308 GT4 as Daily Driver- The First Week | FerrariChat

308 GT4 as Daily Driver- The First Week

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dom, Apr 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    This week I started driving my 308 GT4 daily, since my Alfa is getting repainted. Just thought I would describe a few of my observations with using one of these as a daily driver:

1) I always get to work with a smile on my face

2) No matter how bad the day has been (I've been putting out fires all week), I have something fun to look forward to on the way home. Very nice way to relax.

3) So far, no problems with the car.

4) Car seems to be running smoother/better. This is a seat of the pants type observation, don't have any raw numbers to prove it. But nonetheless, it just feels better. Normally, I take the car out a couple times a week, so it may go 4-5 days before starting. If I let it go too long without driving, it would start up then stall and I'd have to restart it. Now that it has been driven every day this week it starts great and runs great.

5) Even here in Socal, where 360's are a dime a dozen, it still gets noticed occasionally. Especially when I stop by the shop that is painting my alfa. All the techs from the other car businesses on the street come out to look, and ask questions. Most recognize the car as a ferrari (although it has also been identified as a pantera, and a lamborghini), though don't know what the model is. A few of the techs recognized the Dino name.

6) Gas mileage. Duh!, what did you expect. My guess is 10-12 MPG, but I've been doing alot of city driving, and lots of revving when the car is warm.

7) Since the car is parked outside during the day, it gets really dusty/dirty. It just means that I've got to spend a few minutes each night dusting it off/quick detailing it. The windows especially get dirty.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town next week, so it will sit in the garage, but when I get back I will continue to drive the car until the Alfa is finished (estimated 3-4 weeks).

I highly recommend driving these cars. They won't fall apart, and it seems like they just get better.

Dom

2. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Dom

It's really neat to hear your driving the car all the time. I can't say I'll ever do that with mine though. I'd like to think I could but it would'nt be pratical for me. I've been considering picking up a driver that gets better gas milage, and have been considering an alfa. There is a sprint velose or something like that localy for sale. Also a few spiders. What can you tell me about alfa's in general? Would they fit the bill for me or should I look at something else?

Kurt

There is nothing like a Ferrari, there never has been and never will be!

3. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I just got my 328 about three weeks ago and have driven it every day. I plan on using it as my daily driver all through the summer and fall. It's too much fun to just let it sit in the garage.

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    My Honda sticker expires the end of April. if I don't get the new one which I ordered a MONTH ago by May 1st I guess I'll have to drive the Lotus to work. Poor me! LOL I actually drive just 2 miles to the train station so I rarely do that; the short trips wouldn't do the car any good if I did it daily.

Ken

5. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I agree Dom. I've been driving mine every day for a week (until it started to rain yesterday) and it is so much fun. Just got a valve adjustment and it starts up every time. The only draw back is you'll reach the milage limit for the belts before the time limit :( Cha ching!

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not to hijack the thread - but I had a 3 day turnaround on my Sticker for the P-car (and I even had them correct the county on the registration). Might want to check on things...

Or maybe there is a DMV worker in your neighborhood who wants to see the Europa more often :)

On driving the Dino daily - well done! It should get MORE looks than 360s (it is probably outnumbered by 360s at least 10 to 1 in Cali!).

7. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Dom,

I enjoyed the post. A comment and a couple of questions, please:

Ref (5): We live in different environments if 360s are a dime a dozen! I'd sprain my neck visiting your neck of the woods.

Ref (6): How does she do idling in traffic? i.e. heat. I noticed your fans from your track photo (great shot, btw). Are your fans aftermarket and what type of thermostat do you use?

Ref (7): What are you using for a quick detailer?

I could not agree more with your last comment concerning consistent and frequent driving. My experience has showed it holds true for more than just cars.

Do you plan on parking her once the AR is done or will you keep her in the rotation? d

8. plasmid

plasmid Karting
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2005
    Alfa's are great (as daily drivers). Almost as reliable as a Ferrari (308GT4)
    - this is a compliment. Never had problems with Alfa's and Ferrari's.
    (problems with .de cars however)

Bought a 79 Alfetta GTV in Europe this past autumn, drove it all over the continent (circa 15k kms) despite the prior owner's "completamente pazzo" - absolutely 0 problems. Beautiful car, beautiful sound, _very_ spacy, good fuel economy.

Alfa Spider - I drive a 91 in the .US
    Principal issue = convertible, ie. may leak, may not be as secure as a hard top and ... women l o v e Alfa spiders.

For city driving, Alfa's over Ferrari's any day.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread...... i doubt i will be able to swing a carb boxer this year, but i have been thinking of getting a gt4 to keep my gtb from bieng alone in the shop. other than the points ignition, these cars are great!

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, Southern California has tons of 360's. See the crystal cove picture threads for some photos of what we see weekly every sat morning.

In traffic the car does fine. Cooling system is stock. I think the main key is to make sure the system is bled properly and in good order. Knock on wood, but I've never had a problem with the cooling system.

For a quick detailer, I use either Meguiars or Mother's quick detailers. Whatever I have handy.

My normal daily driver is a 1991 Alfa 164S. Very nice, reliable car. The clear coat had failed on this car, and that's why I decided to get it repainted. The Alfa is definately a "better" daily driver in terms of comfort (air conditioning that works, quieter, less smelly, i.e., a more modern car). When it gets done, I will continue to use it as a daily driver. I had been using the GT4 to drive to work once a week, then usually one or two weekend drives. After this experience, I think I may try to use it more often.

Carreaper- When I bought my GT4, I had the mechanic switch over to a MSD+Pertronix optical triggering system. No points to deal with. Very worthwhile to make this upgrade.

Dom

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i have tried twice to order the pertronix, and i love msd. the pertronix seems to be unavailable for the marrelli dizzys right now. i waited 8 weeks last time i ordered from summit, and then canceled the order. :( glad tor ead your car is so fun and reliable. its cool and clear here, i am about to take the GTB to Tybee beach for a run. cheers.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My 93 Vette convertible is my daily driver, gives me something to look forwards to on a nice sunny day.

Once the Slutmobile arrives & I DeGansta it I'll split daily driving duties between the 2 cars

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Congrats, Dom! The new car has a good home!

-Peter

14. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey Peter, long time no see!! Is my old Alfa spider still around NC? I wish I had never sold it.

Dom

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The key to using an Italian car for a daily is the maintenance -- if you can get comprehensive regular maintenance, then you've got a daily driver.

I drove Alfas as my only cars for ten years (Spider plus Alfetta then GTV6). When Fiat bought Alfa and the local Alfa shop closed, I had to opt for a rice burner for a daily (Celica AllTrac), as a Fiatized Alfa dealer ruined the GTV6's engine.

My 328 was my summer daily driver for several years. Then I got the 60K service at a shop with a good reputation, ... and the car hasn't run right since. (Few mechanics are any good with computer ignitions.)

Alas, for all of my cars, most "routine maintenance" lately has made the cars worse, rather than better. And Italians just won't run every day without routine maintenance.

(I'm dreading taking the EVO to a Mitsu shop for a 15K -- most Mitsus in the US are bic-mobile disposables. Few dealers will be able to handle the EVO.)

16. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Dom, glad to hear you are having a blast with the GT4! Fun cars to drive. Only drive mine every sunday, but you are right, the GT4 loves to be driven!

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Sorry to highjack but this pertains to drivability.

Michael,
    You can probably get two Crane XR700's in 3 days. My 308 has an optical pickup in each distributor but the hot set up is to run both pickups in one distributor to take advantage of a single advance mechanism for both banks while retaining both distributors. The entire setup is about the same as the cost of 4 sets of new points.

Set it and for get it!