Are all telecom companies evil? | FerrariChat

Are all telecom companies evil?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by rob lay, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I thought it was just Sprint, because not only did I work there and experience it first hand, but I was also a customer.

I couldn't imagine anyone being worse than Sprint, but since I switched everything over to Verizon, I wonder if not all telecoms are pigs.

Sprint has always been ranked pretty high and with my knowledge and research it seemed Verizon would be the best. So here is my experience switching over to Verizon from Sprint, the good and the bad…

1) Ordering all the services was an ordeal because I couldn't get everything in one place, so it took several calls, being on hold, and several call backs.

2) The wireless phones went the smoothest because we did it through Radio Shack. We got our phones right there and with wireless phone number portability our number was on the new phones by the time we left the store.

3) After a couple months with Verizon wireless, the quality is less than the Sprint service. The clarity is much worse, but Jennie and I get dropped calls on a daily basis. Sprint was like that 3+ years ago, but lately we had hardly no dropped calls with Sprint. The only positives I've seen with the Verizon phones is our plan is less expensive than Sprint and the range is greater.

4) I already had Verizon DSL and I'm very happy with that service.

5) We have Verizon local and long distance. I'm happy with the service, the clarity is very poor and we can always hear modems and talking in the background, but that may be our 900 Mhz phones. Although even when we switch channels we still have the exact same interference, that's what makes me think it is the Verizon lines.

6) I ordered the Verizon wireless pc card. I had Sprints which has been decent. You get about 60-100k speeds with Sprint and it seems reliable, but although they advertise the range is everywhere you can get PCS service, that is not true. My experience is only major metro areas have service. Anyway, the Verizon service is promising, 200-400k speeds in metro areas including DFW and 40-80k speeds almost anywhere in the country. So hopefully I will have faster speeds where I use it most, but then also can at least get some connection in a much wider area than Sprint. I ordered the card 1/26/05 and they started billing me immediately! I've had technical problems and have been unable to activate, but they are still billing me the $80 a month. In addition I had requested from the initial order that this be billed separately to my company and guess what? First bill comes and it is combined with everything else!

7) Now for the best one of them all!!! Southlake, TX now has the Verizon FIOS service, which is basically fiber optics to your home for voice/data. I got the lowest plan, which is still 2 Mb upload and 5 Mb download for the cost of the DSL. We scheduled the install for 1/28 at 1pm. 1/26 I come home from work and there is a note on the door "Sorry we couldn't install your service as you missed your appointment". After calling back I found out they sent the ground wires to be installed and terminated 2 days prior to install but the process is out of wack and the customer isn't notified. The wire guys says it happens every time. Anyway, the wires were installed on 1/27 and the tire tracks, torn bushes, and dirt mounds were proof. I take a half day off from work on 1/28 and they show up at 7pm! The installer was really nice and he got to work and called 3 other crews over so I had 4 Verizon trucks in my driveway! They installed the box in my garage, ran the wire in my attic, and accidentally busted a hole through my wall to the bathroom trying to find the wire down the wall. Anyway, at 10pm or so they gave up because the fiber at the street hadn't been terminated correctly. So they're apologetic and promise to return "ASAP", even tomorrow. A week goes by and I hear nothing. I call into the FIOS service center and after being on hold 30 minutes, they say my account will be researched and they will call back. I never get the call back and a week after that I call again. On hold 45 minutes this time (luckily I have speaker phone) and they promise to call back with status. I called back last week now for the 3rd time and they start telling me the same thing, but I got a little more forceful that I haven't been called back two times in a row. Anyway, now I finally start getting calls back to schedule the finish of my installation. Problem is they start telling me I can only schedule before 5pm and no weekdays. I absolutely can not take off any more time from work when they might not even show up. I told them if there are no more options that I would like to stop the install and have all the fiber dug up, wires removed from ground and house, boxes taken down, hole in wall fixed, and yard fixed. They say fine and forward me to another department. Not sure who this person was, but they were great and Verizon should fire everyone else and keep this person. They are the only ones that made an attempt to keep me around and take care of me while putting an end to the run around. They got me in touch with the right people and informed me that installs only before 5 on weekdays was incorrect. Long story short after some minor go arounds it looks like they'll be out Saturday to finish the install.

