Removal of interior rear upper panel trim (575/550) | FerrariChat

Removal of interior rear upper panel trim (575/550)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by pma1010, Feb 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    While treating the interior to a drink (more like a bath) of leatherique conditioner this afternoon, I noticed that the rear upper panel, behind the "parcel" shelf has come adrift on one side and needs to be put back into position. to be clear, this is not the parcel shelf that has the leather straps to hold the fitted luggage in place, this is an angled piece that rises above the parcel shelf and slots in just below the rear brake light housing.

While not the piece, Eurospares 575 parts catalog page 113 item #7 is the carpet that lies beneath the trim piece of reference

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=640&A=2&B=36672&S=

I assume the trim is accessed through the trunk in some way but if anyone can guide, I'd appreciate it. (I did search. Been documented on 456, did not see on 550/575.)

Philip

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

#2 Cribbj, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Philip, I think you're referring to piece #28 in the attached diagram (at this link: 550 Maranello: Table 123 - TUNNEL - INNER TRIMS - Ricambi America, Inc.)

There's an excellent thread by member Soren on removal of the rear shelf, and Moorfan's thread on "1998 550 Maranello Sorting" details it also. I've had those pieces out but damifi remember what needs to come out first to get to them. I'm pretty sure the carpet & the rear side panels need to come out and the pillar covers, and to get the carpet out, you have to take the leather tiedowns out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  4. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John and Terry, thanks both.

Terry, assume those instructions are from the WSM. It's being ordered from Daniel along with some maintenance items. the rear window shelf I am describing is pictured in the last photo of your post.

John, will also check Pete's thread. Looks like the 550 has a different configuration from the 575 for the rear window shelf.

Philip

5. Soren

Soren Karting

Jul 13, 2011
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bryce Anderson
    Actually pretty easy, at least on a 550. In Taz's diagram above, look at the rearmost flat section that butts up to the surround, labeled 'D'.

This section will slide forward, toward the seats. You might need to hook your fingers around the edges first to obtain a surface to pull against.

The flat section will remain attached at the lower bottom edge.

As you pull the rearmost flat section forward, there are four screws that will become exposed along the bottom perimeter of the surround. They will be recessed in cutouts in the periphery of the sound-deadening material under the rear flat section. IIRC, these four screws are the only fasteners holding the rear surround in place.

The clearance under the rear window is tight. You'll need to use a short #2 Phillips screwdriver, or a #2 bit in a quarter-inch ratchet socket, to remove the screws.

With the screws out, you'll need to push/pull on the rear surround to free it from a friction fit between the window and the four brackets that were retained by the screws. Be very careful of those metal brackets- on mine they were thin stamped steel with razor-sharp edges and corners. I wrapped mine with tape before pulling the entire surround out.

It's a five-minute job. While it's out, check your CHMSL bulbs and the plastic fixture in which they're secured. My 550 had one bulb out when I brought it home, but it turned out to be the connection in the fixture- the bulb was fine.

It's also a great time to re-secure the edges of the leather to the backside of the surround using better adhesive, and to moisturize the leather itself.

If necessary, I think I can post some photos tomorrow. Hope this helps.

6. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As per Soren's response it is quite easy and is only held by the 4 screws. On my 550 I removed the luggage straps as I thought that the entire parcel shelf needed to be removed. But in the end it is only held in by the screws under the carpet.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Great guidance. Yes, would lovea couple of pics if possible. Thank you.
    Philip

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #8 pma1010, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I was changing the rear springs on my car, I noticed the rear window shelf (the one above the parcel shelf) had become detached from the padding underneath causing it to appear a little less than nice when viewed through the rear window.

First step in addressing this is to remove one or both the seats. Willy has documented this earlier. Basically the same as on my old 308. Straightforward. On the 575 the seat belt attachment lug needs to be removed from the seat. It is a simple matter of undoing two small screws holding the trim panel beneath the seat motor switches and moving the trim slightly to access the 17mm bolt holding the seat belt anchor. I have pulled one seat and will pull the other for some leather nourishment and care.

Second is to remove the 8 fasteners (4 pairs of 2.5mm allen head screws) holding down the straps that tie over the parcel shelf. In addition, I had a large bolt in the RR corner holding a bracket (child seat?). Once these were removed, the shelf could be tugged gently upwards starting with the end close to the emergency trunk release. All came out easily.

Next is the rear window shelf. This pushes in below the brake light trim piece and is released by tugging it out and then pulling the shelf towards the center of the car. It is held in place by two strips of velcro (worn out on mine) on the horizontal part near the brake light and with adhesive on the back of the vertical part.

As you can see in the picture, the leather has shrunk around the brake light (not visible when in place) and is noticeably rougher to the touch in the area immediately adjacent to the light housing. I'm guessing this is the area of maximum sun exposure.

I have given all pieces a good dose of leatherique and will see if this helps soften everything up. In the picture, you can see everything is quite moist with their rejuvenator oil.

Next up is to address the carpeting under the window shelf which is looser on the passenger side (hence allowing the leather shelf to move) by applying some adhesive. Also, I will renew the velcro attached to the car. It lies on a couple of metal strips and provides a platform for the mating strip on the rear window shelf side. Let me know if this isn't clear and I'll snap a pic.

Philip
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

bagel1993 likes this.
  9. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    After multple treatments of leatherique to improve the leather on the rear window shelf, I glued the leather on to the fiberglass substrate and after everything dried, reassembled it all. Quite straightforward. Leather looks better and the parcel shelf looks really good too. I am going to look at the airbag cover leather next (it has a small bubble) and Soren provided some excellent step by step instructions for its removal in another thread.

Philp