Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z... | FerrariChat

Performance difference in a 308/328 and a 350Z...

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'd like the board's opinion on what the performance difference is between a 308/328 and a modern sports car such as a 350Z. I would guess substantial.......especially in braking.

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    There's no comparison. I've seen the lap times posted by the 350Z at Blackhawk. Quicker than anything but a really well driven, aggressively set up 308 (that would be a B**** on the street).

Most modern "GT" cars will far outperform a 308/328 unless you get serious with weight reduction, chassis tuning and performance enhancement ($$). However, if you want a car with heritage, extraordinary sound, the "wow" factor and a platform that can (with the right money - lots) be made more competitive the 3x8 can get you there. Perhaps most importantly, my guess is you'll have a 350Z for a couple of years and then get bored with it/seek to upgrade. The 308/328 is timeless and for me (and I'd guess most of us) never fails to thrill me when I get in it and start it up.

Hope some of this helps!
    Philip

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Phillip's right: there really is no comparison in performance.

However, if you drive them back to back, I think that anyone would prefer the way the Ferrari looks, feels, smells, and sounds.

As good as modern sports cars are, they don't have the sensory experience of a Ferrari.

--Matt

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Right, guys. That is my conundrum! I currently own a 350Z track model, and it is awesome, but it's missing the tactile things only a Ferrari can provide.

Also, I'm pretty spoiled w/ the lack of maintenance Japanese cars need.
    Just change the oil, and drive the thing! I've also owned 3 E36 M3s, and they were similarly reliable, and fast! I can't really justify 2 2-seat sports cars, so I would have to make a tough decision, 350Z or 308/328.....

Admittedly, I'm a bit nervous about getting into a "money pit" car, even if it passes a PPI and seems great. I know, I know, if I'm not prepared for the future expense, then I shouldn't be in the game, right?

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I always get a thrill when I ever I jump into my 328 GTS and I have driven a lot of modern sports cars and non gave me the thrill of this classic 328. It is very raw and intimidating when at high speed as you can 'feel' the speed and the car. You tend to concentrate on the clutch, brake, throttle when driving and it is hard to let your mind drift away from the car itself.
    350Z is a nice modern car well equipped with all the gadgets and very comfortable in the cockpit. However, it does not give that raw 'Go-kart' typed of feeling such as the 3x8. A friend who owns a 328 GTB has even a very heavier clutch and he thinks it is the most enjoying part of driving when he has to forcefully stamp on his clutch.
    Well, it depends on what you are looking for really. But one thing is for certain 3x8 will last for eternity.

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    You might as well ask about the taste differences between an apple and an orange. The cars you're comparing are that different. Don't try to compare a new car with a 20 +/- year old car, there are no comparisons. And yes, Ferraris break and they're not cheap to fix. You're either prepared for it or you're not. Don't buy one and 'hope' that it will be as reliable as your Z, it won't.

Jaturon has it right, the 328 is 'raw and intimidating'. And it's pretty civilized as older Ferraris go. You don't hop in it for a quick run to Starbucks. I nearly drove mine to work today, but decided against it because sometimes it's just too much work. I'd never say that about a 350Z. But every time I get in the car, my blood pumps a little faster and I'm always a little on edge wondering 'what next'. I love it when I subconciously reach down to shift into a higher gear because the revs sound high, only to realize that I'm doing 100mph in 5th. I love the way it smells, I love the way it sounds, I love the way it feels. Can you say that about your Z? You pay the price for your passion.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's dropping by at lunch, to see if he 'fits' in one!!!! ;)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...and if I accidentally have the FCA Newsletter Classifieds.....and it falls out on the ground, well.................

....."here's an '83 308QV here, that would be nice.............or this one.........."

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    On a track, I lapped my friends QV in pretty short order with my Subaru STI. I have also been lapped in pretty short order by another STI when I was driving my 328 GTB. BTW, I have reeled in almost everything on the track with the STI, including 350Z's.

The flip side is that the 328 is more fun to drive. The steering is sharper (and manual) the balance is beautiful but it is let down by a lot of body roll an old chassis design (dates to late 60's) and not much power.

The STI is fun also, especially stalking Vettes, Vipers, M3's etc on the track. Most of those owners do not like being caught by a Subie. The 328 has the feel, sound, even smell that makes it a total sesory experience.

Dave

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    yep, yep, you're all correct . The sensory, tactile things are what's missing from my 350Z. I've got a decision to make...

Thanks, Alan for the "sit-in" and interesting discussion. I've got to get my wife on my side...............!!

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the 350z is a nice car. get a 308 / 328 now while you can. as the years pass, 350z's will be a used jap car. the 3x8's will become more and more sought after. i would rather have a 1970 Z28 than a new Z06 or Z28, T/A. its best to grab hold of what you can, when you can because there are changes on the horizion that will change everything.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have her call Valeria!!!!!!

*waving bye*

My lovely first wife didn't take it too well, either............LOL!

