246GTS Safety Triangle - what is correct? | FerrariChat

246GTS Safety Triangle - what is correct?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Feb 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have a safety triangle that came with my car, a 1972 246GTS #04456, build date September 1972, and recently I bought another one. Both are in green rectangular plastic cases. In the center of each case are the raised letters "CME." I have seen other safety triangles in other 246s with different colored cases and with different brand names. Anyone know what the correct case might be, or how many different types there are? Also, any idea how much they are worth?

Mark

2. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Mark, Call Jack Babbitt at NJB and associates. He is very knowledgable with regards to the 246 and may be able to anwser your question. www.ferrariguys.com 614-891-5678. LOL Robert

3. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    The panel has a very knowledgable member DINO246
    He will provide the A answer.

I will chime in if there is something to add

Tom Shaughnessy
    Dino Literature student

The flood gates are now open, let the information flow
    Pay Attention

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have two;

the one in the light yellow-green case has a flat prop rod that bends out and each reflector is attached to the next with a pivot and the lone ends affix with a built-in snap.

the one in the grey case has a pivot stand and only the middle reflector attaches to each of the other two and the lone ends affix with a built-in snap.

Each reflector is marked "costaplastik macherio APP.LL.PP.No6413"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    come on now Where is the BELUX discussion

ts

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Where is Belux printed? On the case or on the triangle?

7. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'm not sure I follow the thread here. Neither of my triangles have either the BELUX or the model serial # designation on them that I can find. My cases simply have CME stamped on them. I also don't understand the attachment stand description in Synchro's description. I will try to post a photo soon.

Thank you for the information.

Mark

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The "stand" is a piece of metal about half an inch wide by a foot long and is affixed to the reflective triangle to make it "stand up"

In one triangle it acts a s a "prop up" rod,
    in the other it acts as a base.

Mark, got a photo of your Triangle? I'm still sorting out if I have the correct ones...so I'm not making claims that mine are absolutely correct, but trying to get a group census

9. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thanks Synchro.

I will try to post a photo or two this weekend.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#11 dm_n_stuff, Apr 12, 2005
    Sorry to dig this back up, but is this a correct Dino triangle?

I asked the seller, but he wouldn't respond directly to my question which I found interesting as he is a concours judge.

Thanks panel of experts.

Dave M.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Correction:

Sr. FCA Judge and Pebble Beach Judge

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

After reviewing these posts, there apparently is no definitive answer to my original question -- whether my safety triangle is correct or not. Nor is there apparently an answer to dm_n_stuff's similar question.

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

OOPS. SORRY. Musta missed that part.

Now Tom, is this bad boy correct for a '69-74 246 Dino, as your Ebay listing implies, or not? "cause it sure would be great to be able to say at a concours, "Yep, Tom says it's correct, so it must be correct."

Dave M.

(edited to clarify my question.)

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  16. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #16 shaughnessy, Apr 13, 2005
  17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So Tom, does this mean it is correct for the 246 Dino GT/GTS '69-74? I'm trying to be specific as possible with my question.

I don't know why this is so difficult for you.

Or is it just the person asking the question that you consider difficult, or stoopid?

C'mon big guy, give it up. I'm not a bad guy, just an inquiring one that needs an answer, and you have it.

Dave

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks Tom,
    that looks identical to my blue case'd one above

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Scott.

I thought from your post that yours had a gray case. Is it in fact blue? That would clear this all up for me.

Dave

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I've followed this thread, and the other ones about rare cloths, jacks, etc. for the Vintage cars with interest.

I'm kinda confused here: if Tom Shaughnessy is the seller of the item on ebay, and a grand master Pebble Beach wizard, why not just acknowledge whether or not the triangle is concours-correct? It'd be really useful for several people on the board, and likely get you a higher price for the triangle. If it's not concours correct, just cut to the chase and let everyone know.

If I find an original Dino paper pad with Enzo's signature on it, what would that be worth??

-Daniel

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The price increases as the mystery swirls...

We'll find out its not for your cars AFTER the auction ;)

Art S.

PS. They sell pretty functional ones at Pepboys!

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You are correct, mine has a greyish-blue color to the case and not the solid sky blue color that I've seen others at FCA meets,
    nor does mine say "BELUX" on it,
    but the triangle does look identical to the one Tom is selling.

On Ebay I usually look for a seller's return policy to substantiate whether they'll stand behind their product or if they're selling something that they wouldn't dare sell you in person. That is the reason Ebay added that portion of the ad last year, too many shady deals by dodgy sellers

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    to my knowledge, there are two brands of the triangles that were used during the late sixties into the seventies. there is the "bellux" and the "other" brand (which i believe would be the "costaplastik"). both were used.

although the bellux is featured in the dino parts book on page 38, it isn't the only correct triangle. the bellux is a much nicer triangle and much better made. i have two. a grey cased triangle with ribs lining the case running in the longer direction. i also have a blue cased triangle that was removed from an original owner 74 dino many years ago. it has leather "pebble grain" finish. both of the bellux triangles have a much thinner plastic than the "other brand".

the "other brand" triangle is much more flimsy. the case is thicker and has ribs that runn across the shorter dimension. i have oone in a light green color and one in a yellow color. i have seen them in blue (such as the ebay triangle presently being auctioned) and clear, and greyish-clear.

consider for a moment the time at the ferrari factory that these items were being used. in the late 60's and early 70's, ferrari had been "taken over" by fiat. clearly, profits became a heavier focus than they had been previously, although we all know enzo used road cars to fund racing. do you think for a second that anyone was concerned with triangles? i know of several cars that were delivered without triangles, that doesn't mean that they left the factory w/o them. these were a simple, low cost item required to meet dot regulations, and nothing more. how common are these? i couldn't say. but, most cars you see don't have them.

i truely believe the colors are meaningless and do not correspond with particular models. they simply correspond with when current stock ran out at the factory, what was the cheapest available source? that is how they were bought and installed.

i am not going to put words in tom's mouth, but maybe this is the reason for his reluctance in speaking. nobody knows what the hell is certain with these cars, much less triangles. i would hope that any judge would base what was most likely correct to be a guide realizing that there were always exceptions. as far as i am concerned, a car with a "vintage correct" triangle is better than one without.

as for value, who knows. afterall, only a complete idiot would pay over $500 for a piece of wax paper that the dino keyfob came in.

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hmmm.....

And when you look that idiot in the eye, what do you say to him??

As usual, excellent info. Appreciate it both in the PM, and here in the public format where all of us who don't know, can learn something from those who do.

thanks,

Dave

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    as for that idiot, i would have to say that the wrapper was the first one that he came across in over 5 years, he must have made a good buy (yeah right!).

as for what i would have said to his wife,........hmmm.........."yes dear those several pairs of jimmy choo's do match that new handbag you want to buy. i think you should let me buy it because i love to see you look great!!!!"