355 clutch change procedure | FerrariChat

355 clutch change procedure

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RF128706, Mar 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
  2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    First class atrical mate, as i said when you posted it last year.Very easy to follow, more than some deserve on this site. Hows the engine removal going? Any more articals in the pipe line.

3. RF128706

RF128706 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Hi chaa, I've been snowed under at work since Christmas, just getting back to F-Chat & re-started on the 30k service articles. I'm going to post in stages, first part will be engine removal. I'm aiming to get it posted around Easter.

There will be 5 parts:
    1. Engine removal
    2. Inspection & Cleaning
    3. Service items (accessory drive belts, fluids, spark plugs, Lambda sensors etc.)
    4. Cam belts, tensioner and bearing replacement, including cam timing with protractor & DTI
    5. Engine re-installation

They take a lot of time to do properly, so not sure when they'll all be done.

Meanwhile, I've spent a couple of hours catching up on all the posts I've missed. Judging by some of the posts a few people seem a bit ratty at the moment. I think it's winter frustration. I'm not going to let that put me off - I want to try & stay positive, it'll soon be summer !

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Good man, looking forward to them.

5. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    With such VERY detailed explanation I'm considering myself as a professional mechanic. I can even consider serving a F1 car. :) I'll be looking forward for the required "how-to". LOL

Thanks again for your superbe doc.

Christophe.

6. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    By the way, during the whole clutch replacement you had to un-mount the by-pass valve. At this stage, have you noticed a termo-sensor just before or after it?

Am asking you that because I got last year some trouble (Slow Down light) that came-on right after the Ferrari dealer (decided on their own; yes you read it correctly) to block my by-pass valve in full open position.

Usually the "Slow Down" light is triggered by excessive temp in the CATs (the ceramic ones). As this could not have been the case - 1/2 of the gaz where diverted via the metalic CATs and the by-pass valve - I then though that the exhaust system may be equipped with three termo-sensor instead of only two. Such third sensor could have triggered the "Slow Down" light. Make sense isn't?

Thanks in advance.

Christophe.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a temp sensor just behind the bypass valve whose only job is to tell the Motronic when the valve is open or closed. If the valve is open or closed at the wrong time on a US car the check engine light will come on. That temp sensor and its ECU is identical to the items used for the cat temp/slow down lights. It is even mounted right next to the cat temp unit for the right side. It sounds as though someone has crossed some wires.

8. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I took all 10 of the 355 clutch change pdf's and combined them into one pdf. It is about 4 megs. I will be glad to email it to anyone wishing a copy

9. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    This definitively explain the "Slow down" problem I had last year! Thanks for your input Brian,

Christophe.