Looking for STOCK 308 Alignment Specs | FerrariChat

Looking for STOCK 308 Alignment Specs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nuvolari, Apr 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I did a search and came up with lots of alignment variations but no stock settings. Does anyone have the OEM alignment specs for a 308GTB fitted with 16" wheels?

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #2 Mike C, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andreas Engesvik likes this.
  3. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi Rob

Check the Technical Bulletins on my web site, http://dino308gt4. I recall that somewehre in that PDF file there are alignment specs.

Gerrit

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Are they not in your owner's manual?
    Also, Mike is correct. No carb car left the factory with 16 inch wheels.

5. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Would the settings that mcharness posted be correct for a 308 GT4 with 16" wheels as well (i.e. are the specs the same for the gt4 and the 308?

Dom

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Admittedly my priorities were getting even tire wear and having a good "GT feel" rather than operating at the ultimate limit, but on my ex-308 with the 16" 308QV wheels I wound up using:

front toe-in 1~2mm
    front camber -1.5 deg
    rear toe-in 2~3mm
    rear camber -.75 deg

The big rear toe-in and big negative camber in those QV specs always looks too "squat" to me (and will wear the inside egdes prematurely IME).

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Actually, I tend to wear the outer edges, but that's probably more from my track days than my agressive street driving.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you all for the information. I got the car aligned to OEM specs and it drives great.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #9 robertgarven, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Friends,

This is for my 1975 308 GT4. I just replaced a rebuilt steering rack and had quite a bit of trouble getting it in and the wheel centered lock to lock. There is no one in my town that I trust to do anything including changing tires which is sad. There is a Non-factory Mercedes shop a few block away and I am trying to get them to even do my front toe in. They have Hunter 4 wheel laser machine. I asked if I can sit in the car so I can hold the wheel straight as this is important to me. I drive the car 95% of the time by myself, but not sure if they will even go for this. I always was Very happy with my handling so I wish i could just get it back to where it was or close

The factory 308 GT4 toe in says 1-3mm. I have never done this before but what should I ask for. Steve says 1-2mm. If these machine are so perfect should I give them 2mm?

Also even though I dont want to mess with the castor the book says Min 0°10' ÷ Max 0°30' I dont want to seem stupid but could someone translate this for me. I have access to shims but once again have no trust in anyone touching my car. Plus since I was so happy with it before do not want to mess anything up....

I was told that you could set up the toe in reasonably well using a string and a ruler. I cant figure how this is done. Does someone have a writeup or explanation. My wheel is centered but my right disc seems turned in too much would like to get it rough if I could.

Supposedly the F1 teams did this in the 70's which seem adequate enough for me. If I could figure it out. Can you do this with the wheels off using the disc brakes?

Rob

I am running 16 qv wheels on euro GT4's they were and option. I cant see why the wheel size would change the toe in? BTW I went 10 years on Bridgestone so2's with no noticeable uneven tire wear. All around wrere very even which lead to me replacing them and finding a bent rear qv wheel if anyone knows where one in good shape is let me know.....

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Wow this thread reminded me that it has been 8 years since I have re-built my suspension and done my alignment. How time flies.

Getting back to the new questions at hand, doing a string alignment is highly accurate and is still used by most race teams and can be done in minutes. That said if you do not know what you are doing you will chase your tail for days and get nowhere. Modern alignment machines are quick and efficient which explains why even the most expensive shops will do an alignment for under $100. My advice is ask around for a recommended alignment shop and take it there. In SoCal you are spoiled for choice as there are thousands of crazy dollar supercars and hot rods that get computer alignments all the time. I used Clarks House of Suspension in Lake Forest with excellent results and I'm willing to bet that I'm more OCD than you :)

Regarding doing a string alignment off of the rotors, this is not possible unless the suspension is fully loaded. On full droop the toe changes (called bump steer) so unless you can load all 4 wheels this is not possible.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    It sounds like all that you have changed would be the toe in. This should be easy for any tire outlet to correct and place the steering wheel straight. I would only have the toe in checked and adjusted. The caster/camber should not be an issue if you did not touch them. I had mine checked about 8 years ago at a Mavis Discount Tire shop. No big deal as they let me drive it up on the alignment machine and I watched the procedure. Go ask a few car dealers who does their alignment work.

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

No one explained what the camber specs in Italian mean?

Rob

13. dino_bob

dino_bob Karting

Sep 27, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #13 dino_bob, Aug 12, 2013
  14. dino_bob

dino_bob Karting

Sep 27, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Robert
  15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Min 0°10' = Minimum Camber Angle 0 degrees 10 arc-minutes = +1/6 degree = +0.17 degrees

Max 0°30' = Maximum Camber Angle 0 degrees 30 arc-minutes = +1/2 degree = +0.5 degrees

These (positive) camber values are meant to ensure that the car understeers -- I'd go -1 deg camber at least (as stated before).

