Wheel Alignments - Are you being conned? | FerrariChat

Wheel Alignments - Are you being conned?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Nov 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 Aircon, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently saw some photos posted of the suspension settings of a Ferrari that had just had a wheel alignment done. Of course they were posted to suggest that this car's wheel alignment was perfection which, as any of you who knows how Ferraris are made, would immediately understand is impossible, especially with a minimum shim thickness of 1mm!

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that you should be very suspicious if the readings for your wheel alignment are like this.

Three things you need to know.

First, the operator can enter whatever figures he wants.

Second, a slight tilt of the head of the machine can mean an easy match of caster one side to the other.

Last but not least, even if they are the real numbers and the head is NOT tilted, you can change the resolution of the machine....i.e if you have a camber of 1.9deg on one side and 2.1on the other, you can programme the machine to round that to a nice round 2.00 if you want.

Even the mechanic who did the job, when pressed (but not before), admitted "Yes, the settings are rounded slightly, you can see that the rear toe is 1.7 each side, but 3.5 total."

So, basically, they weren't 1.7 each side at all, by the operator's own admission. It all depends on how you calibrate and programme the machine.

Anyway, the point is that if it was my car, and I saw these figures, I'd be asking a lot of questions. Of course, the job looks like it's an excellent result on its own merits....why the numbers had to be fudged I can only imagine.

Carl888 has been doing my wheel alignments for quite a few years now, and I've been there watching which is why I know perfection is impossible...but at least Carl's machine is accurate enough so that if it shows 1.7 and 1.7 it'll show a total of 3.4!! (not that it ever has...but he gets it close)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Of course we are being conned. :eek:

I had 2x new front tyres fitted to a customers car today and when I paid for them I noticed the cost of the wheel alignment was not printed on the invoice.

I asked the owner of the Bridgestone outlet if his men actually did it as I did ask for it and it was printed on the 'job card'................and he replied saying "yes, it's free for you today".

Lol, reckon they even did it? ;)

Overall, it's a rough guide using those wheel alignment machines and you are exactly correct, it is only as good as the person who sets it up on your car and uses it.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    geez...your story sounds shonky too.

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    The alignment Carl did on the 355 before you "gave" it to me is VERY good and using my favourite piece of road that changes camber one way to the other it tracks the road perfectly with hands off the wheel (this test is performed under supervision on a closed stretch of open roads ......................... :p )

My Lexus had an issue last year with the alignment and this road showed it up beautifully, then had an alignment done by the Lexus people and it too will track this road camber changes perfectly (responds ever so slightly slower than the 355 but then so it should !!)

5. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Nowaday we get computer print out of the results from tire rack on any cars. forget the exotics! how in hell do i know that i get what i pay for on my daily driver?
    This is scaryand confirm a HUGE issue in this automotive industry. Consumer are often taken for a ride.
    I caught 2 of my own in the past. I was told to change my front axle for big money. I decided to do it myself to find out that this was BS and only inner bushing were needed.

Another time I was charged for a new alternator and battery when all it was (as i found out later by myself) was a bad contact on a hidden battery connection. I had to get a mechanic because of business obligations.

But you dont know unless you do the job yourself and that is not always practical.

In this industry that are many crooks and incompetents hidding behind big certification labels..