348 ts stalls | FerrariChat

348 ts stalls

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dcup, Feb 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    ok guys, have a new one for you, seems like whenever i take my 348 out, it will run great for the first 10 minutes of driving, after that she seems to stall out, no lights come on the dash, no warnings of any kind, she will just stall when i start to stop [ rpms drop down ], i then pop the cluth and restart her and the shes fine, sometimes the rest of the day, sometimes it will do it a couple more times. i dont know, maybe im not letting it warm up enough? but the temp is up when im running [ normal operating temp ]
    any thoughts ?????????, ernie where are ya ??????

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    This has been posted a thousand times, but just in case...

If the battery has been run down or disconnected, you need to "re-initialize" the electronics. Have you done this? Did you remember NOT TO TOUCH the accelerator pedal while it was being done? Might be worth doing it again.

Sorry if this is old news to you.

3. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    does this count on later models/ or by flipping the battery switch too?

4. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    yes as a matter of fact my battery was run down, i guess i should disconnect and the reset. damn i forgot about that .. thanks...

5. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    hey md, i think this goes for you too, not 100 percent positive, but almost positive. no not by turning off switch

6. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    As I understand it, the car is in "Learning Mode" when you restart after a battery shutdown. If you touch the throttle pedal during the 10 minute restart, it can enter a false baseline reading, with a subsequent problem such as you describe. Certainly easy and inexpensive to try for yourself, right?

7. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    yep... thanks jeff

8. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    soo, if i understood, while the battery still disconnected for a long time, you have to start the car and don't touch the throttle for 10 minutes ????

Ehhh, but if the car don't want to start without touching the throttle...what can i do ?

9. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    bob what i would do in your case is start the car and warm up before disconnecting the battery, then shut down and then disconnect the battery and follow the steps that jeff mentioned. i think the car will be no problem starting after she is warmed up..

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    You should never need to press the gas pedal to get the 348 to start and idle. In fact, the Owners Handbook specifically tells you NOT to press the accelerator pedal when starting. Just turn the key and let the ECU's do the work. If your car won't start in this manner, then something else may be wrong - TPS (throttle position sensor)?

11. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    ok guys thanks for your answer

12. jr348

jr348 Rookie

Sep 17, 2013
    I am also having a stalling problem. When starting my 92ts from cold the first time it sputters and stalls. Then on second try it fires up and idles at 1000, then starts to surge and will eventually stall (sometimes). Once on the road after warmup it will stall on normal stops most times . Have tried the ecu reset with battery disconnect but no luck. Any thoughts????

Thanks

13. jr348

jr348 Rookie

Sep 17, 2013
    I am also having a stalling problem. When starting my 92ts from cold the first time it sputters and stalls. Then on second try it fires up and idles at 1000, then starts to surge and will eventually stall (sometimes). Once on the road after warmup it will stall on normal stops most times . Have tried the ecu reset with battery disconnect but no luck. Any thoughts????

Thanks

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Remove and clean out your idle air control valves with some throttle body cleaner.

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Check your MAF sensor readings. Set them to 383ohms (I think that the factory set)..hit nodoubts link..Start with that first, before throwing parts at it..