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I forgot to mention something about brakes. As many of you know, the STI comes with big, powerful Brembos that produce stopping distances on a par with the best exotics. However, as I and others have found out, they do not like the heat generated with track driving. Fresh fluid is a must, but still the hotter they get, the worse they work. After 3 track days in the STI, stopping distances had noticeably increased, though still very good. It is now widely known that for STI owners who want to track a lot, aftermarket brakes are a must. On the other hand, my 328, like all Ferraris, has brakes that work better when hot. It takes a couple of laps for them to reach their best. More importantly, there is never any fade. The pedal is firm and easily modulated. Repeated hard braking from 100+ can be done with confidence that they work the same every time. Also, after 17K miles and plenty of track days, the rotors still look like near new and the original pads have plenty of meat left. They work as good as day one. Though not as powerful as modern brakes, the 328's give me the confidence to use them fully on track day. The STI does not. Can't speak for other modern hot rods.

Dave

14. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I love the 328. Today was suppose to rain, but ended up being nice. In my garage was my 328, covered up. In the next stall is a Jag XJR, and blocking my garage was an XKR, a 911 and a BMW convertable. I moved them all because I just wanted that Ferrari feel. It was worth the hassle. Can't wait to add another F car. You could keep your Jap cars. Great cars, not for me.

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hey, Carreaper/Michael...

What do you mean by: "its best to grab hold of what you can, when you can because there are changes on the horizion that will change everything."?

Are you talking about politically, technologically, spiritually? I think "yes" on all 3 counts!

So, grab a handbuilt car while they're still available?

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    carreaper gets a little excited sometimes....LOL!

The Ferrari market is more like a slow moving train...I forgot to mention The Ferrari Market Letter as it is very useful for examining pricing 'trends'.....

Remember my comment on art and tangibles vs. the stock market..........

17. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    noted, Alan..

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No doubt...the 350Z is ten times the performance of an old 328 or 308...but guess who's having more fun carving up a winding mountain road? ;) Yeah, the 350Z will spank a 308/328 silly on the track or street, but is that what you are after? If you are, then a Subi or Evo is probably what you should get....

Regards,
    Dave
    (don't own a 350Z, but am a Jap...)

19. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i am not a spiritual person anymore, so its the other 2 choices! ;) even among carb 308's, there are big differences between, say a dry sump 76 or 77 and a USA spec 79 carb car. then you have the early 80's injected cars. and thats just in one model. they will make enough jap whatevers that you can pick them up cheap as time marches on, then the will be too hard and or expensive to work on.

nobody goes out and finds and fixes the early 80's trans ams, camaro's, mustangs ect. this is because it was the dawn of computers, with electronic feed back carbs and nasty emissions equipment. the cars are junk. yet the late 60's and early 70's variations of these cars are extremely sought after now.

my point is that unless the population of buyers can keep up with the technology in these newer obdII and higher cars, the future market will be full of computer crap cars that no one can work on or afford to work on. look at how the service costs on Testarossa's affect so many folks decision on whether or not to buy one. who is going to work on the 360's when they are 20 years old?

the old pre computer carb cars will be the ones to have. all of them. 308gt4, Mondial, ect and so on. i would not mind a nice QV or a 328. but 30 years from now whn i am in my 60's, we will be so lucky to have fuel, or gasoline cars, much less "exotic" ones.
    by a 3x8 whatever. if you dont like it, sell it. i wont have this new 77 GTB 308 i JUST got more than 6 to 8 months, and it will be up for sale. thats the way i am. i have had over 140 cars and i am not a weathly wine and cheese guy. dont grow old and wish you could have had a this or a that when you were younger. BUY IT NOW. SELL IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

:) and i dont get carried away BIGTEX..................... ( evil grin) :)

20. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I was parking my 328 GTS this weekend in front of a club with some other japanese sport cars ie. 350, evoVII, supra and just have a guess which car passes-bys stopped, watched and admired the most!!

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I know; that's the attraction.... The 328 (and 308 for that matter) are simply timeless designs that have intrigued me for over 20 years. No matter that they're old technology, the purity of design remains attractive, and desirable.....

I think I'll start a thread titled "Has my dream of owning a 308/328 still relevant?"

22. RickDay246

RickDay246 Karting

Sep 10, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rick Day
    Hang around the gas station and wait for people to come up and say, "hey, is THAT a Nissan? Wow! Cool!"

23. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    I don't think many Ferrari owners hang around gas station much unless they getting gas or own one....

24. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Nearly 30 years since the introduction of the 308 and people still can not accept that it is a classic. People still think of it as a fast mechine like its old days by comparing it to the current cars. People have never mistaken by comparing the Daytona, Dino or 365GTC to the modern cars.... Isn't that because of its timeless design of the 308 have fooled these people for years that it still could perform as well as today's vehicles

25. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    No..no.no..no!!
    I can assure you that people in San Diego know and appreciate the beauty when they see one and definitely they would not have mistaken a Ferrari to a jap-car.