly a parts job. :(

5. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #5 166&456, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Ouch those Ferrari flanblocs are expensive, apparently there is a huge Ferrari tax in the US. Maybe if your shop can get good aftermarket blocs then that could work, this is an area I would not be afraid of that, as long as they're not polyurethane or other very hard bushings for the same reason mentioned by Jerry.
    Those bushings do go, I needed new ones on the front of my GT, and the rears need doing as well someday. At such prices I won't be getting OEMs then. :)

6. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    It's hyper expensive, and I was hoping I would find a non-OEM solution that was just as good, but it doesn't look like I will. :(

As for the labor and the quote from the shop - I do trust James Patterson/Norwood Performance to be giving me a fair deal. They have a solid reputation, and he's just been an overall good guy to work with. I don't doubt that 7 hours is fair, for sure. Just a rough go at parts pricing . . .

7. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    The parts from the uk site are much cheaper, no?
    I would see if your shop can order you those and them mark them up as
    usual. The labor seems totally fair.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I as you OP had a similar experience and that from a car originally from a member via a dealer. I am not surprised.

However, I have gone the entire route and decided at this junction of the, now, 5year+ money hole, to NOT use OEM whenever possible as I'll just drive the sucker into the ground rather than add another flower to Enzo's grave site buying Ferrari branded junk.

You'll get much better parts than OEM and IF your mech will go there, then I highly recommend doing so

BUT

make sure he knows what he is doing.

good luck look fwd to seeing how you can enjoy your beast for less now.

9. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    There is indeed. If you look up the part number on ferrariparts.co.uk and convert to USD you will see the "proper" price from Ferrari. Resellers who buy Ferrari parts in the US would get them trade price so the markup (tax) is even greater. I dont know why you US guys put up with it.
    Superformance are even cheaper of course and in many cases parts such as this are sourced from the same suppliers and are identical.

10. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #10 mcypert, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    Vivek….I’m even newer than you here and don’t claim to know anything useful. But, just as a second opinion, if it were me, I’d try the polyurethane bushings. I’ve used them on other cars and liked the improvement in response. These were single wishbones and struts so there was a lot more “slop” than Ferrari’s double A-arm.

The consensus seems to be that aftermarket bushings will be too harsh. Has anyone tried them? Given Ferrari’s track record with rubber, or whatever it is, I wouldn’t be inclined to use the original stuff. You didn’t mention your mileage, but isn’t this early for the bushings to degenerate?

Why don’t you be the guinea pig and let the rest of us know…..Just kidding….Thought I’d make your life more confused in case it wasn’t enough already….

Regards…..Mark in Houston…

11. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  12. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    #12 lilviv, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    First of all, folks . . . thanks. Based on the advice, tips, and discussion here - I agree with you guys that I should not consider the polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension, as they would take away from the Grand Touring feel of the car. I also agree that $1,800 (USD) or thereabouts is an outrageous amount to pay Ferrari for these components.

I appreciate the link to Superformance U.K. and ordered these parts this past Wednesday, and to my surprise . . . they already arrived today (Saturday) in Texas. The bill including shipping was less than $400 (USD). So, that is quite a savings in parts. And yes, I am willing to be a guinea pig and post my experience/results to return the favor to F-Chat members who may be in a similar dilemma down the line.

For the parts I ordered: First, the smaller of the bushings looked fantastic. All of them - all around. The larger of the two types had surface corrosion (right out of the bag) near the top (on 3 of the 4). They specifically advertise that the parts are zinc plated to avoid this, and I was a bit surprised. But, then I even noticed that on their website, the sample part shows evidence of that:

http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-v12m/suspension.htm - Click the picture for the #169326, and look at the strip above the rubber on the bottom. It already shows corrosion there on their sample picture. Two of the four I got are MUCH worse than this, spreading past that surface. Is this normal? Should I protest and send these back, wait for replacements, or is it normal and it should be O.K. with just a solid cleaning? Weird, right? What do you guys think here? On Ricambi's website, there is no picture for the part . . .

13. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    #13 lilviv, Sep 15, 2012
  14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Viv, we've all had experience getting new parts in with surface corrosion (even Ricambi has shipped brand new tensioner bearings with surface corrosion). But having said that, I'd still have a go at Superformance and send them a link to this thread.

They enjoy a very good reputation in Europe, although not that many know them on this side of the pond, so this isn't a very good way for them to break into this market.

It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

15. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    Thanks, John. I e-Mailed Superformance, and I will await their response and follow up with a phone call Monday morning. They've been nice to deal with, and I suspect they'll make it right. I'll be sure to let you guys know! :)

Again, I can't thank all of you enough for your advice and help here.