I'll keep you updated, but hopefully by Monday I have the Fiber and wireless PC card working! Let me know if any hints to minimize the dropped calls. I should have the latest software, but I'll go find the instructions to make sure.

Is Verizon or Sprint the best of the worse?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    We've had a relatively good experience with 3 years of Verizon.

I've had major issues with the old GTE (1st phone bill was $770 because they didn't give me the int'l plan we signed up for... $3.50/min calls), and VoiceStream was horrible too, 8 months of the 1 year we had them we would have to call and have mis-billed calls adjusted for our plan rate.

I think there's a general telecom scam going on where they skim by overbilling with an intentional error rate that would make a Japanese operations manager puke.

3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Verizon is a great example of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

On a calm, quiet Friday afternoon last summer, my office syddenly DSL craps out. Hard reboot of modem doesn't fix it. Pick up the phone to call Verizon, and no dialtone. Step outside to use my cellphone to call them, and I instantly figured out what happened. A construction crew was augering post holes for a wroght-iron fence being installed around our building's parking lot. I walked over there, peeked in a hole... they cut the trunk. It looked like spaghetti.

So I called Verizon and told them what had happened, and that we were without DSL and telephone service. They said they'd send someone out, but it might be awhile. A couple hours later, there's 5 trucks and 12 guys standing around repairing the trunk. The foreman told me we'd have service Monday if we were lucky.

I had the office phones forwarded to my cell, and took the rest of the day off, cause from an operational standpoint, we're castrated without an internet connection. As I was walking to my truck(3 hours after my initial call to verizon), here comes a service guy that had been to our office before.

"Did you schedule a service call on your DSL?"

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ouch Rob, I hope they do the yard & wall repairs.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Augh!!! No FerrariChat.com. ;)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I hope I just get the service working, the repair hassle will have to be worked out later.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL! Those aren't terrorists!

It's a landscaping crew in a $40,000 truck........:rolleyes:

Yep, all are evil......spawn of Satan........the whole industry is a shambles.....

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    lol! :) this past monday morning I was super-productive.

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  10. Kboy007

Kboy007 Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    Allen
    Full Name:
    Mike Verinder
    Couldnt really give you a good comparison from the Wireless side.
    Ive always had Sprint PCS for about 7 years now.. I have frequently went to other sites.. cause i always play with the idea of leaving but never do.. these guys are making a TON of money off of me.

I will say I had Verizon DSL when i lived in Plano and I couldnt stand it. Speeds were so inconsistant it was horrible.. and it would always "go out".

I then switched to purelyonline.. www.purleyonline.com which is kind of a "local" highspeed wireless service that only services parts of allen and plano. GREAT service. but they were limited in Bandwidth.

So Im at Comcast Cable now.. and this is honestly the pings if iver gotten. I did up grade to their fastest speed. (which is costly but hassle free).

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Rob, per drop calls, could it be due to your new house??

After moving to the current house in 2003, my Sprint hardly rang, and kept roaming inside my house. I complained, but Sprint had no intention of adding antenna tower for my area, so I switched to AT&T, then to T-mobile. I have only few drop calls a week now. (considering drop-callers are leaving a message)

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Verizon has good technology, but their business office is so fouled up that I fired them and went with Covad. (3M/768 for the price of Vz's 768/128. (Business class / static.))

That multiple call thing is from call center "peformance metrics": Every time you call Verizon, they "need" to "transfer you to another department" -- which dumps you back to that annoying voice menu. This (a) shortens "resolution time" and (b) increases "call volume" on their statistics.

And the customer winds up with no help at all.

Alas, the "last mile" wire (literally one mile) on my Covad service is from the local loop (Verizon), and, debugging the line dropouts on that 50 year old loop, they've taken to looking for phantom interference signals (or bad karma) rather than putting a line tester on Verizon's wire -- they don't want to deal with Verizon either.

