Cam timing, 360 variators etc. | FerrariChat

Cam timing, 360 variators etc.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Rifledriver, Feb 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am still involved in the project and due to all involved (Lawyers, Ferrari North America, California Bureau of Automotive Repair, California Air Resources Board etc.) I may be for some time. Due to that there is much I cannot say at this time. What I can say however is the technical information I have unearthed as the technical consultant in the case.

The car is an earlier model 360 subject to the variator campaign. The car suffered a substantial loss in power varified by a comparison of a dyno run the car had earlier in it's life compared to one done after the variators were replaced. It was also varified by speed runs done by the owner on a favorite piece of road in 5th gear. There was no question the car lost power. The car also suffered a catastrophic failure of the catalytic convertors. The warranty claim...lets just say that cost the owner a substantial 5 figure bill to repair at the dealer.

My initial inspection among other things included a compression and leak down test. The right bank had perfect leak down (0-1%) but compression was 50 lbs off. The SD2 said the exhaust cam timing was 9 degrees advanced, pretty sloppy but not enough to cause a problem of that magnitude. At that point the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR) (2 representatives), Ferrari North America (2 more), lawyers etc came to watch, witness, photograph etc. me strip the motor and time the cams with a degree wheel.

Now to go back a bit, prior to the variator campaign Ferrari insisted that the only proper way to time cams was with a degree wheel. That was when YOU were paying the bill. Now when THEY are paying the bill suddenly it is OK to use the computer on the exhaust cam and the marks on the intake cam. Also The tolerance for timing was plus or minus 1 degree (out of a 720 degree aggregate) it is now plus or minus 4 degrees on the exhaust and as close as you can get it by eye on the intake.

When I got the motor far enough apart to see the various marks and got the motor TDC'd the exhaust marks looked spot on, the intake marks showed about a half width retarded. I set up my degree wheel and dial indicators and measured the intake first. It was 24 degrees retarded. It was rechecked by one of the FNA representatives present and confirmed to be 24 degrees off. When the timing was corrected on that cam (within 1 degree) the mark was now about half a width advanced! The exhaust cam was checked next, it was 9 degrees advanced. Again, no one present was able to discern any misalignment of the marks. The combined error removed all the overlap from the valve timing. If you have ever spent any time doing motor tuning you know how that affected the motor.

The message in all of this is two fold.

1. The method Ferrari is compensating their dealers for to perform the variator campaign is in direct conflict with the methodology they have insisted on for decades and relies on luck and Karma to get your cams back in proper time. If you have any doubts as to the running quality after a variator campaign is performed do not take just their assurances that everything is fine. This owner did, and by the time it is over he will have spent close to 25 thousand dollars to get his car back to where it was before it all started.

2. For those of you who still choose to believe you can see plus or minus 1 degree on a poorly made mark put in the wrong place on a 1 inch diameter shaft I have one word for you. DREAMER!
    And before you question my method of measurement or how careful I was don't forget all the people I had watching over my shoulder and the fact a very good technical person from FNA repeated my measurement and came to the same conclusion. It cannot be done by eye, Period.

P.S. This car is not completely finished yet and with two wounded cylinders on the left bank (cannot go into that now) it is a few miles an hour faster in 5th gear than it ever has been. Goes to prove that the boys in Italy are not all that careful timing cams either.

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>ALL 360 OWNERS NEED TO READ EVERYTHING ABOVE<<<<

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    All fascinating stuff.

I'm confused as to where you say the line was half a width off one way, then when corrected was half a width off the other way, yet you made a change of 24 degrees. I assume 24 crank degrees, then cam is 12 degrees...That's an awful lot and would be seen by eye to be more than a line width in my opinion. 12 cam degrees is about a whole tooth of belt.

There is some confusion within Ferrari about which inlet valve of the three per cylinder to measure on. The wording is "use the lateral valve", which for me means either one of the outer ones, and not the central one of the three.

Further confusion arises when the tolerance is claimed to be as such, but if you go through and measure every cylinder, the individual lobe grindings are not accurate to within 4 crank degrees, so to fuss over No.1 is just the beginning, are we to check every valve and set the timing to an aggregate.