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Rob, camber is the angle your wheels lean in or out; in at the top is negative camber, out at the top is positive camber. Castor is the angle your front wheels axis of turn is angled at (forwards or backwards) - sometimes referred to as the King pin axis. Both are measured in degrees, but fractions of a degree are measured in minutes (1/60th of a degree) in the old speak, so divide by 60 to get a decimal value.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #17 tazandjan, Aug 12, 2013
    Wow, some of the early posters were really full of crap. 16" wheels were optional on carbed 308s and my 78 came from the factory with them. Why so positive when clearly wrong? Oh, yeah, it is the internet.

Of course, that was 8 years ago, so maybe they have learned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

VIZSLA likes this.
  18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #18 robertgarven, Aug 13, 2013
    Terry,

Here are the wheels in the 1979 GT4 book, which show the 7Jx16 and 8Jx16 Cromodora wheels were an option on the GT4 for European delivery. I cant speak for any of the other 308's as the GT4 is the model I have spent most my time researching. Just because its not on that spec sheet does not make it unavailable. A front spoiler was an option on all the GT4's and that isn't on that sheet either.

I have talked to owners who have Euro cars that came with the 16" wheels including little factory mud flaps on the back. I will ask my friend with the euro car with 16" wheels for some more info. I was not marked off at the last 3 FCA shows after showing the Factory parts book. FCA rules state aftermarket parts are incorrect but factory options are acceptable. There is some uncertainty in my mind how early you could order the car with these as an option but I know 1978 for sure and maybe late 1977. So technically they are incorrect for my 1975 car but not for the GT4 model per se

Steve, Doc. Bob & everyone else who have responded.

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the camber and shim just could not figure out how to translate the specs in the WSM. It makes sense now. I do not understand how you change the castor on the front suspension. Is it adjusted with the same control arm shims or are there other ones that are added/subtracted?

Thanks for all your help. Im not done yet so will need some more help. I will get the figures on the camber etc at the shop but just want to get the toe in correct. As I said the car handled what seemed perfect to me with my limited experience. Alway handled impeccably, never lost control in a turn, never felt over my head. No matter how fast I cornered I always felt the car had way more ability than I had....

Driving picture was snapped by another Ferrari guy as I was driving to Monterey in 2004 on Highway 1 :) Last pic is receiving a silver award at on of the largest Dino gatherings ever! I passed both cars that beat me on trailers on the way home!

Rob

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #19 Steve Magnusson, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Shims in a different location -- items 9 & 10 here:

Ferrari 308GT4 Parts : Table 33 - FRONT SUSPENSION - WISHBONES

Unless you've replaced a major component, caster won't be much different even if that part of the system is disassembled/reassembled.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, but it didn't come from the F factory to you. What (these US based) people are SO POSITIVE about is that 16" 308 wheels were not in the US from F until much later. If someone (including myself) needs a correction, post a correction, but no need for such abrasiveness (until deserved ;)).

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #21 tazandjan, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    Steve- My car was a 78 Euro GTS, 25125, that did have the 16" wheels and four outlet exhaust from the factory. Three years old when I picked her up. One statement was no carbed cars came with 16" wheels from the factory. No mention of US specs. Clearly incorrect.

Abrasiveness seems to come easily here with all the experts passing out bad info. No info is better than bad info. Not everyone lived in the US all their lives.

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, but why not post a "positive-attitude" correction rather than an insult? Something like "that's true for US version carbed 308 when delivered in the US, but not euro version 308".

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Point taken.

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

And I do consider you all my friends!

I was only asking about the alignment specs!

My belief is the the more you know about Ferrari the more you understand how little you really know. I have been concentrating on the GT4 for 25+ years now and have owned mine about 20. I liked them when they were not fashionable and maybe they will achieve the status they deserve. Even if not I still love my car. Styles may change but good taste never does. The GT4 is also a weird model that had a make over in 1975-76 so many cars have strange parts that were changed by the dealer before sale per the ferraris tech bulletin ( which I was the first to post online). I have my original set of wheels and would never sell them even have 2 unmounted 7.5x14 Campagnolo NOS wheels I can whip out when anyone wants to know the real color!.

I have a real question. I am very visual and this is why I dont understand the front suspension as I have never taken it apart and wish I would have but this was supposed to be a fluid change.

I think I understand the kingpin shims by adding more to one side on the top or bottom would change the castor angle? The PB says the qty of 8 each which just enough to put two in each position. I will have a close look at mine this weekend to se what is in there.

Have any of you changed these or had to change them. I would be interested in the explanation.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and advice.

Rob

25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I am trying to get my car aligned better and I am curious. The shop I am going to has the toe in in degrees how many degrees is the 1 to 3mm toe in? I am also curiousI dont think you can adjust the suspension when under load so I guess you take your measurement then add or subtract more shims? Once again there is no one I can trust to work on my car, based on past experiences and since I am mathematically challenged I was wondering if you all would try to help me with my adjustments. I do have the nifty shim kit I bought from Carl J many years ago just waiting to be used.......

Rob