Ferrari's "new Dino"============ | FerrariChat

Ferrari's "new Dino"============

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tonyh, Apr 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #1 tonyh, Apr 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Nicke

Nicke Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2005
    Hellsinki
    Full Name:
    Nicke Forsell
    Hmmmmmmmmm.....I LIKE IT !!! :D Have any more infos ?

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    From Autocar;
    "The California is based on conventional steel monocoque chassis, although it uses a transaxle transmission located on the back axle. With the engine mounted well back in the nose, the combination gives a near perfect front/rear weight distribution.
    Insiders expect the California to use a modified version of today's 400 BHP 4.2 V8 Maser engine , which would confirm the California's position below the F430 in the Ferrari line up, with it's 490 4.3 V8.

4. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    a baby 612 :D looks cool.

5. ferrari_f50_2@hotmail.com

BANNED

Sep 9, 2004
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    waw so ittl go into production for sure? i wonder how close those pictures are to the real thing though...

6. Foxy_355

Foxy_355 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2004
    Berkshire, UK
    Don't you think it looks a little like the Chrysler X-fire at the back! :(

I'm not totally convinced atm, but I'm sure I'll be won round eventually!

Foxy x

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Call me the sceptic, but I don't see Ferrari making another car platform as part of their business plan...

8. NaeemT

NaeemT Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2005
    Birmingham (UK)
    Full Name:
    NaeemT
    i don't think they should add another car to the range, especially if its a cheaper and smaller one.
    you will probably c more people with them, a bit like Porsche good cars but every tom d*ck and harrys got one, u know what i mean
    if u going to spend a lot of money u want to get something that no one has or not many people have.
    Aston Martin are falling in the same pit.
    i think its just about making money to the car makers. :(

what u think

9. shin

shin Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Full Name:
    Shin
    I bet this is the rumored reworked next generation Maserati Coupe to be the new entry-level Ferrari, down to its engine. The AMV8 looks way better.

10. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Vague rumor + photochop = publishable rumor. Investigative reporting for the 21st C. :rolleyes:

Anyone else notice that Maserati was "part of" Ferrari for less time than it generally takes to run a new platform through development? Fiat's inability to implement a long term plan makes you wonder if the board is a democracy. ;)

11. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Nice looking car IMO and would certainly want to see it in production.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Autocar - "styling will NOT be based on the aborted Maser coupe/spyder replacements".

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Agreed.

But they have passed off Maserati, which was their "low end" brand to scoop up the $80-120k range. This might be a way to get it back, but would probably kill the Maserati Coupe [and it's inspired name] in the process.

I don't believe this though. And as much as I'd like a AMV8 and Elise-fighting Ferrari, I dislike the look of these renders. Too "scrunched." Like those car cartoons.

However, it's rather bland sides and lower age target would be a dream for me and my business: there's plenty of work do be done and I'm sure people would be willing to mod these.

14. shin

shin Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Full Name:
    Shin
    Of course they should alter the styling to be more 'Ferrari', but can they claim that the engine/inner parts (read : the car as a whole minus the bodywork) will NOT be based on the aborted Coupe/Spider? ;)

Btw, tonyh, thanks for the news! very interesting indeed! :)

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass

They passed on it because they couldn't make it work (the reasons of which have been covered in many different threads, I still think I should write up that one as an HBS case study).

That price segment of the market is far too competitive for a small manufacturer...

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Im confused ...

The Maser Spyder is aborted ?

And that Dino would be great but i dont see it happening .Btw , from 3/4 rear its Pure Daytona..

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    . . . and even if Ferrari does add such a car to the stable, 'California' is totally inappropriate. A coupe at the low end of the Ferrari product line would have absolutely nothing in common with its namesake 250 or 365 Californias.

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    "...The California is based on conventional steel monocoque chassis, although it uses a transaxle transmission located on the back axle. With the engine mounted well back in the nose, the combination gives a near perfect front/rear weight distribution..."

After all the trouble Ferrari has gone to introduce new cars with Alu. chassis why would they want to take a step backward with this car? I think not likely, doesn't make sense.

19. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Horrible.

Luca, please don't let it happen. :mad:

20. shin

shin Karting

Apr 8, 2004
    Full Name:
    Shin
    To cut costs. The Maser Coupe/Spider was steel, so it makes perfect sense. The car could even be built by Maserati or Maserati would supply the body panels and engine.

And don't get me wrong. I'm against this, but I think it's going to happen sooner or later. :(

21. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John

Bingo.

22. Maverix

Maverix Karting

Apr 26, 2004
    Kent UK
    Full Name:
    David Crompton
    My letter of intent went in about 2pm this afternoon :)

23. asifsure

asifsure Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Tiffany Chin
    Nice Find Tony! I look forward to seeing it. Doubt it will be a great as the original one though, I'll still love it. :)

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

I agree that there are many cars in the mid 100's, but if they can make $100k Maseratis, why can't they make similar $160k Ferraris? Not too sure that this car would do to their unwritten 4000 car annual production rule though. Maybe the Dino name could be ressurrected to avoid this.

Many elite manufacturers have tried to move downmarket and have found it more difficult than they anticipated, IMHO. M-B and Porsche are really the only two I can think of that have really flourished as a result of making cheaper cars.

I have to wonder if Ferrari's selling of Maserati is not an indicator of some really big news concerning Ferrari's ownership in the near future.

25. Sophia

Sophia Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2003
    Dash Point/Federal W
    Full Name:
    Peter Barbin
    Perhaps this is the "uncovered" 575 replacement I saw running around last October in Maranello...that car was a V-12 mule under wraps. Ferrari doesn't need another V-8...the trio of variants is plenty.