FWIW, I have checked the cam profile to be symmetrical, and calculate the point of max opening from the timing information, and set timing to that. Tolerance of 2 cam/4 crank degrees each way is acceptable in my opinion, but I aim for spot on usually. belt stretch/pulley wear with age causes retardation of 1-4 degrees anyway.

4. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Well written Brian! I seem to recall there were a number of folks that called us "fools wasting time" in the last thread. Something about every mark made on the cams was spot on and provided an accurate form of cam timing. The results cant be denied! Now kindly provide us with the feedback from the owners perspective on how it runs now. There are those that say degreeing the cams is wasted time, HOG WASH! Damn, I am going to search for that last thread now.....
    Well done,
    Dave

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Dave used a great term in the F40 don't do this at home thread. "Consumer Acceptable". I still have two Ferraris but I just bought a Vette too. All the performance and no hassles and a billion go fast goodies. GM is so big that everyone has their eye on them. FNA is trying to scoot under the radar. Keep on them rifledriver!

6. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    I am collecting my 360 this Saturday after having had the variator campaign done, sure as hell hope the boys there in the UK are more careful and that my baby has even better power now. Will let you folks know if it bad, if its good I am going to be drivin and not typing.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Like I said, it still has 2 wounded cylinders on the left bank but even with that on this particular stretch of highway he has always used as a benchmark for how his cars run it will now pull 160 in 5th. A year ago it was 155, after the variators 145. After I fix the compression problems on the left bank I will get back.

8. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Interesting thread.

Is this typical for a 360 to top out in the real world at 160 vs the 180mph claims?

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    This is a sad story.............have they offered a crate motor or is it still......."we can fix this one, time and money no object??"

Man, a six man team to degree cams and only ONE of them is actually working!!

Fascinating..........

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was fifth gear, he had one more!

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is a 5th gear pull over a specific piece of a specific road, starting and stopping at the same place.

Sorry Tex for now I cannot say what is happening except for the technical information I have already given.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Actually it was eight, kinda reminded me of a CalTrans crew.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    REALLY laughing out loud!!

I have crews like that as well, carry on!

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Does anyone know the date and/or chassis assembly # at which point the variator issue was resolved on cars leaving the factory? And also, can someone explain what the problem was in the first place?

Thanks!

Ray

15. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I don't have TSB handy for # and dates (But it's quite old now... anything built 02 or later "should" be fine I would think)

.. but the problem is simply that the thread shears where the variator screws into the camshaft... meaning that the pulley still turns no problem... but it isn't spinning the camshaft anymore.... which means all the valves get bent, and maybe guides/seats/pistons damaged too.

16. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
    TSB #1232
    Engines below #60769, Vin range: 114015 - 123399.

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    My engine # is below 60769 by a couple of hundred. My VIN # is also within that range. When I called Ferrari North American however (on an un-related issue), the woman checked my VIN# and said there were no outstanding "campaigns" on my car. Does that mean the dealer had already fixed the aviator issue when the previous owner had it?

Ray

18. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    Ray,

Probably yes, but to be completely sure I would call the dealer, whose stamp is in the service book, who serviced the car since new for the previous owner, and put that specific question to them.

I know of a 2001 car which didn't have the campaign applied until this year, when the car was undergoing updating to comply with Ferrari requirements for the Power Warranty.

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I do know my car did have a powertrain warranty until August 2006 when I bought it - the dealer (Ferrari of Washington) did mention that. I would assume this warranty would not have been issued if they didn't make sure all the campaigns had been address.

I just went through all the updated and service bulletins for the 360 - I need an advil...

I'll call FNA in the morning, after I slit one of my wrists here..

:)

Ray

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'll call FNA tomorrow and start the convesation like this:

"look, first let me explain, I'm going to drive your car very hard, harder than your average 2000 mile per year customer.. so it's important you give me detailed information on anything which may result in the cam shaft exploding at 9500 RPM's"

:)