Putting Together Car Show w/ Musk. Air Fair (Blue Angels) | FerrariChat

Putting Together Car Show w/ Musk. Air Fair (Blue Angels)

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Jerrari, Dec 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Would anyone be interested in displaying their car at the Muskegon Air Fair on Saturday 7/23/05? I talked with the Air Show director last night at a gala reception announcing the return of the Blue Angels next year, and he is all for it. I spoke w/ 2 of the pilots and they were even excited!! How many of you could I count on to bring your cars here for the show? This is the largest air fair in Michigan, and according to the pilots, because of the great hospitality they receive when thay are in Muskegon, it is one of their favorite stops, and it's a simple ferry ride to Muskegon. Thanks, Jerry.
    http://www.muskegonairfair.com/tickets.htm

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This could be interesting. Can you find out, whether we'd get a chance to park the cars next to any of the Blue Angel's jets? THAT'd be a very cool shot and worth the trip for me.

E.g. FOC Midwest could turn this into a 2 day drive from Chicago up North, take the ferry across and spend the night in Muskegon. We had some similar ideas for this summer already as you probably remember.

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Yes I do remember as this past June I was VERY close to putting together a show in conjunction w/ the Muskegon Summer Celebration that I had posted on this Chicago section, but at the last minute the #1 sponsor of the festival, Chrysler, said no way will you have a car show featuring anything but Chrysler products. This time, there is nothing to stop us from putting together a 1st class show!! They are expecting about 30,000 people on Saturday. I will help your group in any way that I can!! We may put the cars in hangers, but not at all sure yet.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sounds like a Capitol idea to me...:) Count me in.

5. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    I'd do it.

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    That's awesome guys, I am really excited about this!! Is there one person in your Chicago area that I can count on as my "go to" guy, to be my main point of contact? PM me if you wish. Thanks, Jerry.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Use me if you like.

8. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Sounds cool...
    the wife and I are taking a big trip this summer (married 10 years... man am I getting old...) but the dates are not set. If we are here, we are in.

9. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Looked at my calendar and I will try to make the trip in my 308. Keep us posted.

Happy Holidays to All!!

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hey, this sounds pretty cool. I'll throw my hat into the ring.

11. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    This is awesome, you guys are giving me more support than the Mich folks!!

12. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    We just want to DRIVE EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Our F.O.C. Motto is: "We DRIVE!" So,you can count on us...:)

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is? I thought it was "We eat!"
    :)

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That tooo!!!...:) Seeing as we get more participation in the eating events than the Driving Events.....Although,they do go hand in hand...We always stop somewhere decent for a bite when we are on a Drive.

16. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Just rattle our cages like 3 weeks prior to remind us all....

17. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'd probably be willing to do this if you guys would be accepting of an "outsider" (Lotus).

18. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    #18 Jerrari, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gentlemen, I just had a meeting with the air show director, Terry Grevious, and here is what we came up with for the show: Each participating Ferrari will get a vehicle pass and 1 free weekend admission VIP pass. Anyone else that comes with you will have to pay $11 for an adult and $5 for kids under 12. We can only guarantee asphalt parking for about 20 cars, any above this run the risk of having to be on field grass just off the tarmac. Because of the space constraints, we can only accept Ferraris and I would like to get one Lambo, no other marques this year, sorry. It is possible that there will be room for more on pavement, but we won't know until the day of the show as many ground display planes may be tied up in Iraq. We will put the cars in place after the planes are in place, so the cars will be in a temporary staging area until then. There will be a pre-flight party Friday night that starts at 5:00 that will have a limited number of acts and is mostly a big party with about 10,000 people (no Angel flights). If you want to have your Ferrari here for this, it will have to be in the grounds by 3:00 pm. Otherwise if you are coming on Saturday, you will have to have your car in by 7:00 am. You will not be able to leave before 6:00 pm (it is best to just sit there and tailgate anyway!). The C-130 guys will probably be partying with us, as they are quite wild. We are looking for a volunteer to offer his ride to the "Boss" (#1 Blue Angel) to use for the weekend as a token of appreciation to the Angels. In return, you will get free lodging for the weekend and a pass to the Chairman's Club area. I know this is a lot to ask, so if we get no volunteers, it is OK. When they were here in '03, it was discovered that the old boss was a Ducati fan, so Terry got him a Ducati from the local dealer for the weekend.
    Saturday's and Sunday's shows will bring in about 35,000 people each day. You are welcome to stay for as many days as you wish. We are going to ask the C-5A Galaxy crew if we can place a car or two inside the Galaxy where people will be streaming through if anyone is interested. Most of the cars will be placed around the C5, the Fed-X 727 and the C-130 (see pic).
    The Chairman's Club is available (see photo from '03 show) for $2000 for a group of 12 persons. This means all 12 one day, or 6 for Sat and 6 for Sun. If you come again, it will only be $1000 for the group. This provides optimum show viewing, umbrella tables, gourmet food, full bar w/ premium beverages, private air conditioned restrooms and no fighting crowds. We are going to put one or 2 Ferraris in this area.
    We MAY be able to let 2 of you race down the runway between acts if anyone is interested, Terry has to check with the FAA and his insurance carrier.
    I will be having a party at my house (2 miles from airport with free shuttle to and from) on Saturday night for all attendees and their families.
    Please send PM with who is interested because as I said, space is limited. This will be an awesome show as the many different acts tell Terry that Muskegon is one of their favorite stops on thier circuit. Don't forget, we have the car ferry, beautiful beaches, Michigan's Adventure amusement park (owned by Cedar Fair), Grand Haven 5 miles away and a host of other attractions. Thanks, Jerry.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    #19 Jerrari, Jan 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    7am to 6pm sounds a bit rough. Any chance on coming later or leaving earlier?

We have the air & water show in Chicago and usually after a few hours I have seen enough and move on to other things.

21. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    We can't get your car out of there any earlier, but if you want to take off w/ the family & go to the beach/amusement park, etc., I will be happy to watch your (or anyone else that wants to do the same) car for you. There will be trolleys that will be running all day to and from the airport into town. Let me know what I can do to help.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As a general FYI, here is the trip I plan to take:

Thursday: Leave Chitown and head to Milwaukee
    Friday: Take the noon ferry across to Muskegon
    Saturday: Air show
    Sunday: Take the ferry back and arrive back in the late afternoon

So we'll be staying one night in Milwaukee checking out the town and some of its museums (the new Calatrava art museum is spectacular) and two nights in Muskegon. Any hotel recommendations?

What I like a lot about this trip is that the driving is somewhat limited, but the activities and the diversity of things to see are rich. Also I love the whole ferry thing, kinda cool and probably the one and only ferry my Ferri will ever ride on.

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That definitely sounds like a Plan!

24. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Update on confirmed registered:
    (1) 308, (2) 348 spiders, (1) TR, (1) 360 Modena (Frank from TUBI) and either a 2nd 360 Modena or a Ford GT, depending on if the guy's GT is here yet, it should be. Yes, I am making an exception for the Ford.

25. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    I would like to be involved also. I own a 1985 308gtsi.

Thanks
    Dan Giacalone

p.s. see everyone karting!