348 door panel removal (internal) | FerrariChat

348 door panel removal (internal)

Discussion in '348/355' started by S11eps, Apr 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. S11eps

S11eps Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Shepherd
    Morning guys,

Does anyone have a list of intsructions that they can post (or pm) that will inform me how to remove the lhs internal door panel from my 348??

My window is only dropping halfway, and it 'feels' like something may be obstructing the mechanism.

I want to whip the panel off to have a quick peek, but am unsure of the fixing points of this panel. Your help is much apprciated,

Simon

FloridaIsland348 likes this.
  2. GeorgW

GeorgW Karting

Jan 31, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    Hi,
    you have to remove the outer panel in order to access the window and its mechanic, there are 5 screws located at the outside and 2 nuts in front of the door at the inside.
    Good luck & Regards, Georg

3. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #3 Ferrari_tech, Apr 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Hi, Simon. I've done this job many times.

You can either go at it from the outside, via the "strakes", or from the inside, via the door panel sections.

To remove the outer door strakes, you need to unscrew the four socket head screws (4mm) down inside the fins, and two 10mm head bolts at the front of the door, in the door jamb area. Then the whole thing lifts off, giving you good access to the inside of the door.

To remove the door panel (which is in four sections):

1) Remove the vertical strip at the back of the panel with phillips screws (#20 in diagram). My 1990 348ts has an upper and lower strip, not a single.
    2) Remove one phillips screw on the front of the panel, at the door jamb area.
    3) The bottom (carpeted) panel is attached with two push clips, one at the front, one at the back. Pull the panel back carefully to release the plastic clips from the door frame, then pull the panel down to release it from behind the panel above it.
    4) The center panel has 4 of the plastic push clips. Carefully pull the panel back to release the clips from the frame.
    5) The grab handle has 2 10mm bolts on the bottom, and one phillips screw on the top.
    6) The release lever has 1 phillips screw.
    7) The upper panel has 3 phillips screws on the bottom, and 1 push clip at the back edge. You also have to unplug the wiring connectors at this point. Do it carefully so you don't yank the switches off the panel.
    If you want to remove the top section, just unscrew the lock button, remove the phillips screws on the bottom, and remove the mirror base trim piece. Easy, but doesn't really give any more access.

The whole job is very easy, the only area to use real caution is to be careful when pulling out the plastic clips so you don't break them. They can be replaced, of course, but they won't break if you're careful.

If you pull off the strakes, just be careful not to chip the paint. Pay particular attention when re-assembling that the front edge of the strakes does not hit the back of the front fender when you open the door, or you'll get a nick. Open the door very slowly and check the panel alignment. You'll want the strakes to be back as far as possible.

Give us a report on what you find in there!

5. S11eps

S11eps Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Shepherd
    Guys,

Thanks for your very thorough help.

I'm going to have a crack at this on Saturday, wish me luck!

I'll repor back on my findings!

Simon

6. FloridaIsland348

Aug 5, 2022
    Pensacola Beach
    Full Name:
    Scott Wheatley
    Thank you guys.
    Here are some photos of my door panel removal.
    Passenger widow will not go up using drivers side button.
    First I checked the door jam connections. Cleaned. Stab22. Looked good.
    Removed panels and unhooked the switches. Cleaned. Stab22
    Checked the cleaned switch. It works. Put the door panel back together carefully.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dolcevita likes this.
  7. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Interesting, this is also on my to do list. If I push the top of the glass outwards as it is dropping, it clears what it is catching on. Not the best but I live with it, until I have the time to address the problem properly. This thread will ultimately help.

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff