360 cam variator failure | FerrariChat

360 cam variator failure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Clark, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    I am looking at a 200 360 modena 6spd with a cam variator failure repaired and paid by ferrari under warranty. Is that a good or bad thing?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did you use the 'search' feature??????

That's a good thing they fixed it. They have not been consistent..much discussion here.......

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

There is nothing wrong with that as long as the job was done well. Personally I prefer a car that has not been that deeply dug into since it was built because it removes another whole set of variables. If you look at the older cars, say a 250 we all know it has had at least 1 motor rebuild, but all of the sudden it matters who did it. That alone becomes a selling feature.

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    just be happy that is is done already. They are all being recalled and Ferrari only pays for the removal and replace of the parts under warranty--NOT THE MOTOR OUT AND MOTOR BACK IN LABOR--ABOUT 4000.00

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

A. The motor does not need to be removed for that procedure and the bill should be nowhere near $4000.

B. It is NOT a recall.

C. It does not apply to ALL.

6. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    I was glad mine failed BEFORE I bought my car. It"s like getting a free topend rebuild! I has about 7K miles since the rebuild.

7. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    Upon further research, The car had cam variator failure and was fixed by Ferrari dealer it then had belt failure and the engine was replaced.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I seem to recall previous posts in which quite a few people denied that belts or variators ever failed. One indignant person went so far as to demand proof that a variator ever failed. I wonder where he is now? Hmmmm. Belts don't fail either so this entire thread must be based on a fairy tale.

9. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    excuse me--but I was just at FOA with LMPdesigner with his 360--the motor DOES come out on this---There is a call into FoNA currently about this.
    The estimate is OVER 4000.00
    there IS a recall on the units also--per the dealer--but ONLY the part cost is covered.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

It is a campaign, not a recall. The cost for replacing the part is covered by Ferrari. Some of the other costs are for the owner to pay but not on the order of thousands. The motor does not need to come out to perform the campaign. If you feel the need to argue that is ok with me but you or your friend is the one getting screwed. Ask them if you can read TSB#1232 dated June 2004, it is also refered to as Service Campaign 97. It is very specific and if what you say is true you should be contacting FNA because the dealer is not following information and instructions outlined in the bulletin. I they are charging you to remove and repair an engine that has had a variator failure then that is a very different situation. In that case you should be calling a lawyer.

11. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Brian is correct in what he says, There is no need for the engine to come out for this operation. I have personally done a few.
    All can be reached by access panel in the firewall.

Best regards, Jim

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    This is a good one...last year when I was chasing after this issue with FNA, the guy who introduced himself as managing and running the challenge series races in Europe the year before (who shall stay nameless) gave me his word that this is not an issue with road cars while he admitted there was a problem with the 360C. All the time, I knew several around the world whose variators had broken and cost lots of money and a lot of down time. It only took 3 months after my conversation with FNA for them to generate the TSB, no I had nothing to do with it...I am just saying what happened chronologically.

The poster who was adamantly questioning the whole thread apparently had contacts with Micheletto FoA, among others...and was referring to the posts as tribal knowledge...I saw a post from him not too long ago trying to find a way to complain to FNA regarding many issues with his 1999 among other things the CAM Variators. Brian you gave him the contact info for the head of technical services...

13. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Coincidentally, I'm getting ready to replace my timing belts. The service manager brought up this exact point. He said that Ferrari has a campaign to replace the variators if necessary. He said since I'm doing the belt replacement, the variators would be covered under warranty and would be replaced free of charge (parts & labor).

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    4I2FLY You can lead them to water.......

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Do it.

16. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm scheduled for Monday a.m. Thanks.

17. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    This bit is interesting and I am trying to make sense as to what happened...Could the belts even new (after the variator service) fail if the tensioner was the early style and ceased? I never heard any issues with the tensioners until I saw the variator TSB.

18. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It would be great for those of us uninitiated to hear about what the cam variator actually does, its specific function, what it looks like, where and how it fails, pics etc. I'm assuming by its name its part of a variable cam timing system but would like to see the parts that 'fail' and a schematic of where it fits in the system as a whole. Is it a mechanical failure or an electrical/electronic failure?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not at all well read on 360 systems

19. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I don't have the schematic, someone with the shop manual will probably be able to scan and post. The variators are located at the end of the exhaust cams and actuated electrically by the ecu to advance and retard the cams based on load.

In April of 2001 Ferrari issued a TSB and alerted its network of fitting a new redesigned part and said the following:
    " The modification consist of a change in shank depth from 0.5mm to 2mm. The introduction of this modification eliminates the possible fracture of the shaft."
    While originally 360C cars were exposed to this failure and new parts were sent to 360C owners for replacement there were a few road cars that suffered the same predicament. Always the left bank variator would fail and when it did other components would go with it...
    And then in June of 2004 Ferrari released another TSB, which authorized its dealers to replace the defective parts with now the 3rd generation of cam variators for free when customers elect to replace their cam belts.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

As far as the tensioner goes, (forgive me for not being more detailed but I am doing this from my flawed memory) I have never experienced one myself but they were a real problem in Challenge cars. I think the tensioner problem predated the variator problem but they were breaking at the mount and letting the belt go slack then motor goes boom. One of the Challange guys told me before the redesign that they would pull the inspection panel and inspect the tensioner for cracks EVERY time the car came off the track and sometimes that was not enough, they were still losing motors. I really don't know if they were a problem on street cars but Ferrari just wants to change them and I will give them credit for that.

21. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for expanding 412fly

22. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Is there a serial number range for this campaign or recall?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, if you do a search I quoted the campaign and either I or 4i2fly gave the serial # range. There has been much posted on this in the last few months. I am not blowing you off but there is quite a bit of information you should know and it has already been said.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Matt, you are correct. I was just reviewing that old thread. The guy that said we were full of it, that variators were not an issue and had such good contacts at FNA, F SPA, Micholotto, and probably the Vatican that all assured him it was a non issue. Then he is so unhappy that his car does have those problems he needs to know who to write to at FNA, is also the guy that is now saying we are still full of it about the methodology and cost of fixing it.

Boy was I ever right, you can only lead them to water.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is 114015-123399. you should do a search on "variators" and read the thread "Attn 360 owners Important info".