16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    I have solid bushes on my 308 and whilst it adds a very tiny amount to the precision to the car you would be hard pressed to notice any difference in ride comfort, plus there is no noise.

17. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    Alrighty, I wanted to follow through and update everyone.

Last Monday (9/17/12) A.M., I called Superformance to follow up to my e-Mail, and they said they would send me 3 replacements. They asked me to send back the defective ones, which is quite a pain given that it is overseas - but, I understand (so they can reject it to their supplier).

The replacement bushings arrived yesterday (9/24/12 around noon). I dropped them by Norwood Performance, and he had already changed the "uppers," and he just had to do these. They finished them up that day, and this morning they did the alignment, along with a couple other minor things (adjusting a carpet piece that was pulled, replacing a couple wheel center caps, etc.).

The car drives very well (since I did the front tires about the same time as the new control arm bushings - it's like I got a new car!).

The real test will be how these bushings hold up, and I'll be sure they are checked at my annual services, take pics., and try to keep you guys updated. I'm happy to be the guinea pig. :)

All said and done, I am pleased with the price paid for the work:

http://personal.lilviv.com/images/stories/user_added/motoring/550maranello/service/20120912_frontcabushings_all_vscaps.pdf - The Parts From Superformance (8 Front Control Arm Bushings and 6 Valve Stem Caps). This is in British Pounds. I believe this translated to $414.94 in USD after foreign transaction fees.

http://personal.lilviv.com/images/stories/user_added/motoring/550maranello/service/20120925_frontcabushings_alignment_misc.pdf - The Bill From Norwood Performance. Labor and Alignment.

Looks like I spent right around $1,500 (USD). This was about half as expected when I was looking at using OEM parts from Ricambi.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. :)

18. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Great news Viv, and thanks for updating the thread.

Still a pity you had to pay the return freight to send the others back when it clearly wasn't your problem or mistake.

19. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    For the sake of keeping the thread up - I sent a copy of the receipt to Superformance for the $21.xx I incurred to ship the bushings back (the cheapest way possible), and she seemed receptive to showing a credit in my account there. I asked that once they are received, they simply credit me the shipping costs. They seemed receptive to that.

Also, I took the car on a 185 mile drive yesterday (including some very high speed blasts and twisties), and the car performed wonderfully. Between these bushings and new tires at the same time, it's like I got a new car. So, the bushings seem to perform well.

In the future, I will likely replace the rear bushings and then do the dreaded shock mounts all around with all new shocks - wish list. I mentioned this plan to one of my friends, and he simply replied with, "Do you just hate money or what?" Haha, sigh.

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Rebuild the shocks at bilstein is cheap. Ferraridriver has the ultimate shock mount solution

21. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

$100 per shock @ Bilstein. I had all of mine done recently while the shock mounts were changed out for Dave's design. Interesting to note that the 550's solid spherical bearing mounts were another "oops" that Ferrari quietly corrected/improved in the 575M when they went back to a rubber cushioned design. Since the 575's shocks/mounts aren't retrofittable to the 550, Dave re-engineered the 550 mounts to be rubber cushioned and remachines them to take common rubber shock buffers. The car feels so much better - its handling is taut without being hard if that makes sense?

Viv, your friend must be a Porsche owner - they rarely have to spend money on their cars :)

22. lilviv

lilviv Karting

Nov 9, 2011
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Vivek Gupta
    Hey Guys, I just wanted to follow up and update everyone here. One thing I was concerned about when I put these new bushings on was longevity. Are they going to hold up alright or fall apart right away?

To offer one more data point, it's been 21 months and about 3,300 very spirited miles on the car . . . and today, when I had the wheels off to be spin balanced, I took a very close look at all bushings. They look fantastic (and, the car obviously still drives fantastically).

Boy, after being off to a very rough start with this car in the first year and spending tens of thousands of dollars bringing it up to my standards, it has really treated me well the last couple of years. I don't want to say this too loud because I fear the car will hear me, but I went annual service to annual service with no unexpected issues this last time around. :) Loving this car!

23. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I just replaced mine in a 98 550 and went with OEM.

First ones lasted 15 years and 57000 miles.

cheers,

Bill

24. dell550

dell550 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    george c
    #24 dell550, Aug 3, 2014
    Just change mine as well !! Went with OEM as after research they are much better than the cheaper after market copies . 20,000 miles on a set of front lower bushes with a whole lot of track days in there
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Hmmm...you mean apart from all the engine and gearbox failures? ;)