360 factory sunroof | FerrariChat

360 factory sunroof

Discussion in '360/430' started by riverflyer, Nov 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, I am just full of questions today, maybe its the turkey or the continuously full belly....
    Just read pages of postings about factory sunroof for the 360 in the search forum. Lots of conjecture but not sure how much fact.
    Does anyone know for sure if this option detracts from headroom?
    I have seen some good pics of the top of the car, and yes the shape is quite weird, but have seen nothing from inside the car. Are there any factory sunroof owners aboard? Or anyone happen to have pics from inside?
    It seems that the option makes very hard resale, any first hand experience of that?
    Personally, I love sunroofs and like the idea in every way. I think its too bad its not a glass roof though and that fact makes it less desirable imo. Still addiong some sky into the car is a good idea but maybe its just the engineering of this particular option that makes it such a problematic resale feature. A dealer I talked to said the top stows behind the seats but does not intrerfere with seat travel. Is that really possible given that the unit looks to be 2" thick at least. thanks John

2. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I can't speak to the reduced headroom, if any. But you should know that it's a pretty clumsy design. It's strictly manual and you have to remove it and put it somewhere. I think it might be stowable behind the seats. There's not even a vent position.

When I ordered my 360, this was the one option that the salesman strongly cautioned me against, in no uncertain terms!

Besides, it really detracts from the coupe's sleek appearance.

Have I dissuaded you yet?

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    You are doing a good job. This is one situation where a very popular option that does not seem to have too many supporters!

4. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's been a while since I've seen one. Besides the odd shape, there is no decrease in headroom with the exception of a big ugly handle on the inside that looks like it was borrowed from an old fridge.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the roof doesn't affect the seat tracking as it sits on the rear ledge behind the seats. if you select the hifi stereo system, the rear ledge also holds the subwoofers. i would have to believe that these options are mutually exclusive. i have only seen one car with the sunroof, and frankly, i didn't think it was all that bad. sure that trapazoidal shape is a little goofy, but was necessary due to the aluminum chassis design. it really isn't much different than a targa system when you think about it, other than the side rails connecting the front to rear for rigidity purposes.

with there being as few made as there have been, i think they may actually bring a premium years from now. it is sad when people buy a car like this and forgo such options simply because they are focused on resale value. i think the idea that the sunroof affects resale (rather true or not) is what has lead to the no-selected sunroof cars.

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone have a pic of this option with roof in or out?

W.S. I had originally been very excited to see some of these sunroof optioned cars for sale and would have agreed with your logic except after reading the archives and seeing such a strong negative resonse from many members. This leads me to believe that you would be removing a significant number of potential buyers from the pool for a car w/sunroof option. Now it might be that there are actually some that are specifially looking for it as well, but if so they are not speaking up.

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Here is a picture of the cutout.

Odd shape and it's small IMO. Other then the Mondial has Ferrari ever done a sunroof before?

If you want it- buy it. It's your car and your money.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Paul, I think they did one on the 400's also

9. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Yea- that's true.
    Easy to forget about the 400s.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Just an observation, but if you find a 360 with sunroof & later sell it on ebay, you can list it as "rare" and be one of the few sellers not exagerating :)

Wonder just how many were produced with sunroof option??

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    308 GT4 as well.

12. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Sometimes things are rare for a reason!

fwiw, I've probably seen over a hundred different 360 coupes here in Ferrari-rich So Cal and only 2 had sunroofs.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Anyone with pictures of the sunroofs on the mondials, 400s, and GT4's?

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Speak of the devil....never heard of the sunroof in the 360...saw one for the first time on a car on ebay this morning (see link below), then just read your question. I would skip this option- probably rattles and/or leaks (or will rattle and/or leak in time), looks quite ugly, and probably hurts resale....the 360 is just too pretty of a car to do something like this to- even if it's from the factory, it looks like a local stereo/window tint garage had an 18 year old apprentice do the work. All that said, if I found a 360 that was cheaper because of one, and it made me able to afford the car I would gladly take it as the car still looks awesome :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4507265332&category=84156

15. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One of the candidates I placed at Ferrari actually told me the exact number of Sunroofs Ferrari installed and I can't remember for the life of me. A customer called with that exact question. I'll email him Monday and find out. We discussed how it would probably add value in the coming years.

16. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    the number I had heard was very small, like 9 total(could be US only) but there are currently 4 sunroof cars for sale right now so that number may be too small.

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    9 sounds pretty small. We had a sunroof car at the FCA Columbus Day show, with only (I think) 4 or 5 360s total. It was a brand new Rosso Corsa/Tan, I think the owner is Gary Brown (close to my name so I remember it).

Gary

18. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I thought the number was that small. I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow.

19. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    The ebay ad cites only 9 were made, but we all know how accurate information cited in a car ad (especially wholesalers selling on ebay) can be....

20. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    why does everyone hate it? its a sunroof...these are GOOD to have...

21. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    When will they bring back "T-Tops"?

:)

22. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm told 9 is the magic number.

23. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Saw one for the first time yesterday.
    The only oddity, beside the design of the roof, is that it was a striped rosso scuderia 360 CS with perspex windows !

24. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Pictures now posted here.

25. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C