Verizon is an example of philosophy that evil is merely the absence of good.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Oh my gosh. Just got the Verizon wireless data card working.

I did a quick test at DSL Reports. 360k download and 85k upload speeds!

Much better than the 50-80k speeds I had with Sprint.

The 360k speeds are only in certain metro areas like DFW, but I will still get 80k speeds almost anywhere else.

This is awesome!!!

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I've found them quite good for my needs. I use them for land line, DSL and wireless. They are in the process of installing fibre optics in my area and will soon offer TV through Direct TV. Apparently they will have a very attractive package deal if you get phone, DSL(or whatever fibre optic will be called) and TV at the same time. I can't wait. My phone is an unlimited calling plan which includes long distance, including Canada. Verizon wireless is the best service for this area. So, thumbs up for me. The one thing is if you need to call customer service for whatever reason regarding a credit you better put your boxing gloves on ;)

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just called Sprint to cancel my wireless PC card. It is $150 even though I've been a customer for 20 months. I guess at 12 months you have to renew for another 12 months. Paying $150 on the phones too because of early cancellation even though we've been customers for 4+ years.

That just seems so wrong, although all Telecoms do it.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just did the exact same speed test on my home DSL...

1500k downloand / 375k upload

Can't wait to test after my fiber is installed.

17. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Verizon put a $100 termination fee on my final bill. I complained, and they acknowledged that it was in error.

(Doesn't hurt to try, eh? -- Many people will just pay it, and there's always the "mistake" excuse. Gah.)

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Pure evil = Nextel

Avoid them like the plague!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I tried all my tricks, the best was when I asked her if she heard Forsee had received a $2 mil. bonus yesterday and I asked her how big her bonus was? :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Now will be part of Sprint. So double evil!

21. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I had dropped calls all the time with both sprint and verizon. I think all CDMA service has those problems. SInce GSM finally came to the states I have had great service. I use AT&T GSM, now it is Cingular. Since the merge my service area became much larger. I have never had a cell phone that gave me less problems until this. Every city I have gone to I have had great service. If there is no cingular tower, which is rare, I can switch it to a T mobile tower. It works in Europe with no problems it just bills to the normal account; no more getting an unlocked phone and prepaid sim cards. The best thing is I can use basically and GSM phone I want and just put my sim card in it.

I used Sprint and Verizon for years. There were always updates that I needed, dropped calls, with sprint no service in many buildings(i'm told this is b/c they use 1900mhz cdma that can't penetrate anything), 4 or 5 tries before my calls would actually connect with both services, and other little annoyances.

22. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Short answer: YES.

That's an adhesion contract, and it is generally (check with an attorney in your state if you care) not enforcable in a court of law. I never pay those, and I tell them if I see any furthur attempt to collect this illegal alleged debt that I dispute, I will seek legal action.

I've been though most of the wireless companies, and guess what, nothing ever comes!

They are all the spawn of Satan. Nextel is the only one with an actual unlimited useage plan, for friggin $200/month! They're all I seem to be able to use.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Seems like they could hit your credit though.

24. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Heck, Verizon already hit my credit rating. Seems they '"forgot" that they had already received (and deposited) a $300 payment (about 3 months worth) and turned my account over to a collection agency. It took about five months to get that straightned out with the business office from planet stuupo. That was a year ago, but the hit is still on my credit report. (And they managed to knock down my DSL for three weeks when they "restored" my phone account.)

If you're talking about a credit card -- would you trust people that dumb with a direct pipe to your money? I'll stick to checks, thank you.

25. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    GREAT! That's not only a civilly actionable item, but a crime to boot! I could use the money I get from suing them under the Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.) as ammended "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act."

and possibly TU/Experian/Equifax if they fail to delete under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), 15 U.S.C. § 1681 et seq.

Small claims court in your hometown is generally considered jurrisdiction for these suits.